Home CCTV Cameras

imavillan

I have been looking into buying some security cameras for home use and as with most things the more you delve into it the more complicated it becomes.

I have searched many comparison sites, reviews, youtube vids etc etc and have decided to post some basic info on here to help any fellow Villains (or visitors)out there.

These are not reviews but just a list of basic info, which, during my research i found difficult to find all in one place. Basically camera price and cloud service/price.

You can find many reviews doing a quick google search 

I am yet to go ahead with a purchase. All i want is some basic stuff for while i'm on holiday and away from home.

If anyone has any first hand experience i would welcome some feedback on the products you have installed.

RING - https://en-uk.ring.com/products

Cameras - Stick up cam (indoor and outdoor), wireless or battery, £139 - Spotlight cam, wireless or battery £199

Cloud - £4.99 per cam - unlimited cameras £8pm or £80pa

LOGITECH CIRCLE 2 - https://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/circle-2-home-security-camera?buy=1

Cameras - £169 same camera is for indoor or outdoor use

Cloud - £2.99 per cam - up to 5 cams £5.99pm

EZVIZ - https://www.ezvizlife.com/uk/category/products/15

Cameras - Outside £100 - indoor £60

Cloud - £4.99 per cam - £49.99pa - each additional camera is £4.99pm or £49.99pa

CANARY https://canary.is/uk/how-it-works/

Camara - £199 - same camera is for indoor or outdoor use

Cloud - £ Free for up to 4 devices - £7.99pm or £79pa for up to 5 devices and additional features above the free version

NESThttps://nest.com/uk/cameras/

Cameras - £329 IQ outdoor wired - £149 standard outdoor wired - £129 indoor wired

Cloud - £4pm for one cam, additional cams are at a 50% discount 

ARLO PROhttps://www.arlo.com/uk/products/arlo-pro/default.aspx

Cameras - £209 - same camera for indoors/outdoors, wireless

Cloud - £ free for 7 days footage

3 hours ago, limpid said:

Something to be aware of is that the cameras will probably be useless if the operating company goes bust.

Or if they just get fed up of supporting it.

I certainly wouldn't expect Logitech or Nest to go under for example, but if it's not a profitable venture in a couple of years they'll turn it all off without a second thought.

• Like 1

I have had Ring Doorbell and it was generally ok but at times there was a delay of up to a couple of minutes which renders it useless. I have swapped to Nest and I am very pleased. The only issue is it could get expensive if you want to take out Nest Aware for every camera.

I've decided to go with the Arlo Pro by Netgear on the basis its free cloud. 

It has a good write up from the reviews i have read on the net and seen on youtube

Its being delivered Saturday.

I'll drop some feedback in here once i've set it up.

• Like 1

On 19/04/2019 at 09:56, imavillan said:

It has a good write up from the reviews i have read on the net and seen on youtube

Pro tip ;) : Sure you're not stupid but i know someone (who i also thought wasn't stupid) who bought two of these and returned them both ranting & raving that they did not come with the correct plugs. The uk plug fittings etc are in a small compartment underneath the camera which is easily missed if you open the camera from the top.

81d5LxUE1eL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/04/2019 at 09:56, imavillan said:

I've been watching the price of the Arlo kit on Amazon for a while and would love to know what you think of it.

7 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

I've been watching the price of the Arlo kit on Amazon for a while and would love to know what you think of it.

At the moment it all seems to be pretty good, so i am happy with the system.

I'll drop some more specific details in a post tomorrow when i have more time.

On 29/04/2019 at 09:21, stuart_75 said:

Had the system 2 weeks now and all is good.

The system has a base station which connects to your router and its very easy to set up. Takes about 10/15 minutes.

Again, easy to set up the cameras and east to fit. I have 2 on the front of the house and one at the back. I purchased additional fittings as these were going outside the house. I have 1 original Arlo fitting and then bought 2 from ebay at half the price. Both are good.

Picture quality is good, and the sensitivity of the cameras can be adjusted.

App for the phone is simple and easy to use. I have set up the geofencing on 2 iphones and so far this has worked great. Effectively switches the system on and off when i'm leaving or returning home.

Would i recommend this system, it's still early days but so far its a yes.

This is the one i have got from from Amazon I added an extra 2 cameras.

If anyone wants any further info just let me know.

4 hours ago, imavillan said:

App for the phone is simple and easy to use. I have set up the geofencing on 2 iphones and so far this has worked great. Effectively switches the system on and off when i'm leaving or returning home.

Can you share individual cameras with other people?

7 hours ago, limpid said:

Can you share individual cameras with other people?

Yes. In the app under settings there is a section where you can grant access to others by sending them an invite through their email.

Either all the cameras you have or individual ones.You send them an invite and they then download the app and join. You can give them admin rights or just let them view.

Its quite good really. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

Do you have all the cameras hard wired to the power or using the built in battery?

The system i have is wireless with rechargable batteries. You can see the battery status for each camera in the app.

On 09/05/2019 at 11:41, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

How long do the batteries hold out before a recharge? 

2 weeks in and they are showing at 95%.

i have read they last about 2 months, but it’s all about how much activity they / you have and use them.

• Like 1

Â