Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Our problem remains final third. Even against Everton when we were playing well we weren't getting many on target. Nothing I've seen from our first 4 is telling me we aren't at least one attacking player light in the squad and that will stop you getting wins in premier league.

Still defensively we are far from the easiest team to score against in general play. We've conceded six, Norwich have conceded 10 so that might count for something at the end of the season perhaps.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Our problem remains final third. Even against Everton when we were playing well we weren't getting many on target. Nothing I've seen from our first 4 is telling me we aren't at least one attacking player light in the squad and that will stop you getting wins in premier league.

Still defensively we are far from the easiest team to score against in general play. We've conceded six, Norwich have conceded 10 so that might count for something at the end of the season perhaps.

Yes, that's the biggest worry for me. That front group do not look like they have enough goals in them. 

• Like 1

Is no one boosted by that? We will still have lost three games out of four, but if we're not in the bottom three over the international break it will give us a psychological boost. Just need Everton to win by two goals now, and for Wolves to not score more than two themselves.

3 hours ago, Mantis said:

I think some of the extreme doom and gloom is a bit misplaced.

Defeat at Spurs - was always going to be a tough game but we defended well for most of it

Defeat to Bournemouth - were the better team on balance but undone by a couple of stupid errors, and the officiating didn't help

Win over Everton - played well and won deservedly

Defeat at Palace - played poorly, but literally the only reason we didn't get a point here is because of corrupt or incompetent officials

It's a long season, but so far I've not seen anything which suggests we're not capable of staying up.

I would echo that. Corrupt officials are at all levels of football, even the Prem imo.

The next four are against West Ham (h), Arsenal (a), Burnley (h), and Norwich (a), really need to improve on the three points we've got from the last four games, written down and reading it back doesn't look like a bad set of fixtures, but then neither did Spurs, Bournemouth, Everton and Palace. If we can get ten points from those then things will be looking an whole lot better.

46 minutes ago, useless said:

The next four are against West Ham (h), Arsenal (a), Burnley (h), and Norwich (a), really need to improve on the three points we've got from the last four games, written down and reading it back doesn't look like a bad set of fixtures, but then neither did Spurs, Bournemouth, Everton and Palace. If we can get ten points from those then things will be looking an whole lot better.

We're not going to get ten points from those fixtures. Nothing about our performances suggests 'a four match unbeaten streak'. If we can get six or seven out of them that would be a start. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

Is no one boosted by that? We will still have lost three games out of four, but if we're not in the bottom three over the international break it will give us a psychological boost. Just need Everton to win by two goals now, and for Wolves to not score more than two themselves.

Wolvesalona are brilliant though.....(actually would expect Everton to win although maybe by a single goal as Wolves are good at the back).

Thing is for me though as much as I'm mad about football as many on here....I can't get too worked up whether we're 16th,17th and 18th at this stage of the season. I'll watch the games tomorrow as they're two pretty good games, I won't be fretting every time Wolves break forward.

Remember that first season under O'Leary? Think we were in the bottom 3 until xmas, then had a really good run into new year and climbed the table enough to finish 6th. We obviously aren't going to do that this time but shows you stuff like winning a few games in December can suddenly change the dynamics of the season. We could do it again looking at who we have around that time.

7 hours ago, Mantis said:

I think some of the extreme doom and gloom is a bit misplaced.

Defeat at Spurs - was always going to be a tough game but we defended well for most of it

Defeat to Bournemouth - were the better team on balance but undone by a couple of stupid errors, and the officiating didn't help

Win over Everton - played well and won deservedly

Defeat at Palace - played poorly, but literally the only reason we didn't get a point here is because of corrupt or incompetent officials

It's a long season, but so far I've not seen anything which suggests we're not capable of staying up.

I agree with pretty much all of this, especially that we are capable of staying up. My worry is that we can see all the encouraging signs we want, but soon they’re going to need to turn into points or it means nothing.

I am slightly concerned right now. You’re right, it’s a long season, but out of 4 games this year we have only come away with something in 1 of them. Until we start tallying points on a more consistent basis I won’t be comfortable.

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

We're not going to get ten points from those fixtures. Nothing about our performances suggests 'a four match unbeaten streak'. If we can get six or seven out of them that would be a start. 

Why would we need 10 points from our next 4 games? Thats top 6 form. Are you saying you'll be disappointed if we don't finish in the top 6?

4 points a month is the target to beat relegation. We have taken 3 this month, we have one to make up.

If we can take 5 points in the next 4 games we are on track, any more than that is a bonus.

• Thanks 1

People are getting a bit carried away with the doom and gloom already.

The league table right now means nothing, it's all about the points we can get on the board.

Yesterday was a joke, the referee was against us from minute one. We went into half time after playing fairly well with 4 bookings, the red card was always coming and we couldn't play our natural game after that.

Bournemouth we made early mistakes and struggled to make it back.

Tottenham we were outclassed in the last 15 minutes.

We'll be fine, it was always going to be a struggle in the first month with the amount of new players we have brought in. The last 5 minutes were the most important yesterday, we didn't give up, we pushed for the equaliser and players started doing what they were doing in the Championship. Grealish finally started running at the defence, took on the midfielders head on, as did McGinn. We now have two weeks to sort ourselves out and go again at a packed Villa Park.

• Thanks 2

Why are people moaning so much about our performance yesterday?

Deano summed it up really well in my opinion. Good start, followed by a ridiculous period before half time when the ref starting dishing out cards, followed by a decent start to the second half, followed by a red card. From that point, away from home against a decent side, it was always going to be difficult. We stuck in and but for a criminal decision would have taken a point.

We are finding our feet and in my opinion should have more than the three points on the board. Refs and bad luck have cost us badly so far but that cannot continue. Maybe, following the high profile nature of Friend’s massive mess up, the refs will be a bit more reluctant to give us poor decisions. We need to stick together and get behind the team.