Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Liverpool - Title
Leicester - CL
Man U - Potential CL
Wolves - Potential CL
Sheff U - Potential CL/Europe

Anyone else have anything to gain by the season continuing?

Just start over next season. City banned from CL, so 18/19 5th place Arsenal in the CL, and 8th place Everton move in to the EL.

Edited by kurtsimonw

Just now, Djemba_Villan said:

A bit of good PR for doing absolutely nothing.

Haha. Ye,  why not? Haven't Liverpool lost something like 4 of their last 5. Continue on that trajectory in the league and it actually finishes pretty close.

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

I think things are already very,very, very peculiar mate. Only a world war has ever suspended football league play in over 130 years.

This virus is unprecedented. This can spread and affect hundreds of people within minutes. Even if we play behind closed doors, teams could be lacking players if they are affected. It means that some teams might not be full strength - let alone allowing the disease to spread. Do we keep players managers and staff locked up in a prison away from friends and family as well?

Ah well, at least it'll give us something to talk about until there's football.

It isn't going to be easy t sort this out for the games movers, shakers and rule makers, but I think we can rest assured that at the end of the day they'll make the decision that makes the most money.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, turvontour said:

But why would southampton, palace, Newcastle etc want to play in a PL where 5 teams are relegated next season? Also likes of Fulham are just outside automatic places, then being told they are just playoffs? That's the same as saying we are relegated. I appreciate there is no way of keeping everyone happy.

I think because with that situation you only piss off the sides below the playoffs. 

Fulham are six points behind and they need to win two games in a playoff to get into the prem. 

you can’t please everyone as you say but I think with this proposal you only need to complete the playoffs for the leagues in the summer, and that’s pretty much it. 

those missing out on playoffs you could look at a settlement for those 

I suggested the other day that the bottom 3 could playoff against the top 3 of the Championship.  If we can't beat the likes of West Brom or Fulham over two legs then we probably deserve to get relegated.  I'm pretty sure Liverpool will get handed the title and as suggested City might get some goodwill towards overturning their ban if they agree to it.

14 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I suggested the other day that the bottom 3 could playoff against the top 3 of the Championship.  If we can't beat the likes of West Brom or Fulham over two legs then we probably deserve to get relegated.  I'm pretty sure Liverpool will get handed the title and as suggested City might get some goodwill towards overturning their ban if they agree to it.

If we won our game in hand, we wouldn't be in the bottom three, so it's a no from me.😉 Let's just call the whole thing off..

• Like 4

4 hours ago, tinker said:

Judging by the rate of spread  it will be all over within a month,  good for us to re group amd rebuild confidence.. 

It won't even be warming up in a month.  We are 2 weeks behind Italy. Italy only have 17,000 cases right now which is what 0.2% of the population? 

We've got 3 or 4 months to go before we start getting to half way on this. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, AVTuco said:

It only takes killing a couple hundred thousand people to keep Villa up. I'm all for it.

It's probably going to be around 1 million to 1.5 million if we match global rates.  Though I think the herd effect kicks in before then so maybe 900,000 or so.  Joking aside it's quite sobering.  However it's why they will definitely not play again this season in my opinion. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gurru991 said:

Points per game average.

3 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Unfortunately that wouldn't even give us an entire point 😞

It's a home game though.  Would have to average our home game points. 

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ah well, at least it'll give us something to talk about until there's football.

It isn't going to be easy t sort this out for the games movers, shakers and rule makers, but I think we can rest assured that at the end of the day they'll make the decision that makes the most money.

When you think about it there is no right answer. No outcome that everyone could call fair.  Someone will be angry and upset WHATEVER they do.

Therefore the only course of action they actually have and least risky outcome really is to just void the season entirely. It leaves no room for accusations of unequal treatment, of well what ifs.  It's just voided and never happened. 

Europe will have to decide about the European places though.  My view is repeat last year's qualifiers and delay the Man City ban by a season. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, turvontour said:

Are you seriously contemplating the coronavirus having disappeared in 3 weeks?

No. Not sure where you have got that from.

I said in 3 weeks time for when next fixture is scheduled we could get the next league game cancelled as other players or managers could get the virus.  

Edited by Demitri_C

Yes, most likely scenario is a line through the whole season.

Second most likely (IMO) involves Liverpool being awarded the title while Leeds and West Brom are awarded promotion. Graded compensation for Championship teams in 3rd to 6th.

A 22-team PL would be the perfect excuse to scrap the League Cup and, even after two years of four going down to restore a 20-team PL, I doubt it would ever be seen again.

The final 8 of the Champions League would be played out in the US in late July / early August (one-leg matches), taking the place of the usual pre-season tournament there. Ditto the final 8 of the Europa League somewhere in the gulf states.

Both tournaments would provide the necessary boost for these summer "International Champions Trophy" competitions (or whatever the hell they are called) to complete the step-up from friendly games to officially sanctioned UEFA tournaments – being able to claim a shared heritage with the real deal. Thus making UEFA and the host countries very happy.

That's my best guess anyway.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

A lot of people on Twitter are mentioning this ‘75% of games played’ rule, which says that a season can be finished if 75% of the games have been played. I think it was in relation to when a club withdraws, but people are saying it could potentially be applied here and the league positions taken as they are.

The funny thing is that without playing our game in hand, we haven’t played 75% yet :D We’re at something like 73.5. How lucky is that. Thanks Arteta

Haha. That could be the clincher. There are 4 teams who have played less than 75% of the season. 

• Like 1