Football Kits 2019-20

sne

21 hours ago, sne said:

They had their roads built by the Chinese and up until now it was all really friendly.

Usually it's a roads for minerals trade between China and African countries. All those precious metals in electronics have to come from somewhere.

Just now, villa89 said:

Usually it's a roads for minerals trade between China and African countries. All those precious metals in electronics have to come from somewhere.

Yup.

China buy up land and build their own little mini China towns and strip whatever mineral they need with all the money going down the pocket of whatever ruler the countries have.

Nothing reaches the people. 

In exchange they build infrastructure, very colonial of them.

Fwiw most schools are funded by foreign religious groups who in exchange for funding them get a say in what politics the country should push.

Hence why Uganda, thanks to right wing US Christians have one of the harshest penalties on homosexuality in the world. Praise Jebus!

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/08/2019 at 04:35, sne said:

Yup.

China buy up land and build their own little mini China towns and strip whatever mineral they need with all the money going down the pocket of whatever ruler the countries have.

Nothing reaches the people. 

In exchange they build infrastructure, very colonial of them.

Fwiw most schools are funded by foreign religious groups who in exchange for funding them get a say in what politics the country should push.

Hence why Uganda, thanks to right wing US Christians have one of the harshest penalties on homosexuality in the world. Praise Jebus!

I have to disagree in regard to Rwanda. I've travelled a fair bit there (Gorilla hikes too) and Kagame is genuinely loved by a large majority of the population. He has been integral to developing the Gorilla tourism which has provided many jobs and funding for education. I believe he is now into his 3rd 7 year term (which required a change to the constitution) but the Rwandan people wanted that continuity. I'm not saying his shit doesn't stink and he's probably stashing some cash away in a friendly Swiss bank, but Rwanda is the most developed country outside of South Africa and certainly one of, if not the safest in which to travel (again the road system and infrastructure is only bettered by South Africa on the continent.) Idi Amin he is not for sure.

Funnily  enough my wife and I randomly got invited to the annual gorilla baby naming ceremony in Musanze where wildlife organizations from all over the world come and get to name a baby (there were 54 that year.) Paul Kagame came and was like a rock star. Thousands had walked from villages for miles around to see him all in their "Sunday best" so to speak and the display of color was amazing. A very cool experience even though it felt a little colonial sitting in the VIP tent while people stood for hours outside in the elements!

Anyway back OT, he wasn't wearing an Arsenal shirt that day.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I have to disagree in regard to Rwanda. I've travelled a fair bit there (Gorilla hikes too) and Kagame is genuinely loved by a large majority of the population. He has been integral to developing the Gorilla tourism which has provided many jobs and funding for education. I believe he is now into his 3rd 7 year term (which required a change to the constitution) but the Rwandan people wanted that continuity. I'm not saying his shit doesn't stink and he's probably stashing some cash away in a friendly Swiss bank, but Rwanda is the most developed country outside of South Africa and certainly one of, if not the safest in which to travel (again the road system and infrastructure is only bettered by South Africa on the continent.) Idi Amin he is not for sure.

Funnily  enough my wife and I randomly got invited to the annual gorilla baby naming ceremony in Musanze where wildlife organizations from all over the world come and get to name a baby (there were 54 that year.) Paul Kagame came and was like a rock star. Thousands had walked from villages for miles around to see him all in their "Sunday best" so to speak and the display of color was amazing. A very cool experience even though it felt a little colonial sitting in the VIP tent while people stood for hours outside in the elements!

Anyway back OT, he wasn't wearing an Arsenal shirt that day.

Nice!

They've come an amazing way since the civil war and genocide. Utterly amazing. And Kagame is largely to thank for this.

Their health care is very affordable to say the least. And the schools are top drawer.

But Kagame has gone from beloved leader to a fledgling mini Mugabe.

Any and all political opposition is removed some way or another. Granted the alternative with real democratic elections is probably worse because it would spark violence as it does in many other African countries.

The fact that he changed the constitution to remain in power should ring alarm bells. 98.4% of Rwandians voted for this change apparently :D That's almost Mugabe numbers.

But he is like you say beloved by large parts of the Rwandan people, and that's not surprising.

But he rules by fear. Fear of him, and fear of another ethnic war. No doubt this type of leadership was needed to rebuild the country

Then again he may be the best possible leadership for the country and likely it will get worse should he be removed. The Illuminated despot kinda thing.

In 2015, Kagame pushed through a constitutional change that allowed him to run for a third round. Then a system with five-year terms of office was introduced and since it does not take effect until 2024, Kagame can stand up to two more and be able to reign until 2034. 

When the Rwandans went to election, in reality they have only one candidate to cast their vote on. Paul Kagame made the resources of state authorities available to his election campaign and called Election Day "a formality". The two only approved counter-candidates, the Green Party's Frank Habineza and former journalist Philippe Mpayimana were allowed to see their election campaigns limited by rules and they were only allowed a few percent of the votes each. But Kagame's order that no political comments be posted on Facebook until the country's Election Commission approved them was forced to withdraw after widespread protests. 

The development in Rwanda is reflected in several successful African countries such as Kenya and Tanzania. Countries have economic growth but democratic development has stalled. First and foremost, freedom of the press is restricted. Africa turns its back on Europe and looks for new role models. Countries such as Russia and China are new role models for authoritarian leaders in Africa who, while winning power in democratic elections, but who lack respect for both human rights and freedom of expression. More recently, Donald Trump's disdain for the media and his talk on "Fake News" have also given further arguments to African leaders who want to avoid the media's independent scrutiny. Tanzania has recently introduced a cyber law that bans criticism of the country's prime minister in social media.

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/utrikes/president-kagame-en-briljant-men-brutal-ledare

Anyway sorry, massively OTT :D 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, villa4europe said:

the mexico link is a bit too strong with that one

nike also applying the "cool" 3rd kit idea looks shit when you do it for every team problem they had last season

Presumably that's not a coincidence, given the man upfront?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Â