Cup Final Three (of three) - pre-match

hippo

8 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

You heading to Wembley on Sun to watch Chertsey Town or are they the enemy for you ? 

Haha :D No, not the enemy, I wish them well and was born in Chertsey, though not going to see them on Sunday.

4 hours ago, omariqy said:

Their key players are Mount, Wilson, Marriot, Lawrence for me. They are suspect at the back and Tammy has had the better of Tomori this season. Cole will come in and he had a torrid time against Elmo and Adomah 

Their goalie looks awful. 

Agree Mount and Wilson are quality. They will probably lose them both next season. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Cole wasn’t even on the bench yesterday. 

Their goalie looks awful. 

Agree Mount and Wilson are quality. They will probably lose them both next season. 

Cole came on as a late sub yesterday

• Like 2

4 hours ago, omariqy said:

Their key players are Mount, Wilson, Marriot, Lawrence for me. They are suspect at the back and Tammy has had the better of Tomori this season. Cole will come in and he had a torrid time against Elmo and Adomah 

Three of those key payers played against us in the 3-0 at their place and 2 of them in the 4-0 at ours. The only one that didn't play in both games was Mount. 

At our place we had McGinn and Axel out so there is an argument we will be the more improved side out of the two from the last time we played them and won 4-0. 

I also think Malone being out and Cole the likely replacement is another big boost for us as we ripped Cole apart in March so much so they replaced him at half time. 

Edited by markavfc40

7 hours ago, BOF said:

Villa got promoted tonight. 

Don't do that. Very arrogant mindset. We still have to beat a very good erby team who just destroyed Leeds in their patch. Won't be easy 😃

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 3

Derby's last 3 games

DERBY 3-1 WBA

DERBY 0-1 LEEDS

DERBY 4-2 LEEDS

That's pretty impressive. I believe we can beat Derby more than Leeds but crikey we need to turn up. 

Meanwhile we lost to Norwich, beat baggies then lost to baggies. 

They'll be full of confidence. 

7 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Derby's last 3 games

DERBY 3-1 WBA

DERBY 0-1 LEEDS

DERBY 4-2 LEEDS

That's pretty impressive. I believe we can beat Derby more than Leeds but crikey we need to turn up. 

Meanwhile we lost to Norwich, beat baggies then lost to baggies. 

They'll be full of confidence. 

True but Albion had nothing to play for. Derby didn’t even have a shot on target first leg and yesterday they just went for it against a team renowned for bottling it. 

Since the Stoke game we’ve shown a belief and resilience I haven’t seen for years. 

I feel really confident. 

9 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Momentum wise there is nothing between the sides really and I'd take it as a given that both sides on the day will give their all. It then comes down to who has the better quality overall and who will be the more cute tactically. I think on that basis we win.

Also who has the mental strength. So much at stake players can lose their heads like Leeds did yesterday. I think we have a lot of leaders in this team and are stronger mentally.  

I just cant wait.

• Like 2

Speaking to my Derby fan mate, they are happy enough to be in the final, and win or lose they will celebrate a victory, they didnt expect to beat Leeds.

Hope the players feel the same way😁

On a serious note, if we are on it, its ours, they won't beat a Villa team at 100%.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 3

We have a great chance of returning to the “promised land”

We have a different team, different management and with it a different mindset. One that plays football and wants to win.

I doubt if we will get a better chance than this and given we we’re in 14th place at the start of March it is quite remarkable we have it.

Bring it on....

UTV

Fair play to Derby last night, I really did not see that level of performance or result coming one bit, I had well and truly wrote them off, but it's nights like last night and of course Tuesday that we all love this beautiful game so much.

They should not be underestimated in the final, they have very good players in Lawrence, Marriott, Wilson and Mount in particular, however like a few others have mentioned, if we bring our "A" game I believe we are a stronger team (at least on paper!).

I think it will be a cracking game, both sides like to play football and it will be interesting how Lampard sets his team up, he switched to a 4-4-2 diamond last night and it worked a treat, but it still left them exposed countless of times, I can't see him going that gung-ho in this one but still sense there will be goals-a-plenty.

Marriott concerns me the most, we need to deal with his running, he has already performed well at VP when he was at Peterborough and he will have a lot of confidence from the win at Elland Road, as will all the other Derby players. If we can defend well, we have quality players of our own that can cause them A LOT of problems.

UTV 

I'm a big fan of Conor's so would prefer him over Whelan, but I think Whelan might do a better job of shackling Mount. Hourihane offers much more of a threat going forward though and that could be the difference if we play on the front foot. So I'd like to see Hourihane, McGinn, Grealish in the middle. Same back four I'd imagine and El Ghazi and Abraham. Big question mark on the right for me - neither Green or Adomah have looked great when they've started. Would be tempted to start Kodj and move El Ghazi to the right, but Kodj's lack of defensive effort is a concern. Wilson up against Taylor is worrying so whoever plays on the left needs to track back.

I'm confident Dean will get it right on the day either way.