Pre Match Thread

maqroll

13 hours ago, Sid4ever said:

Nah there’s enough pirates on here already and we prefer to talk to the founding club of the city 🤣

I don't think you'll find any Roman Glass St George fans on here.

Oldest club in the city but they only get crowds of about 50.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We welcome Bristol City to Villa Park on Saturday for what will be a very tough top of the table clash. A win would stretch our lead over them to 4 points. They have a game in hand on us, so this game gives us an opportunity to ensure that a win from that, would not take them above us. Our visitors last won and last scored at Villa Park 40 years ago. Overall we have won 17 and have drawn 11 of the 37 league meetings that there have been between the two clubs. 

We will be missing Tyrone for this one, thanks to his harsh sending off at Rotherham. Hopefully Kortney will be fit to come in alongside Axel. I guess that it is too soon, for Chester to possibly make the bench? Should Johnny Danger start this one, coming in for El Ghazi perhaps? 

Let's make it 8 wins on the bounce in front of a packed Villa Park on Saturday. That would put us on 69 points and could increase the gap between the clubs that are outside the play off places and ourselves to 6 points, with 4 games of the season remaining. Three wins would give us 75 points and that is likely to be near to, or the points total that would bring us play off qualification. We need another win on Saturday, do it for us Villa! 

• Like 1

I believe we will this comfortably take 3 points Saturday, I reckon we will over take baggies by end of season. Although it wont help us much 

As it looks like we would meet them in the semis as we would both finish 4 and 5 what ever. I would love to see us meet Bristol in the final.

A lot less hassle with the traveling to Wembley. Other wise every one travels from the North to London. I forecast some issues if that occurs 

49 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I will never get why Bristol City hate us so much. For that reason I hope we completely destroy them. 

Isn't it because we absolutely destroyed them last season, and Johnson spat his dummy out about our crowd at VP, due to showboating. 

3 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

I don't think you'll find any Roman Glass St George fans on here.

Oldest club in the city but they only get crowds of about 50.

Fantastic name. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

I will never get why Bristol City hate us so much. For that reason I hope we completely destroy them. 

Isn't it just a recent thing from when we came down like Billy Big Bollocks and basically decided who we were going to sign from everyone, and took the likes of Kodjia, smashing transfer records like they were nothing.  I can see how that would grate.

4 hours ago, Rodders said:

Take advantage of Kodja's brimming with energy and start him, alongside Tammy. 

Whelan in for Hourihane. Assume Kortney in for Mings. 

Looking less than likely.

Smith : "[Kortney] is going to struggle. I’ll leave it as late as possible but it’s looking doubtful at the moment. He’s got a hip flexor problem and it can affect the abdominal side of it. If he’s not ready we’ve got people who can go and play there like Mile Jedinak showed on Wednesday evening.”

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Fantastic name. 

In their best ever season they finished above Bristol Rovers, Southampton and one of the teams that became Bristol City, only behind Swindon Town. However, that was about 120 years ago and while the Western Premier was a reasonable division back in the 1890s, it's now the 9th tier and they struggle in it, if they're even in it at all.

Looks like we will have Jedi in at CB. He was great mid week, but Weimann is exactly the type of player I worry about him facing - busy, puts on a lot of pressure, and pretty nippy. Think this will be one of those games where we have to outscore the opposition, rather than a routine win.

Given this, and the performance of Kodjia on Wednesday, and the relative innefectiveness of our wingers this season, as well as how solid our full backs have been of late, I’d be extremely tempted by a 4-4-2 diamond, with Hourihane AM as we all know how dangerous he can be there. Risky changing formation at this stage, but given the no doubt end to end nature of this game I think it might be worth it.

jed

elmo Tuanzebe Jedi Taylor

Whelan

Grealish SJM

Hourihane

Tammy Kodjia

14 minutes ago, BOF said:

So I had to look.

They are.

They usually are in the division below.

Didn't help them that at their old ground people could literally open their garden gate and they are inside the "stadium" without paying.

I used to go to watch teams in that division quite regularly following Bristol Manor Farm (we have some cracking team names down here).

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

In their best ever season they finished above Bristol Rovers, Southampton and one of the teams that became Bristol City, only behind Swindon Town. However, that was about 120 years ago and while the Western Premier was a reasonable division back in the 1890s, it's now the 9th tier and they struggle in it, if they're even in it at all.

Wow. St George’s, now you’re talking. Didn’t know a version of them were still about today.

Both them and your other neighbour had stints in the Birmingham League in the late 1890s and thus regularly played our stiffs. One of Grealish’s great grandad’s first goals for the villa’s second string was against St George’s in the Birmingham League back in 1897.

St George’s most famous player would be our double winner Baldy Reynolds. He had a brief spell there at the fag end of his career.

That concludes todays history lesson! As you were.

• Like 3

Travelling up for the Blackburn home game I was cock-a-hop and convinced that we were going to give them a hiding. However, as we know it ended up being much tighter than expected. So I am less optimistic for this game and hoping my pessimism does the trick. All talk of another win has been banned in my family. The old superstitions will hopefully work 🙂 

• Like 2