• Abraham
    • Hourihane (Whelan 66)
    • Green (Adomah 66)
    • Kodjia (El Ghazi 90)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

btw bogies didn’t 3ven sell out their allocation today. Was empty seats!

To be fair to them play off rules only allow 2000 away fans same for us at their place hence the empty seats.

Deserved the win, we gave Albion a goal and then they just sat back. Hourihane OMG what a strike against the side he was booed off just a few months ago. 

Not the best performance but got a huge win- its the first time this season albion have lost from a goal up. 

Tuesday will be different as they will be attacking and we can hit on the break, and Gayle being out now is massive. One more big game villa.

Pleased, relieved, and completely shattered in one go. And we may have two more of this to go. 

UTV

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Gayle as frustrating as he is was really good today I’m thrilled he isn’t out if second game. They beat us without Gayle this season so we can’t be sloppy. We need much better performances from el ghazi and mcginn that’s for sure tues night.

btw bogies didn’t 3ven sell out their allocation today. Was empty seats!

? - he is out of the second game.

I thought Albion were absolutely piss poor. If Pulis was managing that team I wouldn't have been surprised whatsoever. So anti-football. Only one team wanted to win that and it was us. 

Next leg will be very interesting, there's absolutely no way they can approach that game in a similar way to this game. They will have to push players forward and leave gaps for us to counter into.

Gayle getting suspended for the next game is huge! 

Phew, not pretty but got the job done and fully deserved.

Jack motm.

went with ‘average’ for Smith as he got the two selection toss ups (whelan/hourinahe; Adomah/green) wrong imo and should’ve hooked whelan at HT. 

Thought we controlled most of the match and certainly the whole second half and credit to the lads not to panic and keep plugging away especially when faced with some tough defending and some cynical time wasting from the opposition.

mcginn was flat today and looked jaded, just didn’t affect the game like he normally does. 

very positive for Tuesday now, a proper game of football with more spaces in the midfield and forward areas will suit our game more so than theirs so I fully expect us to score, and I don’t expect them to out score us especially with Gayle out.

UTV 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I thought Albion were absolutely piss poor. If Pulis was managing that team I wouldn't have been surprised whatsoever. So anti-football. Only one team wanted to win that and it was us. 

Next leg will be very interesting, there's absolutely no way they can approach that game in a similar way to this game. They will have to push players forward and leave gaps for us to counter into.

Gayle getting suspended for the next game is huge! 

I said the same. Pulis would have been really proud of that performance.  We had 70% possession!  I thought only Man City did that. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Back from the game, had dinner and rewatched the highlights.

I know we all sometimes make mistakes but Whelan's was a shocker ...the worst part though for me was he just sort of stood there berating himself and didn't even try to go after Gayle.

We seemed to run out of ideas and fell into predictable patterns of play and I wish we'd stop messing around at corners too.

Credit to Smith for changing things , I saw the pass out to Hourihane and the next thing I know the net was bulging ..relief all round.  Penalty looked a stonewaller from my seat but now I've seen the replay it was clever play by Jack to win it.

Serves WBA right for coming to VP to spoil the game. They almost got what they came for , a third goal would have been nice but I'll settle for Gayle missing the match as he was by far their most dangerous player.

Not sure who they will play up front for the 2nd leg as Robson-Kanu is also serving a suspension, but I think it all plays into our hands for the away leg as they will have to come out and attack.   

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

No idea who this word removed is, but he's got 500k followers.

Shit comedian. As far as I can tell, he gets shows based on some sort of diversity quota.

• Like 2

It wasn’t a great performance. Not by any means. It wasn’t a great result. There is still a lot of football to be played.

West Brom are pretty good at what they do. They were very hard to break down, and Gayle is a real menace. We dominated the ball, but too often the ball tempo was slow, and our players too often tried to take on three of their guys on their own. Inevitably, they’d get stuck, and we had to start all over again.

However, sitting back against the Villa is a risky business, as we will, more often than not, find a way through, if you let us play for a while. In the end, we could have scored even more than we did. 

So, nothing for the history books here, but it was enough. Going to their place with a lead was the most important thing. I’m optimistic we’ll keep that lead, especially with them being without Gayle. 

55 minutes ago, onmeedson said:

We don't have to go to the hawthorns then?

I thought I asked a really simple question.

We have to go to the Hawthorns. We are a goal in front and they don't have their striker.

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

No idea who this word removed is, but he's got 500k followers.

Its that flamer who is a stand up comedian... He is quite funny actually and by all accounts a genuinely nice bloke... His main "thing" (comedy wise) is he writes sarcastic letters of complaint against stuff like parking tickets and fraudulent landlords...

Edited by DJ_Villain

Â