Notre Dame Cathedral on fire

villarule123

If disliking the French makes you a suspect then the French police will be interviewing suspects until 2609 :)

it was quite sad watching a national icon burn like that , even a religious one , hopefully they can restore it to its former glory 

• Like 1

Interview on the radio this morning with the organist of the cathedral, kicked off with something like "Where were you when the fire started?".

Maybe it's just me, but it seems a little early to point the finger of blame.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, peterms said:

Interview on the radio this morning with the organist of the cathedral, kicked off with something like "Where were you when the fire started?".

Maybe it's just me, but it seems a little early to point the finger of blame.

Good job this didn't happen in Wisconson, Steven Avery would have been found guilty! 

Cheers Nick 

18 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Was a bit like this in my house.

"Oh, no look the Notre Dame is burning down to the ground"

"Oh no"

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

"?!?!?"

"Oh sorry, yeah, bad taste. 2 unhappy Russians though!"

"What have the Russians done?"

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

"What now?"

"HOT CROSS NUNS!"

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cb50d163641575741

Sad I know but I can't believe I only got two reaction emoji things for that nun joke :lol: I blame the page break

• Haha 1

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

Apparently they've received over €700m to rebuild it already.  I'm not normally one to go on a moral crusade but surely that kind of money could make a huge difference to a lot of people rather than on a building.

£300m was a single donation from some people who make fancy clothes. The crowd-funder is being organised by the French Government. Yet it's the richest religious organisation in the world's building, so I was wondering if they'd offered a single bean of their billions to repair it

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Apparently they've received over €700m to rebuild it already.  I'm not normally one to go on a moral crusade but surely that kind of money could make a huge difference to a lot of people rather than on a building.

Isn't that about the estimated cost of recladding all of the tower blocks inspected after Grenfell?

54 minutes ago, bickster said:

£300m was a single donation from some people who make fancy clothes. The crowd-funder is being organised by the French Government. Yet it's the richest religious organisation in the world's building, so I was wondering if they'd offered a single bean of their billions to repair it

If they gave any of their money to the pore and needy, how would the pope impersonate Scrooge McDuck in the vatican vaults? :) 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

How much is the Catholic Church putting up for the rebuilding?

The state took it from the catholic church long long ago, it's not a catholic owned property.

The Landlord should pay. It's likely the poor record of refurbishment by the Landlord has contributed to / caused this.

Personally, I'd give it a fairly decent modern rebuild and give a few hundred million to good causes as a celebration of French state loving its people more than it's property.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's a shame and everything, but an English girl at work, who admitted she'd never been there, was in tears due to this news. Wtf. :unsure:

Attention whoring no doubt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Any excuse for a barely relevant fantastic anecdote:

A couple of years ago I was working on a listed building and needed to make some alterations to the roof. I asked the Planners and Dartmoor Park people if I could do the work at the same time as the planning and listed applications were going through as the work was quite urgent. I pointed out that the area I'd be working in was all relatively new and not listed anyway, so it would be a formality.

They sent me back quite a snooty essay on the history of the building. They told me it was not 'relatively new', it was Napoleonic. It had been made from the reclaimed timbers of prison ships and had held prisoners from the American War of Independence.

I sent them a bunch of photos of all the timber with the name of the timber supplier stencilled on the side. With a very brief note that just said 'please find attached photos from HMS Jewson'.

They went utter **** nuts. Worth it though.

I’m curious what they went **** nuts about?

9 minutes ago, brommy said:

I’m curious what they went **** nuts about?

on a superficial level, that they had their hubris handed back to them on a platter 

on a much more significant level, that somebody at some point had indeed removed 200 year old timber and stone from Napoleonic ships and replaced it with a job lot of blockwork and timber from Jewson

• Thanks 1

Â