• Abraham
    • Hourihane (Whelan 66)
    • Green (Adomah 66)
    • Kodjia (El Ghazi 90)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, S-Platt said:

To be fair to them play off rules only allow 2000 away fans same for us at their place hence the empty seats.

Well, yes, we shouldn't expect them to sell all their allocation when nationally only 1782 Baggies fans have jobs. (Source: ONS 2019).

• Like 1

Poor first half, much better second half.  Good subs from Smith changed game. I was a nervous wreck watching on the tellybox. Tuesday won't be much better for my nerves.

Is there a highlights show on somewhere?  Checked Quest tv listings and nothing on.

28 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

Poor first half, much better second half.  Good subs from Smith changed game. I was a nervous wreck watching on the tellybox. Tuesday won't be much better for my nerves.

Is there a highlights show on somewhere?  Checked Quest tv listings and nothing on.

Was on at 9 I think.

They should have had Johansen sent off for two yellows and he didn't even get booked I think? Gayle should have gone for a second yellow before his challenge on Steer. So little protection for our players and they have some absolute units. TO be fair we got to grips with it in the end but were outfought first half because the officials let them turn it into a physical battle rather than actual football. 

That said, Whelan doesn't have that brain fart and they don't score, lose Gayle for second leg. Woudl have been perfect. As it is we've mentally put them through it a bit because they were in the lead for ages and looking fairly comfortable trying to kill the game and counter, then all of a sudden they were 2-1 down and looking much, much more vulnerable. 

Now they have to try and play at their place. Should be more open and we should score, we might need a couple....

40 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

Quest +1 right now mate on freeview channel 76.   Be quick though, as not exactly extended highlights! 

3 hours ago, CosmicVillan said:

Back from the game, had dinner and rewatched the highlights.

I know we all sometimes make mistakes but Whelan's was a shocker ...the worst part though for me was he just sort of stood there berating himself and didn't even try to go after Gayle.

It could have been Gail Platt. He still wouldn't have got back, even if it was a rebound or second phase of play.

• Haha 1

Me and the lad were sat in the Trinity so we had a view across the line ups. Baggies strung half a dozen players across the back and made it so difficult for us to get through. We were screaming for Connor to come on and shoot from some distance. 

I would be ashamed to have been a baggies fan, the way their players were dropping and time wasting. Strange how they suddenly became full of running at 2:1 down. My lad said early on that he thought their tactics and time wasting would eventually cost them. 

The Holte fell silent for far too long and we were actually out sung for long periods. But next week they have to come at us and we will have more opportunities. I am in Prague all next week. Hope to come back and find my lad has secured our Wembley tickets . UTV this is our time  

Really really happy. Going into Tuesday with the lead, and the Wet Bums in a weakened state. Bring it on!

For Wet Bums, I thought Johnstone and Phillips were their best players.

As for the ref, I hardly gave him any thought, other than that Johansen seemed to be out on the pitch to try and cripple our players when they were not looking, and deserved to see more cards. In this league, there are some refs you hope never officiate us again, but I would be happy with Mr Scott. I thought he was very fair.

They tried to suffocate our attack, and to a degree, it worked. But from past experience with that style of play, that tactic never really wins you games.

As for Gayle, I am glad he is out. Not because he is a talented striker, but because of his blatant time wasting, and pretending he was fouled when he got finger tips across his face and fell like he was punched in the face with Mjolnir. It was nearly up there with Bamford in regards to scumbaggery. He is a cheat, and I don't like him.

I am pleased for Deano and the lads. Well done!

• Like 1

That was hard to watch, but I'm full of confidence for the return leg.

WBA's negative mindset from the kickoff got progressively worse as the game went on. They switched to a back 3 at half time, which essentially meant a back 5 as their full backs were told to sit deep.

That's half your outfield team behind the ball. No surprise that we found it hard to break down. Yet we found a way.

They can't afford that on Tuesday. They need a result so need to be more proactive. Their game is based on counter attacking and that requires some speed up front. That is going to hurt without Gayle and Robson-Kanu and I expect a little more space being given to the likes of McGinn and Grealish.

Perfect. Bring it on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

It could have been Gail Platt. He still wouldn't have got back, even if it was a rebound or second phase of play.

I know but it's the attitude....plus you never know ..if Gayle takes a bad touch you might be able to put him off. Just don't be passive.   

8 hours ago, onmeedson said:

Whelan should not have started, whatever happened to man marking, gale just sat in between the two defenders all day and ran the show. Defending zones is a new disaster the king in invisible clothes, and when the opposition are giants why would you put high balls in the box, hard and low is the way and attack them down the centre as gale showed us.

Thats the bit that **** me off.....they were doing all the closing down, particularly Johanssen....we just give the opposition freedom.

42 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

That was hard to watch, but I'm full of confidence for the return leg.

WBA's negative mindset from the kickoff got progressively worse as the game went on. They switched to a back 3 at half time, which essentially meant a back 5 as their full backs were told to sit deep.

That's half your outfield team behind the ball. No surprise that we found it hard to break down. Yet we found a way.

They can't afford that on Tuesday. They need a result so need to be more proactive. Their game is based on counter attacking and that requires some speed up front. That is going to hurt without Gayle and Robson-Kanu and I expect a little more space being given to the likes of McGinn and Grealish.

Perfect. Bring it on.

but unfortunately, we haven't got players to get around the back of them.. we could then play balls between their lines.

It was all in the middle or out wide, no threaded balls through the channels to open them up.

why do we rarely have a man on the back post?....Ray Graydon scored for fun from that position...we have wingers not quite up to it.

Edited by TRO

good result.....too many had poor games for me.

I think the away leg will suit us better and Gayle being missing will affect their confidence.

6 hours ago, limpid said:

Did you realise that we won?

We did.....but we made damn hard work of it.

Albion did what they did, but some of our work was not slick and cohesive....the stats alone tell you we should have won by more .....once again certain players come to the rescue, to give us that win, special moments are great, but they do not necessarily reflect the overall pitch craft.....Whelan was not the only player of ours stumbling around with the ball, lacking ball control and getting caught in possession.

We need to do better at the basic things on Tuesday Night.

Glad I missed the first half. I was worried the boys might play the way they did after last match. I'd start Whelan again on Tuesday actually. We'll need to shut them down in midfield. Bit fortunate to get the win on the whole. Need to do much better Tuesday.

Edited by maqroll

Â