Eurovision Song Contest 2019

Tegis

On 19/05/2019 at 00:46, Londonastonvilla said:

Does everyone in Europe hate us?

Our song is not that bad.We are not liked and this has been the case for last 10 years.

Not sure why.?

As a sort of general rule, the more war crimes you commit / have been the victim of, the more like you are to get apology points and “nae worries, water under the bridge” points.

I don’t think it’s hatred of the UK. Also, we don’t deliver the kind of songs that Eurovision wants to hear.

On 19/05/2019 at 00:58, Londonastonvilla said:

The Beatles could reform and combine with the Rolling Stones and we would still come last

Quite rightly so. They'd come up with Love, love Me Yellow Honky Flash and think it was good

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Hell, this year we even had to buy one of the Swedish entries castoffs

Tbf there is usually a Swedish songwriter behind almost every crappy generic song you see in the charts these days.

Sorry bout' that.

Just now, sne said:

Tbf there is usually a Swedish songwriter behind almost every crappy generic song you see in the charts these days.

Sorry bout' that.

I really wouldn't know :crylaugh:

But to buy a song from this year's actual entrant for another country is... desperate

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

I really wouldn't know :crylaugh:

But to buy a song from this year's actual entrant for another country is... desperate

Yeah it's hardly the pinnacle of Swedish music who participate in this annual travesty.

It's the same 6 or so people who write the songs every year, they are personal friends with the guy who runs the show, Christer Björkman. He has 100% control of the event ( both the Swedish and European) and if you are not a friend of his or some guy he want's to sleep with you will not get in.

In Sweden we have an ambling circus of these people who participate every or every other year and then goes around making up the numbers on various sing along TV-shows and by doing company gigs.

I loath them and the people who make it possible

Edited by sne

But, nobody takes it seriously as an actual musical contest do they?

I mean, it's mostly junk, that's the fun of it. If anything, it's losing it's appeal because it's all getting a bit too smooth. Azerbaijan producing a perfectly decent piece of euro clubland pop is a typical low point. Years ago, we'd have had Yugoslavia signing bing bong ping pong our wheat harvest has broken all records. Which is what we all still want, really.

I mean, we've got thousands of decent singers songwriters in every known genre. We bought in a song and got the winner of Bake Off or whatever to sing it.

Perfectly relaxed about coming last.

But.

May I suggest this for next year...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Swedish comedy group Grotesco made this back in 2009.

It's a spoof on Russia and the stuff they use to send. Russia got super pissed.

It's still better than most stuff you see in the competition.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bickster said:

@sne

i just made my own version of that

:clap: Fantastic!

Guess we'll be seeing you next year in whatever country won this years competition.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Quite rightly so. They'd come up with Love, love Me Yellow Honky Flash and think it was good

And compared to the current fare, it would be. 

I’m sure many people were shocked that only 16 points were awarded to the UK entry but according to the news this morning there’s been a recount and the UK’s score has been amended. 11 points is the amended score :crylaugh:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, choffer said:

I’m sure many people were shocked that only 16 points were awarded to the UK entry but according to the news this morning there’s been a recount and the UK’s score has been amended. 11 points is the amended score :crylaugh:

Made me laugh as well,  it might well end up negative.  I bet even his Nan has stopped talking to him after that.

A points deduction for the UK next year would be a laugh as well. 

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D

6 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Made me laugh as well,  it might well end up negative.  I bet even his Nan has stopped talking to him after that.

A points deduction for the UK next year would be a laugh as well. 

Have you heard him interviewed? Thick as mince. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

and I defy anyone to remember how the winning song went

Nope, no chance. 

I think I could name and maybe hum about six or seven songs from the entire history of Eurovision.

Off the top of my head - Waterloo, Puppet on a string, Boom bang a bang, Save your kisses for me, Making your mind up, Congratulations and Gina G’s Ooh Aah....just a little bit.

Maybe there’s one or two more that I know but don’t realise, but that’s about it. And I’m not sure I know much of the tune for either puppet on a string or boom bang a bang.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Nope, no chance. 

I think I could name and maybe hum about six or seven songs from the entire history of Eurovision.

Off the top of my head - Waterloo, Puppet on a string, Boom bang a bang, Save your kisses for me, Making your mind up, Congratulations and Gina G’s Ooh Aah....just a little bit.

Maybe there’s one or two more that I know but don’t realise, but that’s about it. And I’m not sure I know much of the tune for either puppet on a string or boom bang a bang.

Good memory there. I'm sure Lynsey de Paul and some bloke did a 2 piano duet, back to back, with a song called "rock bottom".....cant recall if they finished last.

Don't care either 😉

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 1

On 21/05/2019 at 07:24, sne said:

Swedish comedy group Grotesco made this back in 2009.

It's a spoof on Russia and the stuff they use to send. Russia got super pissed.

It's still better than most stuff you see in the competition.

No wonder the Russians keep sending submarines into Swedish waters these days. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Good memory there. I'm sure Lynsey de Paul and some bloke did a 2 piano duet, back to back, with a song called "rock bottom".....cant recall if they finished last.

Don't care either 😉

Mike Moran

Lynsey was a hot little thing wasn't she? James Coburn agreed.

• Thanks 1

Â