Steer

Hutton Axel Elphick Taylor

Whelan

Lansbury  Hourihane

Green                               El Ghazi

Jedi:trollface: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We welcome Delia and her boys to Villa Park on Sunday (12.30). A point will be enough for Norwich to be promoted as champions. That would also preserve our current twelve game unbeaten record.

This game gives us an opportunity to rest players like McGinn, Jack, Mings, Axel and Steer, as well as to give the likes of Hutton, Chester, Elphick, Kalinic and Davis some game time before the playoffs.  

Like Cardiff last season, I had anticipated that Norwich might have fallen out of the automatic promotion places before May, but neither early pace setter did. The Canaries pulled the iron out of the fire on a regular basis this season, turning defeats into draws and draws into wins, during the closing minutes of games.

They return to the top flight next season, after a three-year absence. It would be most appropriate if we were promoted alongside them, having accompanied them down, it seems only right that we should go back up with them as well.   

Norwich have lost on their last 4 visits to Villa Park and last won here in 1992. Overall, we have won 26 and have drawn 15, of the 61 league games that there have been between the two clubs. A draw would perhaps suit us both on Sunday and we do have bigger fish to fry in the play off games that are to follow. Nevertheless, another home win would be rather nice, and we do need to maintain our momentum. Let’s agree on a win or a draw on Sunday, followed up by three wins in the play-off matches. Just do it for us Villa!     

• Like 3

Steer

Hutton  Tuanzebe   Chester/Elphick  Hause

Whelan

Hourihane          Lansbury/Bjarnasson

Green              Davis                  Kodjia/El Ghazi

It's easy to say rest all of the players but realistically we still want to stay competitive, Norwich will come here to win the league.

Tuanzebe, Hourihane, Whelan and Green have all been rested at some point over the last few weeks, they will be fine with some gametime.

Chester, Hause, Elphick and Hutton could all do with some gametime after being injured.

• Like 2

In regards to having to play X amount of players from the last game due to the rules about playing a weakened team. Can we still put players like Jack, McGinn etc on the bench and not play them without breaking the rules? They’re still in the match day squad after all.

3 hours ago, 7392craig said:

In regards to having to play X amount of players from the last game due to the rules about playing a weakened team. Can we still put players like Jack, McGinn etc on the bench and not play them without breaking the rules? They’re still in the match day squad after all.

Huddersfield played basically their U-12s and got away with it

2 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I think the rules were changed after that to ensure it wouldn’t happen again 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

The rules were changed. We'd get the shit kicked out of us by the EFL if we did that today. 

16 minutes ago, chappy said:

I think the rules were changed after that to ensure it wouldn’t happen again 

That’s what I thought. So does anybody have any idea about them being allowed to sit on the bench?

On 29/04/2019 at 12:05, Don_Simon said:

As the one who started the "Cup Final One of Eight" tradition, I quite rightly take 50% worth of the plaudits for our winning run. However, as the last match build up thread was titled "Tactical Mastermind", (or something like that), I feel that is the reason the winning run is over.

They stopped being 'cup finals' once we'd guaranteed playoffs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Politely disagree. Momentum is hugely important, Leeds & Norwich are both big teams and can provide huge confidence boosts to us going into said playoffs, we've got players who haven't played a great deal this season and need game time, the fans are absolutely loving life at the moment and I believe it's making a difference on match day and, finally, the more cup finals we win, the more confident we should be for play-off final... (if we get there).

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Any game against us is always a cup final for the opposition ;)

Spoiler

Once the actual play off matches are upon us, I shall return to my usual stance of quiet agonising.

16 hours ago, John said:

Norwich have lost on their last 4 visits to Villa Park and last won here in 1992.   

I was at that game. Bloody Mark Robins. 

Ugo gifted him 2 of the goals. RIP.

Edit: Just looked it up and Mark Robins didn't score. I would have put money on it that he did.

Edited by TheAuthority