Norway - Sweden - Iceland tips

Rodders

Evening chaps. God kvall, god kveld, gott kvold! ( excuse the absent accents )

So my partner and I are going aim to do a a scandi-tour towards the end of the year, going for 2-3 weeks as a big trip before family planning next year buggers everything up. I've done a bit of Sweden before, but any recommendations for slightly different things to do. The only definite activity desired from her indoors is the Northern Lights, that's pretty much why we're heading that way, a bit excessive for one admittedly very pretty night sky, and so google suggests Tromso is good for this. Has anyone ever been up that way and is there other stuff to do? We're aiming for a mix of outdoors and culture, city and nature if we can. It would be roughly late october - november time.

• 1 year later...
On 17/04/2019 at 21:36, Rodders said:

So my partner and I are going aim to do a a scandi-tour towards the end of the year, going for 2-3 weeks as a big trip before family planning next year buggers everything up. I've done a bit of Sweden before, but any recommendations for slightly different things to do. The only definite activity desired from her indoors is the Northern Lights, that's pretty much why we're heading that way, a bit excessive for one admittedly very pretty night sky, and so google suggests Tromso is good for this. Has anyone ever been up that way and is there other stuff to do? We're aiming for a mix of outdoors and culture, city and nature if we can. It would be roughly late october - november time.

Did you manage to visit these places? How’d you get on? 

Edited by Tayls

11 hours ago, Tayls said:

Did you manage to visit these places? How’d you get on? 

We only went Tromso in the end for 5 nights as our house move at the time was so protracted we didn't want to risk being away for too long, but Tromso was great to visit. Dog sledding, snowshoe walking, and great views from up a cable car point. Didn't see the northern lights, but definitely worth a visit.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2020 at 22:36, Rodders said:

We only went Tromso in the end for 5 nights as our house move at the time was so protracted we didn't want to risk being away for too long, but Tromso was great to visit. Dog sledding, snowshoe walking, and great views from up a cable car point. Didn't see the northern lights, but definitely worth a visit.

Awesome. I want to ‘travel’ Norway with the wife and child once all this craziness goes away or improves, so want to visit the main sorts of places and do some of the activities you mentioned above. Certainly the sledding - sounds awesome. 
Glad you enjoyed it! 

• Thanks 1

On 15/10/2020 at 00:30, Tayls said:

Awesome. I want to ‘travel’ Norway with the wife and child once all this craziness goes away or improves, so want to visit the main sorts of places and do some of the activities you mentioned above. Certainly the sledding - sounds awesome. 
Glad you enjoyed it! 

Yeah it was great I'd definitely do it again. I've been to the north of sweden before - prior gf was swedish, and that was cool, definitely an enjoyably different neck of the woods. Once we can go travelling I'd love to do more of sweden, norway finland maybe. 

• 1 month later...
On 22/10/2020 at 16:52, Rodders said:

Yeah it was great I'd definitely do it again. I've been to the north of sweden before - prior gf was swedish, and that was cool, definitely an enjoyably different neck of the woods. Once we can go travelling I'd love to do more of sweden, norway finland maybe. 

I lived in Sweden for about a year and loved it out there. Travelled to various bits of it (Stockholm, Uppsala, Kiruna, Gotland etc) and also across to Finland and Estonia. Some stunning locations and lovely people. Really need to go back sometime. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 17/04/2019 at 21:36, Rodders said:

Assuming you didn't go to Scandi yet due to covid? If you do hold off for a while and go next spring, aim to time it for when Valborg is happening as it's kinda like a 4 day long New Year's Eve party. 

14 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Assuming you didn't go to Scandi yet due to covid? If you do hold off for a while and go next spring, aim to time it for when Valborg is happening as it's kinda like a 4 day long New Year's Eve party. 

Nah, that was 2019 so we did do Norway fortunately in Oct November that year. Glad we didn't wait until March! We just did Tromso for 5 /6 days rather than a bigger tour of other countries, so we'll go back and do the others whenever we can in the future

• Like 1

Â