Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

BBC saying Nigel Pearson favourite for the Watford job, Sky also saying that a deal is close, and he's apparently odds on favourite with the betting, so looks like there's a good chance that that's going to happen. Did a good keeping Leicester up that season when they looked to have no chance of staying up.

3 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

As we approach the half way point of the season we sit 2 places and 1 point above the relegation zone. After spending over £130m in the summer (second only to manure I believe) this is unacceptable and we should be doing much better. Sheffield United spent about a sixth of what we did and have an inferior squad yet they are flying.

Its easy said but in reality,

We got Mings, El Ghazi and Hause for more than 30m. So this was just for keeping our 3 loanees. The other two we weren’t able to keep, otherwise they’d cost us 40-50m. So just to keep our starting 11 from the Championship where we finished 5th, we’d have needed 70-80m. Any other improvements isn’t counted there. So its not as we spent just to improve.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, useless said:

BBC saying Nigel Pearson favourite for the Watford job, Sky also saying that a deal is close, and he's apparently odds on favourite with the betting, so looks like there's a good chance that that's going to happen. Did a good keeping Leicester up that season when they looked to have no chance of staying up.

I don’t think we need to worry too much about Watford for the time being. They’re have a hard run, They could have some run and form, but it won’t be easy mentally. Their fixtures aren’t helping. Our game with then in the new year would be huge though, so until then we’ll have to worry about teams around us as: Soton, Bournemouth, Brighton, Everton, even Newcastle, Burnley and Sheffield. 

As we saw with Southampton, teams can always bounce back (ofcourse hitting form in the best time which we still haven’t done). We hit it last time but then went to Man City, then again at Old Trafford, to find ourselves at Chelsea then Leicester. 

Watford and Everton have some bad fixtures coming up gladly. Bournemouth too.

I don’t think Norwich will survive, Everton could survive for sure. Not sure about Watford, but even if they do it would be a long long season for them and they will need to do a great scape.

We’ll have a better picture after Christmas I guess. 

At this stage last season the bottom 3 sat on 9 points each. 

Pretty frustrating the season we finally go up the league seem to be a bit of an outlier. Don't think 38 points will be enough this year. Last season 35 points would be enough for survival...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

26% possession for Newcastle. Was it another smash and grab? Didn't see it but relieved Steve Bruce is nowhere near this club.

Don't let trolls ruin the site. That guy has been doing nothing but talk us down since Smith was here. I don't know who he is, but it's really annoying to watch him derail thread after thread. Very surprised he hasn't been banned.

Speaking of thread derailers. Does anyone ever know what happened to Con and his many heat maps. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

At this stage last season the bottom 3 sat on 9 points each. 

Pretty frustrating the season we finally go up the league seem to be a bit of an outlier. Don't think 38 points will be enough this year. Last season 35 points would be enough for survival...

Its not as last season was on 38, Brighton stayed up on 35 points. Actually if Cardiff didn’t won at Man Utd they would’ve been on 31. Its not as if last season was a normal measure anyway.

3 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Its not as last season was on 38, Brighton stayed up on 35 points. Actually if Cardiff didn’t won at Man Utd they would’ve been on 31. Its not as if last season was a normal measure anyway.

After adding 1 point to all the 18th place finishes in PL history, you get an average of 36.6 points. In general, you should be looking at 36-38 points. . Only in 6 out of 24 seasons did teams require a higher point total than 38 to survive and half of them happened in the first 3 years of the PL''s history. Not accounting for goal difference.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

16 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I hear we are in for some Japanese chap playing in Germany

😎

Watching Arsenal vs Brighton yesterday and I couldn't take Dale Stephens seriously. I kept remembering the ridiculous speculation at the time :lol: 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

After adding 1 point to all the 18th place finishes in PL history, you get an average of 36.6 points. In general, you should be looking at 36-38 points. . Only in 6 out of 24 seasons did teams require a higher point total than 38 to survive and half of them happened in the first 3 years of the PL''s history. Not accounting for goal difference.

I think last time was when the scum went down? Is it?

3 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

1st 3 seasons had 22 teams as well

I want Everton to go down. Dont mind them as a club I just want another Premier League ever present to experience what we had to go through, be interesting to see how another big club handles it. Cant see it, its actually really difficult to get relegated if you think about it. You have to be really bad to go down. Anyway, hopefully Chelsea do a job on them this morning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I want Everton to go down. Dont mind them as a club I just want another Premier League ever present to experience what we had to go through, be interesting to see how another big club handles it. Cant see it, its actually really difficult to get relegated if you think about it. You have to be really bad to go down. Anyway, hopefully Chelsea do a job on them this morning.

You really do. If you're an ever present like we were it's surprisingly hard to go down. We were absolute horse arse for years upon years until it finally got us, mainly due to losing the couple of top players we had. I think the team we have now are better than any team from Lambert onwards bar a couple of players but we're tooth and nail in the relegation fight. 

On 06/12/2019 at 11:16, pacbuddies said:

As we approach the half way point of the season we sit 2 places and 1 point above the relegation zone. After spending over £130m in the summer (second only to manure I believe) this is unacceptable and we should be doing much better. Sheffield United spent about a sixth of what we did and have an inferior squad yet they are flying.

They are 4 points ahead of us. And they have not yet faced Man City like we have and have played both Watford and Southampton which we haven't. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

Yeah I was thinking Sheffield United were on about 25 points but they're only one clear of Burnley who'd had an o.k start to the season but dropping.

Don't think it's beyond the realms we could be above Sheffield by middle of Jan although need to make sure we don't lose there next week.