Softball

As I've mentioned on VT a few times I've started playing Softball. Nothing fancy, just Slow-pitch co-ed D level. A few years ago MrsVM got into it and joined a team. I kind of played a few times over the years - mostly if they were short of a player or two but never really got into it. I had fun at a couple of tournaments though when you get to play a few games back to back and started getting my head around why I shouldn't be running this time and all the rules that are still a bit confusing tbh. But I never really felt part of it and it was very much 'her thing'. Some boring political stuff meant the fun was waining for her a bit, and was basically thinking of giving it up.

Instead of that, we've joined a new team this year and by new I mean it's brand new. Formed in the off-season and to quote a popular film "This is my kind of team Charlie, this is my kind of team". Hard to explain but vibe is all important to me. Especially if I'm going to give up huge chunks of time. First and foremost is I want to have a bit of fun. This lot seem to have a good mix up of rookies, free agents and cast-offs basically. A team disbanded after last season and we've been allocated a couple of players from them. There's a few couples like me and MrsVM who have switched teams but because of the same sort of situations where the vibe was a bit off. But we aren't spring chickens are we? so we just want a bit of a laugh that gets us off the sofa a bit isn't it? We are also being allocated a fair chunk of the rookies - and over here that's people who've never worn a glove before and a few who thought, you know, that the ball might be soft or something so I'm loving that, and that facilitator in me remembers all the confusion when I started out and wants to get a few people enthused and having fun more than anything. On that basis spring training has been going ok. Our star pitcher and captain and team founder has a broken ankle and wont be playing this year! But she is advising from the sidelines with her foot in a boot/cast thingy and her chap has been leading the troops. They know a bit and there's a vice captain who seems to know what he's doing and MrsVM has experience (she's a sponge for all the rules and technicalities and that sort of stuff). A couple of the girls have played a bit too but us partners have always held back/been sidelined a bit and we're having fun dropping catches and striking out and such. :D

We haven't got any shirts yet! but we have got a name. The Kites. After the native Raptor -

red_kite_web_Gerry_Whitlow.jpg&f=1

And I'm told the colours are going to be ripping off the Philadelphia Eagles. We are playing in what I think is Wales's only Softball league in Cardiff which like I say is level D co-ed Slow-pitch so entry level stuff. 9 teams this year, like I said they lost a team last year but 2 new ones including ours this year. We had 2 friendlies this week. Lost them both but nothing overly embarrassing. Couple of points in the first one and I have no idea what the score was last night! I'm still ruing my dropped catch in outfield :( MrsVM has spent like 8 years in outfield or something and she's looking good on 1st to be fair and even had a pitch last night for an innings and a half. :thumb: 1st game is next week.

Anyone else out there got any interest/tips/advice etc? Good source of youtube vids? that sort of thing. Even more out there does anyone else in the UK play?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

First week was rained off. Then we lost our first game 14-22.

Next game is tonight. Groin strain will be keeping me out which is annoying. Still, it's sunny and I'll take some tunes down the park while cheering MrsVM on.

• Like 1

A second loss, but not too shabby against one of the better sides in the league. Ended up 3rd base coach even though I'm pretty sketchy on most of the rules still. Only gave the wrong call once though and she ignored me and scored the run anyway :D

Off to a tournament in Bristol tomorrow and Sunday a Kites/Hammers mash up, so I'll be hoping to get a few pointers from the League leaders.

Did not think I'd get into it this much, and I know I'm talking to myself spamming up the NAS forum with amateurish nonsense for lesbians and middle aged men thinking they've achieved something ;) But it's nice to have something sporty we can do as a couple. Other than racquet sports I can't think of any other mixed stuff. And I'm having fun.

• Like 1

So a mixed bag in Bristol. Saturday was fun in the sun. Sunday was miserable in the rain! Pitched my first game ever on the saturday (we lost obvs!) but there were actual British Softball Federation umpires there and they were really helpful and encouraging. More pulled muscles though and just didn't enjoy the Sunday after some unsporting behaviour from one of the other teams soured it a bit for me and being injured, cold, wet etc, Although we did pick up a trophy of sorts winning the best of the bottom teams play offs bit so that was something.

Back to the league last night and despite pulling out through injury I was called up anyway after a last minute no show from one of the other guys. So I had a runner and did my best in outfield without running about too much. We got mercied for the first time, and recorded our biggest loss, but then we also scored our highest total so far, got round the batting order in the same innings for the first time and ran in 10 runs in one inning so plenty to work on. Massively uneven bounce everywhere made it a hard slog in the field and we didn't disgrace ourselves against last years winners. Although for me and MrsVM it would have been nice to have given them a better run for their money seeing as it was her old team! Also it takes us bottom of the league after 3 games (on runs conceded) and a game against the top of the table team to look forward to next week!

We also are yet to rearrange our rained-off fixture from week one against the Chaos. After that though we should have a run of games where we might be able to be a bit more competitive against the Red Sox, Braves and finally the Thunderbats. (They soo have the best name) and presumably some of our rivals for Division 2 when the league splits for the 2nd half of the season.

Cardiff tournament now on the weekend. Both our pitchers are away (and our main one is injured aswell) so apparently a day of practice for me on Saturday. Hoping one of the other guys fancies a go too. 5 games in a day. Cricket World Cup will be going on just at the other end of the park too so we could have a crowd of thousands lol :). No pressure then :D 

• Like 1

Saturday was a hard day. Had a strop when I heard people sniping at one of the new guys making a few mistakes, while at the same time we just kept getting smashed around. Timed games was a new idea. we were lucky to reach 3 innings in most games. Pitching was hard going. It was a hard day but after the whole reasoning behind joining this team as laid out in the OP I was really disappointed in a couple of people. Supposed to be fun and inclusive I thought. Ah well.

Sunday we ended up playing for the wooden spoon and won our first ever game! by one run. Against a team called the Transformers. (yes, their shirts carried the names of Transformers) 3 ahead going in to the bottom of the last inning and we got them out for 2. So yay. All the trials and tribulations don't seem so bad after a win it seems :) Also I have no idea what the actual score was in the end. Just that we won by one. Was back in the outfield where I like it for that one. Played catcher in the other 2. I enjoyed it more than my knees did I think. 

League tomorrow. Going to be hard going that one. Then a week off as it's our turn to umpire (I'm guessing someone who knows the rules will be doing that!). Then our re-arranged game against the Chaos making 2 games in the week we face the Red Sox. Then we can maybe stop having to play loads of teams who are simply loads better than us!

• Like 1

Nice one! Softball is great fun and obviously a way for former hardballers to keep at it or newbies to learn the basics. Or Brits who fundamentally get it due to the Rounders thing. I'll bookmark this thread.

• Like 1

Like I was saying, hard game last night! Mercied again and our new biggest loss.At least we're breaking records :D

I needed to get me and MrsVM home from 2nd (as a runner for the foot injury....*) when I stepped up to the plate for my second visit of the night in order to take it to the 6th. I didn't! So put out of our misery although we rallied a bit at the end there to save a bit of face. It was 22-1 going into the bottom of the 5th! But yeah, the comeback, and game ended with me 'out at one'. Caught a nice fly ball and tidy enough in the outfield until I dropped my first catch of an actual game in the season (Off arguably the leagues best player). I'll be seeing that one in my sleep. Almost snuck behind my fellow centre fielder backing them up and took another but it just dropped between us. Anyway, that's the unbeaten league leaders out the way! At least they are nice about it, so much respect to them. For me I struggle a bit with the batting side of things but the wannabe cricketer in me wants to catch everything to make up for it. And at least the bounce wasn't as erratic as last week! MrsVM scored one of those 6. Nice ground ball hit down the right field line got her to second. So well done her.

Also we picked up a couple of injuries. Broken finger for the guy at 3rd and a ball right on the foot for one of the girls when running to 1st which will probably bruise nicely. (*)

So we stay bottom of the league (By one run conceded - now 98/99)

Mostly unscathed I think after that. One of the captains/pitchers was getting a little annoyed with some of my calls (on the outside of the plate) and I was not very loud (Mostly a complete lack of confidence I'm normally a chopsy word removed) but hopefully they all left happy enough. I found their frustration a little strange. But most people recognised we were doing our best I think. Some strange looks directed my way and much chuntering/questioning from the sidelines. But it says more about them imo and I know I called it as I saw it with honesty and consistency. Anyway I made him shake my hand as he was telling me everything I did wrong in his eyes :rolleyes: And that was just the winning team :D In fairness to the losing team they were great sports and they knew the score re: being a novice trying his best and accepted the dodgy calls as they came. Weirdly there were a couple of calls on pitches of theirs I thought I'd got wrong in hindsight, not the other lot! Anyway, I still hate my team mates for putting me and MrsVM through that.

Good game I thought.

Back to playing next week hopefully. 2 games.

Â