• Abraham
    • Hourihane (Whelan 66)
    • Green (Adomah 66)
    • Kodjia (El Ghazi 90)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

11 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

The goal we gifted Albion really influenced the 90 minutes as they could just  sit on their lead and hope to take 1-0 back home. 

Entirely their game plan, and we know so well what happens when that's your aim. So good to be on the other side of it for once.

• Like 3

Excellent win under the circumstances after being 1-0 down. Hourihane the game changer. Grealish and McGinn not as influential, but Baggies packed out the centre and camped out very deep after their goal. 

Baggies fans on Facebook very salty and believe the ref was crap. Oh I’m enjoying this!

• Like 1

Thought we were really poor today. Whelan was absolutely shit. I thought adomah was also pants. 

I actually thought axel was motm today. He was very good. Only half done but was hilarious hearing all those bitter Boggies fans on way home. 

Still all they need is a goal to even it up so we have yo ensure we take the game to them. 

• Like 1

Mings was not great Whelan was under par and McGinn was anonymous.  Yet we still found a way to win you cannot ask for more than that.  Love this team.

Tuesday will be hard but I back the team to be better than today and get the job done.

• Like 1

Not a great performance but as JG said, he believes that even if we go behind he thinks we'll win most games and I'm starting to agree with him. 

Oh and John McGinn has heaps of credit in the bank to have had an off day.....well, an off day by his standards. 

• Like 1

I thought we were poor today - our play in the final 3rd has been getting worse over recent games - we seem clueless around the box - that said to play so poorly and still win and Albion loose Gayle for 2nd leg. A wembley appearance is there for the taking.

• Like 1

Gayle gave a momentous performance as the lone striker today. The little shit won everything in the air and schooled Mings and Axel. Was a pest all game.

His mastery of the dark arts was incredible walking slow to take all the throws, feining injury at every opportunity. It was text book stuff.

When the ref pulled out that red card it was euphoria for me. Their only danger man is now out of the 2nd leg! This is as massive as schmeichel being ruled out of the 94 cup final!

Once bags scored it was obvious they would shut up shop. We couldn't break them down at all. Our wingers were our only hope but only El Gazi was trying to crow bar his way through the gate.

Adomah, Whelan and Mings were out of sorts completly!

I'm very suprised Grealish's stats I thought he didn't show up today. McGinn didn't really have his usual impact.

Was really disjointed today. A few players were in their own heads in think. We didn't look like scoring for 70 minutes then Hourihane saved our asses as he has done on a number of occasions this season. 

Seeing Gayle sent off was icing on the cake. We just need to turn up and play to our strengths. They will have all the pressure on them, needing to attack but knowing that conceding a goal could be lights out. 

Gayle as frustrating as he is was really good today I’m thrilled he isn’t out if second game. They beat us without Gayle this season so we can’t be sloppy. We need much better performances from el ghazi and mcginn that’s for sure tues night.

btw bogies didn’t 3ven sell out their allocation today. Was empty seats!

Fantastic to come away with the result but a frustrating 90 minutes as a whole. I’m fairly confident we will see the tie out Tuesday as Albion have to attack and can’t play the shithousery tactics they did today. 

We were poor today by recent standards but that speaks volumes about our recent unbeaten run.  Didn't think we were going to get anything after 60 minutes but laughably the Baggies grew tired chasing the ball, as the Bruceball tactics they employed undid them.  The irony is delicious.

Steer made key saves, Mings and Tuanzebe struggled with Gayle who then imploded like the plonker he is.  Jack had to endure the usual kicking and McGinn found himself crowded out.  Adomah was poor and i felt for Whelan when he gifted them a goal but he's an experienced pro and recovered his composure even if that meant only returning to a below par performance in line with many others today.

We seemed to be doing everything wrong and found ourselves playing the occassion and struggling.  Then, the substitutions made all the difference as the Baggies tired and Hourihane fired in a trademark blast - they clearly forgot that Glen Whelan had left the pitch!  After that the momentum shifted, Jack found himself running in the right part of the pitch, the ref had no choice but to give the pen and Tammy kept his cool to slot it away.

We definitely have the more talented team but the Baggies were being more effective, and putting physicality and experience to use but it's good to be a goal ahead although it's not a big enough win to relax ahead of Tuesday night.  We can play better and must stay focused on attacking positively as they'll have to come and have a go which will hopefully give us the space we lacked today.

Or they might go for Bruceball part 2 and still hope to nick something off the back of any errors we make.. who knows?  Credit to Dean Smith though, he's fashioned a team and style of foootball that refuses to contemplate defeat and we're definitely going to need that mentatility if we're going to get back to the promised land.

Â