Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I'm not going to lose faith after being 30secs away from draw against CL finalists that had 3rd best form going into game since Mourinho joined

If we could beat all the poor teams that would probably be enough - but last time out we lost to Bournemouth - the way things are shaping up we now have to beat some of the decent sides - something we have consistently failed to do and failed again yesterday.

Bit too much doom and gloom on this thread imo.

Yesterday was shocking (the defending was worse than the Lescott/Richards era) but it was par for the course without Mings. It was the same with the awful performances around xmas, yes the new formation got a load of credit at Burnley but I would say it was more his return.

I have said it all season we are basically a 4 man team, Grealish, Mings Mcginn and the keeper. The rest are periphery players who aren't good enough and basically follow the lead of the aforementioned. However, I think we can upgrade it to 5 based on Samatta's performance. Now Targett is playing out of his skin (so possibly 6?). Luiz is still showing glimpses. So we are getting better no about doubt it, but it's a given if we lose Mings / Grealish we are not going to win and if we lose either for the season and we are relegated. But we knew that anyway? 

• Like 1

The season Leicester survived relegation they were on eighteen points after twenty-six games, and four points from safety, so not sure why we're being compared to them, as we're in a completely different situation and aren't required to go on anything like the run they went on in order to survive.

Predicted Points   - 35 

Leicester A = 0

Chelsea H = 1

Newcastle A = 0

Leicster a = 0

Man U h = 1

Crystal P - H =3

Everton A = 0

Arse H = 1 

Sheff U H = 3 

WH A = 1 

35 points will most likely see us relegated 

9 minutes ago, useless said:

The season Leicester survived relegation they were on eighteen points after twenty-six games, and four points from safety, so not sure why we're being compared to them, as we're in a completely different situation and aren't required to go on anything like the run they went on in order to survive.

I think the general point was that our position isn't beyond hope.

My more gloomy prognosis is that we look likely to have to get points where none are expected. Really only Man U away falls into that category , and given that we aren't bombproof against poor sides its quite difficult to see where points are coming from.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I'm not going to lose faith after being 30secs away from draw against CL finalists that had 3rd best form going into game since Mourinho joined

I'm normally in tune with most of your posts but... we're not even a candle to the Leicester of 2014/15. And, being 30 seconds away from a draw against CL finalists is not all that unusual for us this season. Liverpool... lost at the death having been 8 (?) minutes from actually winning. It isn't the occasional game against a CL finalist that has mattered for us... It's the 6-1 bumming... the big losses away at Watford... the big loss at home to Southampton (!!)... getting doubled by Bournemouth... VAR fingered at Palace... no show at Wolves... tiring away at Spurs. Week after week, I've seen posts like 'this one is down to Smith...' It's happened one way or the other far too often. We concede. It's inevitable. We're going to need to score at least 4 to be in with a shout in the Cup Final because I no longer have faith in our defence.

Defensively, we've let ourselves down so many times. I'm all for 'keeping the faith...' but crikey, that faith shouldn't be blind. And no, I am not accusing you of being blind 👍 

Edited by Raver50032
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, hippo said:

35 points will most likely see us relegated

35pts would've kept you up last 3 seasons. Are you factoring in teams being on the beach in your results?

Also left out Southampton A and Wolves H. Assume 2nd Leicester is Liverpool who may have title wrapped up

Edited by Kiwivillan

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

35pts would've kept you up last 3 seasons. Are you factoring in teams being on the beach in your results?

No - pretty sure there will be twists and turns - who can handle the pressure, who panic's,  suspensions  -games where teams push for all 3 points where as ordinarily they settle for one.

Having followed a few RB's in recent years - its mostly done and dusted by the last day - Hence the WHU game on 17/5 probably wont decide anything.

Perhaps we need to beat Chelsea and Wolves at home and those unexpected results chug us over the line..

Southampton is a must win. It has to be 3 points. I think West Ham is too but hopefully it will all be done by then. But realistically I think this is going to the wire and we need to win that game. 

So that's 6 points. Putting us on 31. I think we need 40 to stay up this year. I know it's been a long time since it was needed. But I don't think you stay up on 34-37 points this year. Maybe high 30s but I wouldn't want to bank on it.

Newcastle, Sheffield, Palace, Wolves, United and Everton. 3 wins from those. 

I think it's doable. Bloody tough and we need McGinn, Mings, Grealish and Samatta to stay injury free to the end of the season to do it. But I think it's doable.

Fwiw (and contradicting the rest of the post) I think we make it hard for ourselves by not beating Southampton

Win: Newcastle, Sheffield, Man U and West Ham 

Draw: Southampton, Palace

Lose: Chelsea, Liverpool, Leicester, Wolves,  Everton and Arsenal

39 Points and 45k people watching streams of the final minutes of Arsenal v Watford and Burnley v Brighton inside The London Stadium, dressed as something ridiculous no doubt 😄😄

Edited by HalfTimePost

1 hour ago, villanmac said:

Bit too much doom and gloom on this thread imo.

Yesterday was shocking (the defending was worse than the Lescott/Richards era) but it was par for the course without Mings. It was the same with the awful performances around xmas, yes the new formation got a load of credit at Burnley but I would say it was more his return.

I have said it all season we are basically a 4 man team, Grealish, Mings Mcginn and the keeper. The rest are periphery players who aren't good enough and basically follow the lead of the aforementioned. However, I think we can upgrade it to 5 based on Samatta's performance. Now Targett is playing out of his skin (so possibly 6?). Luiz is still showing glimpses. So we are getting better no about doubt it, but it's a given if we lose Mings / Grealish we are not going to win and if we lose either for the season and we are relegated. But we knew that anyway? 

Good post IMO. I think what I would say with regard to the bolded is that there's not much reason for anyone to have changed their priors about how likely we are to go down, based on that game. Realistically, we were always likely to lose roughly half of our remaining games (even if we stay up) and the game yesterday was one of the more likely ones to lose. Undoubtedly the manner of the defeat has caused some of this doom and gloom; I imagine that if we had recorded a routine 2-0 loss people would be a bit more positive, which is a bit perverse, since we came within 30 seconds of getting a point, and actually took the game to them quite well at times.

This brings me to the other point, which is that the only way yesterday will significantly damage our chances of staying up is if the team let the manner of the defeat affect them mentally.

5 hours ago, tinker said:

We lost Benteke and then we went down .

I think with the way we finished 12-13 with Benteke-Gabby-Weimann causing carnage most games most people thought we'd push on the next season and finish comfortable mid table. Never happened mostly due to signing likes of Bacuna, Luna, Helenius etc who were obviously no better and worse than what we had.

Actually the one summer I felt sorry for Lambert, not backed when we were in reasonable position of strength.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I felt so devastated after yesterday’s game I went to bed. It’s just a game, how it can it make us feel that way? I’ve decided football isn’t a healthy past time and I am going to slowly move away from following the ‘ugly’ game.  Might have a cup final ticket for sale. Will let you know. 

You'll get over it....nice bus ride in?😉

• Haha 1