Rome and Vatican City

Rugeley Villa

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 20:01, Rugeley Villa said:

I’m off there in August for 3 nights. Any info and tips would be great. 

Hi Ruge

How was Rome, I am over there in 2 weeks time for a long weekend with the Mrs

2 hours ago, Sid4ever said:

Hi Ruge

How was Rome, I am over there in 2 weeks time for a long weekend with the Mrs

Absolutely brilliant. Loved every second of it, and will go back again.

Its a pretty friendly place considering it’s a big city. Much more friendlier than Paris . What you planning on doing over there? 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Absolutely brilliant. Loved every second of it, and will go back again.

Its a pretty friendly place considering it’s a big city. Much more friendlier than Paris . What you planning on doing over there? 

Normal stuff like the Vatican, Mrs has a strong faith, I just want to see the coliseum if honest.  Never wanted to go eventually gave in, as enough people have said that it is a brilliant place to visit.  She might even get me to Venice next.

Did you do the @peterms recommended walking tour?

13 hours ago, Sid4ever said:

Normal stuff like the Vatican, Mrs has a strong faith, I just want to see the coliseum if honest.  Never wanted to go eventually gave in, as enough people have said that it is a brilliant place to visit.  She might even get me to Venice next.

Did you do the @peterms recommended walking tour?

Day 1 

We did St Peters square , and St Peters Basilica. The Basilica parts of it are free to roam around, but we paid 8 euros each to be able to look all around it. We went right to the top of it, and it’s absolutely stunning and a must thing to do.  The evening we had a walk out to Trevi fountain , which is stunning too, but very busy day and night. There are loads of little alley ways leading up to it, which has live music on in the street , and all kinds of stuff going on. Very vibrant around there.

Day 2

We did a guided tour of the Coliseum/Roman Forum/Palatine Hill which lasted 3 hours. Definitely worth it as long as you don’t mind walking for a bit. It’s tiring, but very informative if you have the guided tour. We really enjoyed that. The night  time we did a guided tour of the Vatican which lasted 2 hours, which was superb. 

Day 3 

We went to visit Nero’s palace which was wasn’t time consuming, or expensive, but interesting. It was a guided tour which lasted just over an hour. We then went to the car sanctuary which is located where Julius Ceaser was murdered. If you like cats, it’s definitely worth visiting, and the volunteers do a fantastic job there. It’s also free. We then went and visited a number of other temples/churches which were beautiful. We finished our final night back in St. Peter’s Square as it’s a completely different vibe at night.

All in all we had a brilliant time. If you want guided tours which I’d advise you to do, then pre book them so you haven’t got to mess about when you get there. They are also not expensive imo , but look out for the best deals, and try and include several things in the guided tour like we did with the Coliseum. Also if you don’t mind walking then try and walk as much of your visit as you can. You really do get to see some wonderful places you wouldn’t see if you used public transport everywhere. Regarding public transport always pick a taxi of an Uber. They were half the price of an Uber . Also don’t waste money on a bus pass as we never had to pay once when we did get a bus anywhere. If you can figure it out like my missus did, the buses are pretty easy to navigate across Rome. My missus got it all up on her phone and it told us what bus number we needed and where we had to get off.  

Food. I weren’t overly impressed with the food. It was just alright. Some places are far more expensive than others, so keep that in mind. Overall though I didn’t think it was that expensive. We didn’t drink alcohol which saved us a few quid. That is expensive out there, so if you like a good drink be prepared to spend a few quid on that. Back to food again. If you like Chinese then go for one, because it was dirt cheap and much cheaper than the Italian places. We also found this to be true in Paris too. So maybe Chinese restaurants are just generally cheaper than other places when you are abroad.  

When you go it will probably have cooled down to a comfortable level. It was 33 when we were out there, but a few weeks before that it was close to 40.  We stayed close to The Vatican in a lovely B&B which was very welcoming . Another quick thing, and, that is there was loads of Americans out there, which surprised me a bit . Anyway, have a good time and let us know how it went. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Rugeley Villa

back yesterday and I have to say it was a brilliant break.

The Vatican was amazing in many ways, Sistine Chapel was rammed and not very quiet but St Peters was inspiring, my wife got to say a prayer for lost family which was quite moving.  No wonder the Catholic Church is so rich with all those tourists passing through everyday.

we got pissed wet through on the Coliseum tour but wouldn’t have missed it.

we did the bus tour hop on hop off service and used the metro quite a bit as our hotel was right by the Termini Station.

like you amazed by the number of Americans but also the Chinese who had serious money to spend in the boutique shops by the Spanish steps.

couple of things stood out for me, how many young woman walked around on their own late at night without a care in the world, and homeless people sleeping out without being disturbed especially by the station.

we did get scammed on the metro by a polite Italian man in a suit who helped us get the 24hr passes by offering to buy ours along with his as our card wasn’t registered, got back to the hotel to realise he had switched the tickets for the 100 minute ticket valid for one ride only, but fortunately only 12 Euro.

final thoughts it was clean and didn’t smell and am amazed by the lack of high rise buildings,  would definitely go back, if only for the tiramisu served at breakfast in our hotel.  Maybe not use the taxi service again as the journey back to our hotel from the Pantheon was nerve wrecking, maybe just the driver who told us he was the best driver in Rome.

• Like 1

Â