Cup Final One (of three) - pre-match

mjmooney

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

No chance I'm starting Hourihane. He's shown far too many times how easy it is for him to disappear. Useful if we're absolutely dominating and no other scenario.

I suppose plan is to come flying out the blocks and dominate from the off so Smith may see it that way.

I have a feeling West Brom will play it very cautiously tomorrow afternoon and will sit with men behind the ball and hope to hit us on the break with Rodriguez and Gayle, they would take a draw back to the Hawthorns all day long, I would go as creative as possible tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, avfc456 said:

Was it not Hourihaine who put in some half soaked tackle on Rodriguez in the lead upto the second?  Whelan every day for me tomorrow 

It was, but I can't imagine him not putting his foot in during a play-off semi final, plus he showed plenty of aggression at Elland Road not so long ago.

Having said that, I have no qualms at all with starting with Whelan and I think we probably will do, he is the best we have doing the ugly side of the game and recycles the ball well which gives the other players more freedom to play, I personally think he will be better suited to the away leg (and not both). Feeling relatively confident we can do this, bring it on, 3-1 tomorrow and 2-2 in the away leg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pez1974 said:

I think West Brom are conceding about 2 goals per away game since Moore left. We are potent going forward, so I reckon they'll try and park the bus in the first leg. Fans need to be patient - if it's 0-0 at 85 minutes, we can still win 3-0!
And this is why I'd play Hourihane instead of Whelan; grab an early goal and it could scupper their plans - get a couple in the first half and they might have to make changes and it could get silly.

We need to start like a steam train and run them ragged. the second leg is 3 days later, and I think we could tire them out a bit - they aren't a youthful team, and they've all played a lot of games. We are, and most of our team have had breaks this season for one reason or another.

The West Brom fans I speak to are really pessimistic. The only hope they have is that they think we concede loads too - I don't think they've looked at the stats since we played them at Villa Park - less than a goal a game.

Not sure about potent going forward  - two of our wide players Green and Adomah are quite often poor - El Ghazi has his moments but is very inconsistent - we also tend to squander a lot of chances and openings   

I hope Hause starts at LB, I know Taylor has been doing ok but I really think Hause is our best LB and we shouldn't be sentimental in such important matches.

Would go:

Steer

Elmo - Axel - Mings - Hause

Grealish - Whelan - Mcginn

XXX - Abraham - El Ghazi

Honestly can't decide on the right AM, green, kodjia, uncle, Davis?????

• Like 1

On 08/05/2019 at 09:10, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If you think Leeds are the only shot team in the playoffs, you haven't been watching West Brom lately. They really, really needed to sort that manager issue out weeks ago.

Not like they have completely collapsed or anything. 6 wins & a draw from their final 10. 19 points which is the same as Derby and only 2/3 less than norwich & sheff utd.

also scored 19 goals in those 10 which is only matched or bettered by 4 teams, 1 of which is us (20)

Expecting 2 very tough games but hopefully some of the luck they had against us earlier in the year has all been used up now

Tempo... that's what I hope for. I hope we set the tempo for the match, and ultimately for the tie. We're at home, and it's a chance to set the stall out and make the most of the 41k crowd. I don't mean go gung-ho... but I expect us to be on the front foot. Let them worry about us. Not felt this nervy about Villa since the teams walked out onto the pitch at Wembley for the 1994 League Cup Final. It's going to be a bumpy ride this folks... let's please keep our positivity and faith in the team, even if they go a goal up. This won't be the time to barrack... Let's show our class on and off the pitch.

UTV...

• Like 3

We need a three goal cushion to take back to sandwell. I think they'll come and park the bus.

raver is right. we come out the blocks flying like the bredan rogers liverpool team used to. blitz them and get early goals,

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Not sure about potent going forward  - two of our wide players Green and Adomah are quite often poor - El Ghazi has his moments but is very inconsistent - we also tend to squander a lot of chances and openings   

I take your point, but Abraham is the second highest goal scorer in the league, and didn't play in August or in the last few; out wide is hit and miss but for the last couple of months, our midfield has been immense going forward. If we play Hourihane - that's a front 6 they have to contend with from open play, plus Elmo who has got a few assists this season.

At this level, we now scare the shit out of teams.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pez1974 said:

I take your point, but Abraham is the second highest goal scorer in the league, and didn't play in August or in the last few; out wide is hit and miss but for the last couple of months, our midfield has been immense going forward. If we play Hourihane - that's a front 6 they have to contend with from open play, plus Elmo who has got a few assists this season.

At this level, we now scare the shit out of teams.

Yes, and also we're the third highest scorers in the Championship this season (behind only West Brom and Norwich) so we've proved that we really are good going forward. I think the number of times we scored three or more was quite impressive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

For the love of McGrath not Mike Dean please!

I think he’s actually been the best ref we’ve had all season! Sure someone could check all the post match polls to check the consensus on that one (I don’t have time right now)

All this talk of scoring two or 3 is dangerous. Wba are not a bad team, they finished 4th for a reason. This is also a derby, form tends to take a backseat in these types of games. For me it could go either way, all depends on our mentality and if our big players turn up. We are not the only team with big players; they have Gayle, Rodriguez, Phillips who can cause us all sorts of problems. All winning teams in the playoffs get a bit of luck also. I'm just praying that after all the shit we've had to endure since Lerner, things finally fall into place and we get promoted. I fully trust smith to take emotion out of it and have a game plan. I trust mings to be a rock at the back, grealish to have the games of his life and tammy to be on fire. Come on you villa boys!!!!

• Like 1