Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Bristol City

limpid

Match Polls  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manger's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/04/19 at 22:59

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

for the run in, the big thing form looking at what we need to make it, is Bristol have to play Derby, thats a big one for us as one of them will fall back from that game, or both if they draw.

If we win 2 of the next 4 games, that would mean Bristol and Derby would have to will pretty much all their remaining games to knock us out of the playoffs.

Bristol vs Derby is a big help for us as they are probably our two main rivals for the two remaning playoff places, with Boro prob the next team in line depending on their form in the last 4 games.

The below screen shot assumes:

- Derby win ALL their remaining games (the Bristol vs Derby game i havent completed to show the effect)

- Bristol win ALL their remaining games (the Bristol vs Derby game i havent completed to show the effect)

- Boro win ALL their remaining games

- Villa WIN vs Bolton & Milwall, but LOSE to Leeds & Norwich

- All other playoff teams win ALL games vs teams not challenging for the playoffs.

As you can see, even with the SUPER worst case scenario, we are still pretty close, so assuming some form of reality applies to the league results, it would seem 2/4 wins for us, "should" be enough for the playoffs.

leaguepred.png

I would say in terms of odds.....There is as much chance of us going up automatically as that happening....The other teams will drop points, trust me.

We are the team they are ALL worried about....its form now that counts and we are top of the heap.

Edited by TRO

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 00:23, ciggiesnbeer said:

Is this the real life? DO NOT pinch me.

Is this just fantasy? Don't Stop Me Now, we're having such a good time. Whilst it may be true that Too Much Love Can Kill You, especially given how badly we have been run in the last decade or so, we're in with a decent shout now. It's A Kind Of Magic that Mr Smith has begun to unfurl across the Villa landscape, and we put a large myth to bed over the course of the game... able to win without Jack and Tyrone. When it looked like he would be back Under Pressure... He had One Vision... and that was still to win.

I remember back in the era of Big Ron (the team that finished 2nd and won the league cup the following season) and the Brian Little 'Squaddies' era where team spirit seemed parallel with what we are seeing now... and These Are The Days Of Our Lives... So again, another win... Another One Bites The Dust... and The Show Must Go On. Lee Johnson meanwhile showing once more that he needs Somebody To Love.

Aston Villa, the Love Of My Life. Bring on those Fat Bottomed Girls from Bolton. 😉

Edited by Raver50032
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

Is this just fantasy? Don't Stop Me Now, we're having such a good time. Whilst it may be true that Too Much Love Can Kill You, especially given how badly we have been run in the last decade or so, we're in with a decent shout now. It's A Kind Of Magic that Mr Smith has begun to unfurl across the Villa landscape, and we put a large myth to bed over the course of the game... able to win without Jack and Tyrone. When it looked like he would be back Under Pressure... He had One Vision... and that was still to win.

I remember back in the era of Big Ron (the team that finished 2nd and won the league cup the following season) and the Brian Little 'Squaddies' era where team spirit seemed parallel with what we are seeing now... and These Are The Days Of Our Lives... So again, another win... Another One Bites The Dust... and The Show Must Go On. Lee Johnson meanwhile showing once more that he needs Somebody To Love.

Aston Villa, the Love Of My Life. Bring on those Fat Bottomed Girls from Bolton. 😉

I love this post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

the-scream.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I saw four incidents in the game where the ref had an influence.

• Firstly the Weimann goal - I sit exactly in line with it and at the time it didn't strike me as offside. I'm not a neutral, I'm looking for any excuse to scream at a linesman but at the time I didn't see anything and indeed, no one near me seemed to appeal for it. That said, replays and the picture further up the thread suggest the linesman got it right and it was. Well done him I guess.
  • For the penalty, it was difficult for me to see - I'm directly behind the defender so it's hard to see the contact and how it plays out. At the game I thought it looked soft, and I was a little surprised to see it given. There's an angle below (on around the 5:00 mark) which I think makes it look more like a foul. Does Hourihane go down easily? Absolutely. Is it a foul? I'm still not sure, I think it probably is, but one I don't think you always get. Hourihane certaintly doesn't back into the man - he stands his ground, and looking at the post as a marker, it's the defender who moves forward, through Hourihane by a couple of yards. If it had happened at the other end, I'd have been an angry sweary thing for the remainder of the game.
  • I thought Abraham was onside when he was played through - it's one that's difficult to judge, and all of the replays don't seem to pick him up until the ball reaches him, by which time he looks a mile offside, but on the day, to me, he looked on when the ball was played.
  • The other one, which no one seems to have mentioned is a tackle in the first half by Pack on Elmohamady, down near the Bristol support. He was on a booking, late, sliding and with his foot raised - it's not a horror tackle or the like, but I think it was a second yellow and he should have gone. It might have been harsh on him, there wasn't a great deal of malice, but I'm 100% sure he'd have picked up a yellow for it if he didn't already have one.

Not that I think the referee ultimately decided the game - the first half was even and that neither team had scored was surprising given the chances, but we came out for the start of the second half and upped our game - the game was decided in the first 25 minutes of the second half, when we could have had three or four. In that period of dominance, the penalty didn't change that for my money, a goal was coming and deserved at that point.

Lee Johnson doesn't like Villa, I'm not sure where it started, but it's something that's been going on pretty much since we got here - looking at this record and the team he's built at Bristol City, he's clearly a talented manager and a very good one, but his dislike of us seems to be having an effect on performances, it's strange. He needs to get over it for the sake of the team I think. I think Bristol City will be fined for failing to control their players, either overall for the eight bookings in the game, or for the disgraceful scenes around the penalty decision.

• Like 2

On 15/04/2019 at 09:57, Raver50032 said:

Oh and  " We are the champions"......of the form league....after the last game, I feel like "Mr Fahrenheit"😀

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

On 13/04/2019 at 18:38, OutByEaster? said:

These are days you remember.

The sun shone, we sang songs and we were royally entertained by a team deservedly rewarded with an eighth straight victory.

Individually they impressed - El Ghazi was a livewire all day, taking on the left back time and again and beating him. Taylor was busy and determined behind him. Bruce was right, Jedinak can play centre back - it just took a better manager to get him there, Tuanzebe played like he hadn't missed a beat, Elmohamady is a revelation at the moment, Hourihane Hourihane'd, McGinn McGinn'd and Whelan Whelan'd wonderfully. Adomah is learning to live without pace and making it look easier all the time and Tammy Abraham has the calmest twenty one year old head you will ever see.

Individually schmindividually - this is a team, a team blessed with a fantastic attitude; positivity, determination, courage, responsibility, togetherness, belief and lots and lots of hard graft - what's more, Villa Park feels like it's part of that team, I can't remember a time when the team and the fans felt so closely joined together. This team tries; it's full of players that play for Villa like you and I would play for Villa if we were any good. The atmosphere at Villa Park is special - we're all in this together - genuinely together, not in a sloganeering way, genuinely together. 

What's more - the attitude and the atmosphere is developing the ability to transcend personnel - if I'd told you three months ago we'd be beating a playoff team with Jedinak at centre half, Steer in goal, Elmohamady, Lansbury and Davies you'd have thought I was crazy - but each of those players has slotted in and given us something good. The whole just seems to take on any new part and make it better - the team is making the players more and the team is taking the supporters with it.

On the game, I thought the first half was fairly even, both sides had chances - they missed a header and had a goal ruled out for offside that looked marginal (with the comic sight of Weimann refusing to celebrate until a Villa player told him he didn't have to anyway) we forced a couple of saves from their keeper including one which from where I was sat was clearly impossible. Bristol City and their angry manager would have gone in at half time thinking they were a match for us and might take advantage of our missing players.

We came out for the second half and upped it a gear. A gear Bristol City haven't got. A gear no one else in this division has got. From the start of the second half until they scored on 78 minutes we were brilliant - we could have had five or six. I have no idea if the penalty was a penalty, but once they're given you get on with it - their reactions were very poor and do them no credit. Seven bookings on the day and eight if you include the manager. Our players don't go in for that - they're too busy working their socks off and creating chances - Davies had a couple, McGinn on a run in from a short corner, Hourihane a header and a shot, Jedinak off the line, shots from El Ghazi - it's almost too much to remember the detail.

And today, and right now as a Villa fan, the detail doesn't matter - the feeling does - the feeling that this team won't give up on us, they won't shy away from the work, they'll give you what they've got and expect the same from you - the feeling that we've forgotten how to lose, that we can't lose, that we won't allow it to happen. It's not like any other love, this one's different because it's us. It might well take us all the way. 

Days to remember, dreams to be had.

Agreed. 

Â