Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Bristol City

limpid

Match Polls  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manger's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/04/19 at 22:59

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Weimann refusing to celebrate until a Villa player told him he didn't have to anyway

🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

On 14/04/2019 at 00:04, hippo said:

How does it look on TV ? I sat almost inline it honestly looked stonewalled penalty to me.

All the TV people thought it wasn't a pen based on the single camera angle which was from behind the Brizzle player. 

I was almost 90° to that and a more blatant penalty you wouldn't see.  The ref would have had my view from the other side.  

It's all about angles I guess but it was as you say so utterly stonewall I just couldn't understand the massive reaction.  I guess we are lucky that the ref was stood where he was as it seems that any view other than side on wouldn't have interpreted it that way. 

It was a forcible shove straight through the back of him. 

I thought we had a pen in the first half as well when someone was pushed over from a corner. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, walesavfc said:

may be just me but every time we play a small team, or a team with small team mentality they have someone who chucks in long throws but don`t do nowt else all game. is like playing with 10 men for rest of game

Thought BC were poor in the 2nd half. They went to headless chicken mode. And just got the ball forward at 100mph...with very little affect.

Lee Johnson really is a knob. 

Moaned about 2 big decisions questioning if the game was too big for the officials. 

1) the replay shows Weimann was clearly offside. 

2) as I have said on here earlier from where I sat the penalty was stonewall. I will always admit where I think we got away with one, but this was again the correct decision. 

Lee, your team were well well beaten and there is no hiding behind false accusations against the officials which is going to change that. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, newhavenhibby said:

Another great result, especially with a weakened side. I thought you would miss Mings and Jack  more but you kept the run going.

Play offs certainly beckon and then.......who knows👍😀

Your boy was outstanding again. You don't miss players so much when you have another who plays like there's 2 of him anyway. 

Dean Smith 

Excellent tactical adjustment to the personnel available. Without Jack's ability to hold possession and with Jedniak's lack of speed we played a very different defence set up. Much narrower and deeper, at times happy to sit and force Bristol into attacking arierally. This required discipline from El Ghazi (where he has improved as the season has gone on - despite his refusal to ever commit to any tackle with a physical element needed to win the ball) and Adomah but also a huge effort on their part to get forward and quickly when we broke up Bristol's attacks. We still looked vulnerable at times without Mings - but the set up and the willingness to play out a little less compared to recent weeks, meant that on the whole we kept them at arms length for significant periods. Well adjusted Dean! 

Players 

El Ghazi's best game once he realised at half time that he had their full back. He made full use of coming inside and looking to shoot or slip others in with reverse passes. Also, willing to cross earlier and earlier. Hourianne should have benefited with at least three goals. If he carries on in this vein, we will struggle to keep him unless we go up. 

SJM - everywhere - the legs of the team and the dynamism with and without the ball. As he develops his passing and poise, which at times can be lacking, what a player we will have! Of late he's starting to add the cross-field ball to either side with much greater accuracy and this then creates space for late runs into the box for balls in. A really added bonus to his dribbling and shifting possession quickly to Grealish. 

Tammy - hold up play and keeping possession can be poor - but he's a handful at all times, chases defenders and balls all day and is so often in the right place at the right time, you have to take his flaws with his huge positives. He's 21! Should have laid off to SJM in the first half though....striker's selfish streak?? 

Taylor, Jedinak, Whelen, Adomah, Tzansebe, Lansbury and Davis all performed roles well  - no one underperformed with the exception of ......

Hourianne - and that's only because his finishing ended up making the whole game much too tense for my heart rate in the second half. He gets in so many good positions, drifting into the box late, that he should have had four yesterday. 

Referee 

Should have sent Johnson off  - what a whining, disingenuous little man he is. ( look at the difference between his post match bitterness and Smith on the pitch shaking every Bristol players hand like they were his players. Class always tells!) 

Bring on the play offs and hopefully an away leg at the baggies first?? 

UTV

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, blandy said:

Over the season date, overall there are 3 sides better than us - the top 3. But as of right now, there aren't. Norwich and Leeds I think are the best 2 and will go up automatically, but then, of the rest, over this mini league for the play-offs, we look a really good bet. I'm old school, and would have the top 3 go up automatically, but that's not how it works, so just keep going, keep this fire burning and this club, one that I'd pretty much lost faith in seems to have phoenixed itself, and us, back into life.

I honestly think we are as good as anyone at the moment, I watched Leeds yesterday and they are still very competitive, but I think we would give them a game and I reckon we would win at a neutral ground, don’t forget while not at our best we went 2-0 up against them before our defensive frailties emerged, but we have addressed that now.

Sheff. Utd are the best team I have seen against us this season, and Leeds a close second, but I honestly think we have raised our game to where we have 4-5 players that can score, we do score a lot, we have a terrific team spirit and belief, the defence is massively improved, we have a huge self belief and momentum is with us. There isn’t a single team in the division that would fancy their chances against us now, we have the psychology of 8 wins in a row behind us too.

However as a word of caution, Derby or Bristol could still both pip us if we lose and draw another match and they keep up their own tempo.....

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Your boy was outstanding again. You don't miss players so much when you have another who plays like there's 2 of him anyway. 

He's a St Mirren boy really like his brothers but like to think we guided him in the right direction for you.  👍

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 2

Was a great win yesterday without Jack and Mings, two key players for us. When I saw the team sheet I worried when Grealish wasn't there, but we absolutely dominated Bristol for the whole game. 

Noticed that their fans really don't like us and how they're moaning about yesterday. Tbh it's pathetic what they've come out with, saying the ground is **** and the surrounding areas. Maybe they should go to Liverpool or Tottenham and see the surrounding areas there, maybe we should stick them in the Championship for that reason according to their logic. 

And to say Villa Park has no atmosphere is absolute dogshite, the Holte End is always in full voice and our away following along with Leeds is the best in the Championship. 

Very, very bitter club. Just let them get on with it. As they wish ill on us, I hope they lose out on the playoffs and Derby beat them to it. At least their fans are respectful and they actually have some quality players unlike Brizzle. 

7 hours ago, thunderball said:

I honestly think we are as good as anyone at the moment, I watched Leeds yesterday and they are still very competitive, but I think we would give them a game and I reckon we would win at a neutral ground, don’t forget while not at our best we went 2-0 up against them before our defensive frailties emerged, but we have addressed that now.

Sheff. Utd are the best team I have seen against us this season, and Leeds a close second, but I honestly think we have raised our game to where we have 4-5 players that can score, we do score a lot, we have a terrific team spirit and belief, the defence is massively improved, we have a huge self belief and momentum is with us. There isn’t a single team in the division that would fancy their chances against us now, we have the psychology of 8 wins in a row behind us too.

However as a word of caution, Derby or Bristol could still both pip us if we lose and draw another match and they keep up their own tempo.....

True , but they have to keep winning too?

for the run in, the big thing form looking at what we need to make it, is Bristol have to play Derby, thats a big one for us as one of them will fall back from that game, or both if they draw.

If we win 2 of the next 4 games, that would mean Bristol and Derby would have to will pretty much all their remaining games to knock us out of the playoffs.

Bristol vs Derby is a big help for us as they are probably our two main rivals for the two remaning playoff places, with Boro prob the next team in line depending on their form in the last 4 games.

The below screen shot assumes:

- Derby win ALL their remaining games (the Bristol vs Derby game i havent completed to show the effect)

- Bristol win ALL their remaining games (the Bristol vs Derby game i havent completed to show the effect)

- Boro win ALL their remaining games

- Villa WIN vs Bolton & Milwall, but LOSE to Leeds & Norwich

- All other playoff teams win ALL games vs teams not challenging for the playoffs.

As you can see, even with the SUPER worst case scenario, we are still pretty close, so assuming some form of reality applies to the league results, it would seem 2/4 wins for us, "should" be enough for the playoffs.

leaguepred.png

Â