Cup Final Five of Eight. Build Up.

Don_Simon

In the immortal words of long lost friends... we go again. 

Dean Smith said in post match press conference on Saturday that the players will have two days rest, so hopefully nicely refreshed for Friday. 

Some decisions to make... do Mings and Grealish come back in the team? Who gets left out if they do? McGinniesta two bookings away from another suspension - do we get tactical with this? If Bolton lose, they're relegated - perhaps them having to win plays into our hands?

Either way, I'll be in Kiev on Friday so if anyone knows of the Ukraine Villa Lions fan club, that's where I want to be!

• Like 1

You've got to bring Mings and Jack back in, definitely. Jedinak did well when he came in, but Mings is our go to guy. Him and Zebe in the middle are our starters if all are fully fit.

If McGinn gets booked he might as well get a 2nd yellow and be done with it.

• Like 1

Steer

Elmo  Tuanzebe  Mings  Taylor

Whelan

Grealish       Hourihane

Adomah    Abraham     El Ghazi

Everyone's going to have different opinions on how to handle the McGinn situation, for me I would rest him for the two games this weekend so that he can play against Leeds should be require the points. Two yellows would see him out of the playoffs.

However if Grealish is not back then I would take the risk on McGinn.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

You've got to bring Mings and Jack back in, definitely. Jedinak did well when he came in, but Mings is our go to guy. Him and Zebe in the middle are our starters if all are fully fit.

If McGinn gets booked he might as well get a 2nd yellow and be done with it.

I was wondering about this. If he gets two yellows against Bolton does he just miss one game? Or as he will have picked up his 15th booking would the three game ban be upheld?

Surely, there’s measures in place to stop teams being clever with deliberately getting yellows to offset the length of suspension.

I’d play him as usual until he picks up another yellow then rest him for playoffs, assuming we make it.  

Edited by roonst83

I would rest MGinn. He's averaging a yellow every 3 and a bit games. We have 4 left.  This is probably the easiest of them all. Bolton are all over the shop on and off the pitch. Sure have him on the bench in case. But I reckon 2 more wins and we are 99% in 5th place.  Bring him back for Millwall though.

Obviously we need to focus on our own game and picking up the win, but I really feel for Bolton and their fans right now. Hope we go there, get the job done, but also keep it respectful if we send them down.

We need McGinn for the playoffs 100%, so Smith has to manage that intelligently. If it means having him on the bench for the next couple of games, I don't know, but either that or he has to be reined in a bit. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Obviously we need to focus on our own game and picking up the win, but I really feel for Bolton and their fans right now. Hope we go there, get the job done, but also keep it respectful if we send them down.

We need McGinn for the playoffs 100%, so Smith has to manage that intelligently. If it means having him on the bench for the next couple of games, I don't know, but either that or he has to be reined in a bit. 

We need to be guaranteed of the playoffs first though. Easy with the run we are on to think we are invinceable. Football is a strange game at the best of games. 

6 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

No **** way. All that matters to me is furthering our own goals. Obviously if we're 4-0 up with 20 minutes to go it's worth giving key players a rest, but we need to make sure our goal difference is as high as possible.