Travel

hogso

On 17/05/2019 at 18:23, AndyC said:

Lichfield to Euston £57 return for two adults. 8.54am out and 7.30pm return 

Where did you book that mate? I’m going from Lichfield too

7 minutes ago, Bizzzle said:

Where did you book that mate? I’m going from Lichfield too

Trainline, I downloaded the app and the tickets are stored in the app, dead easy. That's from trent Valley. There is a few trains around that time but they get more expensive after the 8.54. Should be a few villa fans on it I reckon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rbcuk said:

Where’s the best place to park as looks like I’ll be driving down as seeing the problems with the coaches and trains last year has put me off

Been mentioned a couple of times already, but I'd consider Stanmore and catching the tube for the last couple of miles. It's just off the M1 and it has 12-18 departures an hour to Wembley (ie every 3-5 minutes). It's got a big car park and you'll be going against the main flow of traffic at full time. It's £1.50 each way on the tube if you use contactless. 

13 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Been mentioned a couple of times already, but I'd consider Stanmore and catching the tube for the last couple of miles. It's just off the M1 and it has 12-18 departures an hour to Wembley (ie every 3-5 minutes). It's got a big car park and you'll be going against the main flow of traffic at full time. It's £1.50 each way on the tube if you use contactless. 

I tried to book Stanmore for parking but it said it was full 😒

I'm stopping in a B&B in Harrow Sunday night. Google maps said I'm only 3 mile from Wembley so I don't know if it will ve easier to leave the car at the hotel or try and park closer. 

Is there a tube link between Harrow and Wembley

@av1 Harrow is fairly big so it depends on where you are staying, but the answer is yes.   You've got the Metropolitan Line running through Harrow on the Hill, West Harrow and North Harrow  and these have connections to Wembley Park, which is the "main" station for the stadium at the bottom end of Wembley Way.  You've got Harrow and Wealdstone on the Bakerloo line which has connections to Wembley Central which is in the town centre and probably a fifteen minute walk from the stadium, and you've got Northolt Park which is on the Chiltern Line which has connections to Wembley Stadium which is the closest station but doesn't really have a good local service, that's more for people coming in from central London or Birmingham.   There will be loads of buses too. I'd definitely leave the car at the B&B. 

@The_Rev Thank you :thumb: Just emailed the B&B and they have said its fine to leave the car there until after the game as i check out at 12:00. 

@Kingman seemingly as I'm now the resident Tube map guy, Camden Road overground to West Hampstead for the Jubilee Line (it's a one minute walk in West Hampstead between stations) or Camden Town to Kings Cross St Pancras for the Metropolitan line. 

• Thanks 1

On 17/05/2019 at 09:44, Stevo985 said:

Train's probably easiest if it's a normal journey.

Last year it was chaos. To be fair it was because some of the lines to London were closed. 

but I was on the busiest train I've ever seen. We got a very early train, something like 7:30am, and no exaggeration it was so busy I couldn't move. And I don't mean oh it was crowded so i couldn't really move around. I mean I literally couldn't move. I couldn't move my feet an inch in any direction and I couldn't even reach my pocket to get my phone out. For two and a bit hours. Worst train journey I've ever had.

It may well be better this year, but I don't think I'll risk it personally.

I’ve booked trains but reading this has put me off. 

50 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

@Kingman seemingly as I'm now the resident Tube map guy, Camden Road overground to West Hampstead for the Jubilee Line (it's a one minute walk in West Hampstead between stations) or Camden Town to Kings Cross St Pancras for the Metropolitan line. 

Do the Jubilee Line. It will be much quieter than the Met, which will be picking everyone up from both Euston and Baker Street which will not be as fun as you think it might. Also the walk between lines at Kings Cross feels like it takes about an hour and it's a very disorientating underground station if you're not used to it. 

I live in Camden so that's what I'll be up to, except I'll be going from Kentish Town West which might also be an option for you depending on where exactly you'll be staying. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Do the Jubilee Line. It will be much quieter than the Met, which will be picking everyone up from both Euston and Baker Street which will not be as fun as you think it might. Also the walk between lines at Kings Cross feels like it takes about an hour and it's a very disorientating underground station if you're not used to it. 

I live in Camden so that's what I'll be up to, except I'll be going from Kentish Town West which might also be an option for you depending on where exactly you'll be staying. 

Hey , I work in Camden Town ! 

• Like 1

On 18/05/2019 at 21:50, AndyC said:

Trainline, I downloaded the app and the tickets are stored in the app, dead easy. That's from trent Valley. There is a few trains around that time but they get more expensive after the 8.54. Should be a few villa fans on it I reckon. 

Do Trainline still charge a fee? You can buy tickets for the same price from any train company website without a booking fee. I use the Virgin Trains app as you get nectar points and they also save the tickets in the app for you.

My experience last year were that the early trains down were packed with huge ques so we had a couple of beers in birmingham and then jumped on the train about 12ish which was almost empty. 

We came back on the first or second train having run to the que but it was really busy as expected. This year I’ll be spending a few hours in London after the game to avoid those busy few trains. 

Basically everybody goes down early and comes back early, so do the opposite of that and the train will be the best option if you want to drink. If you’re not wanting to drink then I’d suggest driving to and parking in Banbury as they have direct trains to Wembley that haven’t started in Birmingham. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve booked trains but reading this has put me off. 

It might be fine this year. People have said it was fine last year.

For me it was a nightmare and it was enough to put me off

59 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It might be fine this year. People have said it was fine last year.

For me it was a nightmare and it was enough to put me off

The thought of that scares me. Plus I’m taking the missus too and she wouldn’t be happy if crowded for 2 and a half hours. Did you have to stand all the way?

My cousin lives in Uxbridge so I’m considering parking at his and then and catching train from there. 

1 hour ago, nnock1984 said:

My experience last year were that the early trains down were packed with huge ques so we had a couple of beers in birmingham and then jumped on the train about 12ish which was almost empty. 

We came back on the first or second train having run to the que but it was really busy as expected. This year I’ll be spending a few hours in London after the game to avoid those busy few trains. 

Basically everybody goes down early and comes back early, so do the opposite of that and the train will be the best option if you want to drink. If you’re not wanting to drink then I’d suggest driving to and parking in Banbury as they have direct trains to Wembley that haven’t started in Birmingham. 

Kick off is 2 hours earlier than last year, so I imagine you won' t get many later ones that would be empty this year, without cutting it fine.

37 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The thought of that scares me. Plus I’m taking the missus too and she wouldn’t be happy if crowded for 2 and a half hours. Did you have to stand all the way?

Yep.

Can't remember what time we got to moor street. But it was early. Like 7:30 am early.

Train was rammed so we started off standing. The queues at Moor Street had already started so the train was totally full when it set off. Yet at every station more people got on. I mean I thought it was physically impossible to get anymore people on the train, and it stopped at like 3 more stations and people got on at every stop.

Probably the longest couple of hours of my life.

Edited by Stevo985

Â