Winning streak

MikeMcKenna

5 hours ago, RadioTom said:

I *think* that getting two more yellow cards in the next two league games would result in a three match suspension including the playoffs. If he he doesn’t get to 15 before the end of the Norwich game, then the slate is wiped clean in time for the first leg of the POs. 

Is correct.

10 in a row is an incredible achievement for these players and for the club. Its a testament to Dean and everyone at the club, really. Good times, great season, let's see this **** over the line this time. UTV

• Like 1

To muddy the waters a bit, check out the 1887-88 season (the season before we invented the football league).

12 wins on the bounce, then followed by 17 wins! we only lost to Notts County because half of the team was away playing a county game (Birmingham vs Lancashire).

1887.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Unused Sub said:

To muddy the waters a bit, check out the 1887-88 season (the season before we invented the football league).

12 wins on the bounce, then followed by 17 wins! we only lost to Notts County because half of the team was away playing a county game (Birmingham vs Lancashire).

1887.jpg

They might as well be friendlies. I mean it's plausible that Lockwood Brothers are a team consisting entirely of siblings. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

They might as well be friendlies. I mean it's plausible that Lockwood Brothers are a team consisting entirely of siblings.  

I suspect that Small Heath Alliance lot may well have suffered from a similar sort of problem ;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

I tell you what, we've not just made history, we've done it in style too. 

I am 49 and I genuinely cannot remember us being so entertaining.  Maybe some moments under BFR and Gregory but we are a joy to watch.  This is not a team grinding out results, we are an exciting team playing foot the ball the right way and scoring some glorious goals.

Good times. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Unused Sub said:

1887.jpg

It's good we smashed Oxford University into next week, no "Rah Rah Rah, we're going to smash the oinks" that day. 

Not a good idea to play a football hooligan firm in the last game though.   We probably only won one nil because they were all wearing knuckle dusters.  I wonder what Victorian Sergio Tacchini clothing looked like? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Unused Sub said:

1887.jpg

Slightly dodgy database because we don't have the scores for the two matches agains Bye.

Bit of a mystery team, this I've been looking for information about them on Google but no luck so far...

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Out of interest - how many premier league teams do you think could beat 10 championship teams in a row? I think there'd be very few outside of the top 3 that wouldn't trip up.

I imagine there would be huge motivation issues for most PL teams having to face Championship ones.

Also imagine they would rest their top players to not have them kicked to pieces and to be fit for important games.

23 hours ago, Unused Sub said:

1887.jpg

I see we did a league double over small heath, and knocked them out of the cup for good measure, for an aggregate score of 10-0. l like it. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

I tell you what, we've not just made history, we've done it in style too. 

I am 49 and I genuinely cannot remember us being so entertaining.  Maybe some moments under BFR and Gregory but we are a joy to watch.  This is not a team grinding out results, we are an exciting team playing foot the ball the right way and scoring some glorious goals.

Good times. 

Little's team were easier on the eye and more successful than Gregory's in my opinion. Otherwise, I would agree.

@Keyblade raised it elsewhere but what has been everyone’s favourite of these ten?

I see the argument for Rotherham, it was the sort of game that other clubs seem to grind out on a regular basis despite things going against them, like Man Utd under Fergie (obviously the levels are different but the principle is the same). It also arguably had the best goal of this run in Jack’s winner.

Of course the small heath game is memorably satisfying. The complete performance against Derby which started the run from almost out of nowhere has got to be a consideration.

Part of me holds the Sheffield Wednesday game in the highest regard. Admittedly not the best performance, up against our former (unbeaten) manager, a bit of a grudge match, overturning a goal deficit, penalty save, last minute goal(s), but with the added craziness of results elsewhere going our way at more or less the same time. The final few pages of that match thread are a delirious read.

They’ve all been enjoyable in one way or another, but they’re the ones that immediately stand out in my mind.

• Like 2

On 23/04/2019 at 12:05, Unused Sub said:

1887.jpg

Interesting to see how many of those clubs are still going in one form or another:

SHA - sadly

Burton Wanderers (Burton Albion through several mergers)

Sheffield Wednesday

Walsall Town

Notts County

Stoke

Derby County

South Shore (merged with Blackpool)

Shankhouse FC (!)

London Casuals (merged with Corinthian Casuals)

Not sure about these Aston Unity bods though...... 

On 23/04/2019 at 12:05, Unused Sub said:

1887.jpg

That team was shite! They hit double figures four times yet didn't manage it in three games against the Small Heathens :rant:;)