Travel

hogso

I'll kick this off talking specifically about train travel. 

Having had a glance last night, it appears as though there are minimal issues with the trains if you're travelling from Brum. 

Cheapest option I found was New Street to Wembley Central via Watford (overground) which was £20 for an adult single, arriving at around midday. 

I trust @The_Rev will be in touch with more info with regards to the travel via Moor Street to Wembley Station - again, though, after a glance the trains appear to be operating a normal timetable. There's also the option of avoiding the tube, with direct, or via Banbury (I think) trains straight to Wembley Stadium (the station).

Last FA Cup final and semi I travelled via the Chiltern line - I would whole heartedly recommend. 

Last play off I travelled via coach from Tamworth. This was less glamorous, allowed far less leisure time before making it to the turnstiles (read 'none'), but was easier on the wallet. 

My preferred option would be overground train, although I will consider a drive to Watford and tube to Wembley. 

I've read with interest the tough decisions some of our fans residing abroad are already making. In comparison, the above reads mightily trivial. However, wherever we all are, if you're fortunate enough to get a ticket, I hope the help in this thread could offer to ease your travel woes. Please include any pertinent info with regards to tubes, flights, uber, roads, etc... 

Edited by hogso
  • Like 2

Chiltern will stop all the trains at Wembley Stadium again. It won't show up online for a while as they'll be amendments to the published timetable but they'll definitely stop there.

Based on previous experience services will be strengthened (ie made longer) which should be easier to do as it's a bank holiday and nobody is at work so carriages can be reallocated for the football trains.  There will be a queuing system in place, the queues are always massive and will probably spill outside the station, and onto Moor Street itself. I doubt any southbound trains will serve Snow Hill. They might be pretty full by the time they leave Solihull. 

Wembley Stadium is the closest station to the ground, it's closer than Witton is to Villa Park, but Wembley Park is a short walk too and you get to walk down Wembley Way if you use that station. 

Wembley Central is probably a fifteen minute walk from the west stand at Wembley. It's on the Overground to Euston and the Bakerloo Line. It's not particularly well equipped to deal with large crowds like Wembley Stadium and Wembley Park are. 

Preston Road is probably a fifteen minute walk from Wembley Park, not a bad option if the queues are hideous at Wembley Park. 

Stanmore isn't a bad place to park and ride. It's got a decent sized car park, it's just off the M1 and has a direct tube service (Jubilee Line) to Wembley Park. 

Beaconsfield on the Chiltern line is also a popular park and ride station. It's just off the M40 pretty much where it meets the M25 and has direct trains to Wembley Stadium. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Chiltern will stop all the trains at Wembley Stadium again. It won't show up online for a while as they'll be amendments to the published timetable but they'll definitely stop there.

Based on previous experience services will be strengthened (ie made longer) which should be easier to do as it's a bank holiday and nobody is at work so carriages can be reallocated for the football trains.  There will be a queuing system in place, the queues are always massive and will probably spill outside the station, and onto Moor Street itself. I doubt any southbound trains will serve Snow Hill. They might be pretty full by the time they leave Solihull. 

Wembley Stadium is the closest station to the ground, it's closer than Witton is to Villa Park, but Wembley Park is a short walk too and you get to walk down Wembley Way if you use that station. 

Wembley Central is probably a fifteen minute walk from the west stand at Wembley. It's on the Overground to Euston and the Bakerloo Line. It's not particularly well equipped to deal with large crowds like Wembley Stadium and Wembley Park are. 

Preston Road is probably a fifteen minute walk from Wembley Park, not a bad option if the queues are hideous at Wembley Park. 

Stanmore isn't a bad place to park and ride. It's got a decent sized car park, it's just off the M1 and has a direct tube service (Jubilee Line) to Wembley Park. 

Beaconsfield on the Chiltern line is also a popular park and ride station. It's just off the M40 pretty much where it meets the M25 and has direct trains to Wembley Stadium. 

Is it best wait for the train to be altered prior to ordering train tickets? 

Just looked on trainline app and it’s coming up at £60 + return, don’t remember paying that much before 

Here's 20% off your next CrossCountry adventure, 

Book by 2 June, Travel by 9 June

https://xct.atreemo.com/Content/images/CampaignAsset/Im_177425650_HERO-3-IMAGE_01.jpg

Time for your next adventure

Thinking of getting away for May Bank Holiday? Planning some family time during half-term? Or just fancy another adventure? Well, how about 20%* off CrossCountry Advance train tickets to inspire your next amazing journey?

20%* off

Book: 13 May - 2 June
Travel: 20 May - 9 June

Use promo code: MAY19

http://xcttools.acteol.co.uk/ecasts/images/2018/10/0003/tableh.png

http://xcttools.acteol.co.uk/ecasts/images/2018/10/0003/tableb.png

Know someone who might like 20% off?

We'll let you into a little secret - you can use the code above as many times as you like up until 2 June! So, why not forward this email on to someone you know, and help them plan an adventure they'll never forget.

*Use promotional code "MAY19" to get 20% off CrossCountry Advance tickets. Tickets can be bought from 10:00am on Monday 13 May 2019 until 11:59pm on Sunday 2 June 2019, for travel between 20 May and 9 June 2019 (inclusive). The discount only applies to First Class and Standard CrossCountry Advance single tickets purchased through the CrossCountry site (desktop or mobile) and Train Tickets App. The discount is only available for the e-Ticket fulfilment option. Advance tickets are subject to availability. The discount can be used in conjunction with a Railcard. Further terms and conditions apply, and full terms and conditions are available to view at www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/May19

http://apps.mechdigital.com/xc-emails/2018-component-build/header-xc-logo.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@mikeyp102  it's £31 for a return to Wembley (London is the same price) if you just walked up to the station and bought a ticket on the day. It will be off peak because the game is on a bank holiday.  There might be cheaper deals out there, tickets aren't really my area of expertise. 

20190515_192412.jpg

@Kingman not sure how useful that CrossCountry link will be if it's only valid on their trains as they don't go to London. 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Waited for another hour in the queue only for the website to crash again

I had the same issue. Leave that browser open and open the link to order online again in another browser and you will get into the ordering section 

Re: Beaconsfield, you can also go from High Wycombe (M40 J4), some trains start there on the Chiltern Line so you’ve a much better chance of a seat. although the council have now put the car park prices up at the multi-storey by the train station to bring it in to line with the station itself. Otherwise there are residential streets around that you can park on, or Railway Place which is cheaper. There’s also The Rye which is £5 for the day and about a 15 min walk to the train station. There is also a park and ride right by the motorway junction that takes you to the station. 

A nice easy train journey for me this year, thank fully unlike last year there isn't any railworks going on, when I had to do it by coach. The important thing is the pick of any return train train rather than being fixed to a time.

14 hours ago, The_Rev said:

not sure how useful that CrossCountry link will be if it's only valid on their trains as they don't go to London. 

It gives you the option from New street to Euston mate, was £24 return when I tried it on Tuesday. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Waited for another hour in the queue only for the website to crash again

Screenshot 2019-05-15 at 21.00.03.png

Mate i had that, it's because you haven't signed in so the tickets aren't showing as available to you. Sign in top right.

16 minutes ago, av1 said:

Mate i had that, it's because you haven't signed in so the tickets aren't showing as available to you. Sign in top right.

Sorted now, my mum is smarter than me :P

From Tamworth to Euston booking with The Trainline £28.50 for an adult with no rail card.

Out 08.03 - gets to Euston 09.40

Return 19.46 back at Tamworth 21.13

2 Adults 2 adults £57 

look here for all of the details

Same price with Cross Country Trains

but using the code from @Kingman take 20% off = £22.80😀👍

Edited by imavillan
added cross country lines 20% off link
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, imavillan said:

From Tamworth to Euston booking with The Trainline £28.50 for an adult with no rail card.

Out 08.03 - gets to Euston 09.40

Return 19.46 back at Tamworth 21.13

2 Adults 2 adults £57 

look here for all of the details

Same price with Cross Country Trains

but using the code from @Kingman take 20% off = £22.80😀👍

Does that have underground passes includes , ive paid £86 for the same journey 2ad 2ch

4 hours ago, mattyvilla said:

Does that have underground passes includes , ive paid £86 for the same journey 2ad 2ch

It's just the train fare.

Did you use the 20% off code?

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

After the absolute hell of using the train last year I think I'll be driving down and parking at a friend's house this year.

What would you say is the easiest out of train, driving or coach. Will be going from south Brum, with my young lad.

Â