Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

12 minutes ago, useless said:

That was a light hearted comment, in a similair vein to number of other posts in that thread predicting we'd finish an unrealistically high position. I've said many times if we finish the season in seventeenth that will do. But in the meantime we can still aim to do better than that.

Isn't this exactly the sentiment you're grilling everyone in here for?

No, as explained by my very next sentence in that post. I'm sure Smith himself will be aiming for better than 17th, but at the same time if that's where we end up come the end of the season, then I'm sure he'll be philosophical about it, and see it as job done, as I say doesn't mean to say we can't hope for better in the mean time, or feel disappointed when we lose games.

31 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Looking at Goal Difference, the bottom three are going to have to have a major turn of form to beat the drop!

Is it too soon or naive to say such things?

It dosen't matter so much now but yes when things get tight in April and games start to run out it will start acting as an extra point and a buffer between ourselves and whoever is below us.

Be interested if a team in recent times has actually gone down with a positive GD, I assume not.

25 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I think the players have been shocked with the physicality, speed and fitness of the premier league this season. The sooner our lot ( they are improving here) get to grips with that then 14th should be achievable.

Certainly in the early weeks it was a massive shock, might explain a little why we've been so bad against 10 men.

I do think we're improving but Man. City and Liverpool are still a step up on likes of Spurs and Arsenal, just look at how their full backs play compared to those two clubs.

30 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

After 10 games does anyone think we’ll be relegated?  I think we’ll finish mid table.

Not a chance! We’ll scrape 17th but it will be touch and go. 

edit I think we have already had a bet on this? 

Edited by jim

39 minutes ago, jim said:

Not a chance! We’ll scrape 17th but it will be touch and go. 

edit I think we have already had a bet on this? 

We may have. We also had a bet on us being challenging for automatic promotion by Jan 2020.  We voided that one because we ended up getting promoted last season instead!

Smith has proved you wrong once already mate, have a bit of faith. 

The current West Ham kit is an utter nightmare.  If we ever have a similar kit to that I will buy one just so I can tear it into strips for use in the toilet room. 

I think Watford failing to get their first win is going to be crucial. They’re playing badly, infact, they lost as much as we did. They just have it as a draws.

Soton aren’t easy to beat (apart from Leicester disaster).

Its Norwich who needs a big improvement to survive.

If Everton keep losing points the way they’re doing they could be around for a while, but they do have quality, more than us.

Newcastle are still in it. 

Burnley, Brighton and Bournemouth, anyone of them could go in a bad run and get back to the survival race.

Crystal Palace and Sheffield Utd seem to do very well, especially the latter, ofcourse things could change but as it stands they have a great defence.

Wolves are strange, they’re one of the hardest teams to beat, yet they don’t win easily, with their Europa adventure, no one could know where they’ll be. But in reality you can’t see them being worse than thr bottom 3 or even Newcastle.

I was gutted yesterday and found it hard to write anything, but now I’m trying to write something to give us a relief.

Huge derby game next week, if we win that then I’d say we won the mental battle of survival. 

Henderson is so funny btw.

What a bad footballer. What's he doing in that Liverpool side? Sticks out like a sore thumb. Imagine how good they'd be if they had a proper talented player in there!

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Henderson is so funny btw.

What a bad footballer. What's he doing in that Liverpool side? Sticks out like a sore thumb. Imagine how good they'd be if they had a proper talented player in there!

He is what the English coaches of old would describe as "A honest lad"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Liverpool are a lot weaker without Fabinho. Brilliant player

Apparently they rested him as he was on 4 yellows so wanted him available for Man. City next week.

I don't mind Henderson but of the two I'd start Milner in that high energy pressing midfielder.