Cup Final Two (of three) - pre-match

mjmooney

Sat in the Aston Tavern after finishing work early, hoping to see a few Villa fans in here but my only company is the owner, who is a Blues fan 😑 at least I’m distracted from my Baggies hate for an hour or so! Thinking if we can get an early goal we’ll have too much for them. If they score first I still think we’ll come out on top. All in all, I’m a lot more optimistic than the rest of you I think 😁 UTV! 

It could be tempting to go for a more defensive line up , ie Whelan in and Hause in, this gives Albion the initiative, I think the first goal In this tie seals a place in the final. We need to score first and once that happens Albion will lose their composure. If they score first then we have to score, either way for me we have to score to go through and Hourihane and Taylor would be better choices. Greene's a more difficult choice but he would get game time no matter what for me . UTV 

24 minutes ago, Sid4ever said:

So hopefully I will be again dancing with strangers in a pub in Gibraltar, certainly be needing a wee, this is the 5th pint of San Miguel and its only half four

In Zante  forgot about the time difference, will be watching from 10 tonight.  Confindent myself, WBA will implode there not as fit as us.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, screwdriver said:

I think Smith will go with the same team that started on sat.

I don't see why anyone should be nervous. man for man we are a better team.

But... but... surely Smith is going to Get It Wrong? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

But... but... surely Smith is going to Get It Wrong? 

I hope so. It has been a recipe for success so far! 

• Like 1

I think we should go with the side we most likely think will win the match and if that means Hourihane and Green to start then I'm happy with that. No need to over think it.

Anyone else think El Ghazi might not start? 15hrs without so much as a glass of water is hardly the ideal preparation for a game of this importance.

• Like 1

I was more nervous before saturday, for some reason (that might yet change, mind you.) Our ability to grind them down and get a result on a less than great day was reassuring, as is knowing they’ll be without their best player (by far.) 

logically - Albion defend poorly but attack well. We are good defensively - and the Albion attack  will be blunted by the loss of Gayle. If we don't do anything stupid , and barring a big dose of ill luck - I fancy us to go through.

To me it would take an early red card for us or injury, to Steer, Ming, Tammy, for this to swing this Albions way.  

9 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

Anyone else think El Ghazi might not start? 15hrs without so much as a glass of water is hardly the ideal preparation for a game of this importance.

That's a good point , isn't  Elmohamady on Ramadan as well? Maybe both of them should sit this one out . 

10 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

I think we should go with the side we most likely think will win the match and if that means Hourihane and Green to start then I'm happy with that. No need to over think it.

Good point on El Ghazi, will be hydrated by half-time so 2nd half sub perhaps?

21 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

Nah - He will be hungry for it !

• Haha 2

Just had a quick peek at a WBA forum.

Apparently Matt Phillips is one of the best players in the league, we as a team think we're already at Wembley and on top of that they are glad not to get a result at Villa Park, because… well, not quite sure why. What a weird bunch.

I'm off to wash my eyes with bleach now.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

Has it been confirmed anywhere that Anwar and/or Elmo actually observe ramadan, even on match days? 

Not sure about Elmo but Smith mentioned it regarding El Ghazi post match on Saturday. Something to the effect of having to monitor him as it was Ramadan.

• Thanks 1

we have done the business on the road many times this season in front of hostile crowds. St andrews, city ground hillsboro. we were in control at elland road before stupid events ruined the game.

Grealish Mings McGinn Abraham this spine has all the tools