Villa Pre-Season 2019-2020

45 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Could we put the dates and times of the friendlies on the titles of the individual threads?

Date done.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Didnt realise we only had 2 left, times are not so important.  Cheers Bof

3 left.  Walsall, Charlton & Leipzig.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, villa4europe said:

social media saying we have a behind closed doors game vs the Kuwait national team today

the rumour mill saying they were well dirty, hacked us to pieces and wesley went off with a knock

On 23/07/2019 at 16:14, BigJim said:

Is it just me, or are our pre-season fixtures rather less strenuous than they might be?

Some of our competitors seem to be testing themselves against more serious opposition.

Yes, here's a comparison of the relegation-threatened teams (listing any friendly with a top-flight team in a serious league):

Sheff Utd: Real Betis, Stade Reims

Norwich: Schalke, Atalanta, Toulouse

Newcastle: Wolves, West Ham, St Etienne

Burnley: Nice, Parma

Bournemouth: Girona, Lazio, Lyon

Brighton: Valencia

Crystal Palace: Hertha Berlin

So it's really just Palace that have an easier pre-season than us.

I know pre-season matches don't matter a great deal, but you do want the intensity to be at least approaching real match intensity, so that the players are passing and moving with the right urgency. It's been too easy for our defenders to turn and dribble out of trouble against teams like Minnesota. Also, the weaker sides have been sticking some nasty fouls on our players, which I don't think would happen to the same extent against a better team.

In fairness, Leipzig are a good side, so that will be a good test for our players ahead of Spurs. But I think we could have squeezed in one or two slightly tougher fixtures.

Doubt it will have a huge impact on our points total next August, though!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Yes, here's a comparison of the relegation-threatened teams (listing any friendly with a top-flight team in a serious league):

Sheff Utd: Real Betis, Stade Reims

Norwich: Schalke, Atalanta, Toulouse

Newcastle: Wolves, West Ham, St Etienne

Burnley: Nice, Parma

Bournemouth: Girona, Lazio, Lyon

Brighton: Valencia

Crystal Palace: Hertha Berlin

So it's really just Palace that have an easier pre-season than us.

I know pre-season matches don't matter a great deal, but you do want the intensity to be at least approaching real match intensity, so that the players are passing and moving with the right urgency. It's been too easy for our defenders to turn and dribble out of trouble against teams like Minnesota. Also, the weaker sides have been sticking some nasty fouls on our players, which I don't think would happen to the same extent against a better team.

In fairness, Leipzig are a good side, so that will be a good test for our players ahead of Spurs. But I think we could have squeezed in one or two slightly tougher fixtures.

Doubt it will have a huge impact on our points total next August, though!

But them teams are all im different stages of pre season so wont be as competitive. Leipzig league starts week after us. La Liga and Serie A later as well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

But them teams are all im different stages of pre season so wont be as competitive. Leipzig league starts week after us. La Liga and Serie A later as well

Fair point, but I think it's not just about fitness / intensity, it's also about ability and tactical intelligence. I feel like in some of the friendlies it's been a bit too easy for our players to just toy with the opposition.

Anyway, Leipzig will be a very good test, so looking forward to that. Hopefully we've timed it perfectly.

Â