• Adomah
    • Abraham
    • Jedinak (Adomah 37)
    • Kodjia (El Ghazi 45)
    • Whelan (Grealish 90)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/04/19 at 13:00

3 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

A fantastic second half, which made up for the dreadful first.

Special mentions to Braveheart McGinn, the guy isn't human. He is such a top class player, he's going all the way to the top I hope we go with him.

Elmo, Jedinak and Axel in the second half were all excellent too. Almost faultless.

Jack was Jack, and Kodjia put in his best performance of the season.

Well played Dean Smith as well, superb management, and to get 7 wins in a row against 7 difficult fixtures is something we never would have dreamed of a month ago. 

Big kudos to Jedinak who has copped a lot in this season for his performance or lack of (some deservedly). He's played very little football over this season and stepped in when we were under the pump and played well. He's not going to be a regular, but great to see him step up when required

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NoCoder said:

Big kudos to Jedinak who has copped a lot in this season for his performance or lack of (some deservedly). He's played very little football over this season and stepped in when we were under the pump and played well. He's not going to be a regular, but great to see him step up when required

He's a pro. He knows he's not in Smith's or the clubs plans but he's not going to spit the bottle. A good veteran to have around the club I'm sure.

This run has been so much fun and has recently been topped off with last minute winners and comeback victories with only 10 men. Absolutely incredible. 

It's probably the negativity that comes with being a Villa fan for over 20 years but I'm waiting for the come down to earth thud. We just have to make and win the playoffs or we will be back at square 1.

52 minutes ago, Londonastonvilla said:

Our strong team spirit is getting us valuable points.

Having players like McGinn is so important,he sets an example that others have to follow.

but in the first half tonight.....they didn't.

Dean Smith was going ballistic on the side...we had one too many not on the front foot.

Edited by TRO

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

but in the first half tonight.....they didn't.

Dean Smith was going ballistic on the side...we had one too many not on the front foot.

Agree but it’s natural in my view ( see above !)

1 hour ago, SirSteveUK said:

Attached - 1989/90 (In the Title season we also went 8-1-0 in 9 games run - and 8-2-0 in a 10 game run)

Screen Shot 04-10-19 at 08.13 PM.PNG

Cheers, Had somehow got the results in the wrong order and had the 3-0 loss to Wimbledon down as 24/1 rather than 24/2

Edited by LakotaDakota

7 hours ago, Hornso said:

This run has been so much fun and has recently been topped off with last minute winners and comeback victories with only 10 men. Absolutely incredible. 

It's probably the negativity that comes with being a Villa fan for over 20 years but I'm waiting for the come down to earth thud. We just have to make and win the playoffs or we will be back at square 1.

All the hallmarks of a Coldplay song... 😀

Last night, second half, was a Sky Full Of Stars... As we reach the end of our Parachutes payments, we have to hope we can get back to the Paradise of the Premier League. It seems that Dean Smith sent a Message to the team at half time to dust themselves down and generate a performance that could translate to a Hymn For The Weekend. John McGinn, a performance correlating to the Speed Of Sound. The sending off of Mings for two Yellows will undoubtedly make Saturday an even bigger challenge. The Hardest Part will be recovery from last night's heroics. In Dean I trust... and in Villa, a renewed faith I have...

Up the Villa... A few posts back, the McGinn heat map showed global coverage, with one poster lamenting the possibility of him not being able to swim... Well, this is McGinn, super John McGinn... I'm sure he wouldn't be Swallowed By The Sea...

Enjoy this result VillaTalk... rejoice at the magnificent 7. Feel free to strut around your offices, your shop floors... your supermarkets... Strut... I'm enjoying this run.

Edited by Raver50032
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Coldplay ... mmmm ? Paradise I can go for. I have to say I cannot remember a season where there have been so many dramatic games. From the thrashings of Derby and Boro away to the incredible Forest 5-5 to the remarkable 3-3 against Sheff Utd and the home displays against Derby in the first half and ...... what a season. Sometimes it seems to come easy and sometimes you have to dig deep against niggling unsavoury opponents and last night was one of those for sure. There are times when you look at other teams and think you wish you had characters who step up when the going gets tough and take responsibility. Well last night there were a lot of them. McGinn stands out because he simply demands the responsibility, demands the ball, demands that others follow his example. But I was as impressed with Elmo. If there was anyone in that ground who thought he would pull the ball back for Jack for the goal, I want their number for this week's lottery. For a man I could cheerfully have seen walking away with his head bowed and not to darken our ground again after his complete brain fade in the last minute against Leeds, he seems like a completely different guy. Someone will probably point out the number of minutes Jedinak and Tuanzebe have played together as centre defence but it can't be many and yet they looked solid last night. One header Jedinak won was that of a man possessed. Kodjia came on and seemed oblivious to the wreckage he was trying to salvage, just a guy who looked committed and that penalty is as good as you will see. No pressure eh ? Jack's goal was poetry in motion. I don't know how he glides past defenders at times with them unable to move. Is that something he has picked up from Star Trek ? Final word for the ref. The last time I saw an official that incompetent was in the parks and the card for Dean Smith was beyond laughable. It was almost as if the players got an extra edge from knowing they were dealing with a complete ..

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, spineynorman said:

Coldplay ... mmmm ? Paradise I can go for. I have to say I cannot remember a season where there have been so many dramatic games. From the thrashings of Derby and Boro away to the incredible Forest 5-5 to the remarkable 3-3 against Sheff Utd and the home displays against Derby in the first half and ...... what a season. Sometimes it seems to come easy and sometimes you have to dig deep against niggling unsavoury opponents and last night was one of those for sure. There are times when you look at other teams and think you wish you had characters who step up when the going gets tough and take responsibility. Well last night there were a lot of them. McGinn stands out because he simply demands the responsibility, demands the ball, demands that others follow his example. But I was as impressed with Elmo. If there was anyone in that ground who thought he would pull the ball back for Jack for the goal, I want their number for this week's lottery. For a man I could cheerfully have seen walking away with his head bowed and not to darken our ground again after his complete brain fade in the last minute against Leeds, he seems like a completely different guy. Someone will probably point out the number of minutes Jedinak and Tuanzebe have played together as centre defence but it can't be many and yet they looked solid last night. One header Jedinak won was that of a man possessed. Kodjia came on and seemed oblivious to the wreckage he was trying to salvage, just a guy who looked committed and that penalty is as good as you will see. No pressure eh ? Jack's goal was poetry in motion. I don't know how he glides past defenders at times with them unable to move. Is that something he has picked up from Star Trek ? Final word for the ref. The last time I saw an official that incompetent was in the parks and the card for Dean Smith was beyond laughable. It was almost as if the players got an extra edge from knowing they were dealing with a complete ..

Ooooh, a closet Billy Ocean fan eh?

Everything's So Different under Smith isn't it? With Smith in charge, there is an air of positivity and our Emotions In Motion feel so Bitter Sweet. For sure, There'll Be Sad Songs along the way... as we venture along The Long And Winding Road towards renewed success. Suddenly, we've won 7 on the spin... It's magical at the moment... and hopefully the Holte End will be all Calypso Crazy come full time on Saturday.

Second brilliant away day in five days in South Yorkshire. The noise from the away end after half time - top drawer.

Awful ref despite giving us two pens.

Kodjia was fantastic. One of his best ever Villa performances - an absolute nightmare for their defence. Bringing him on was a master stroke by Smith, love that we have an attacking manager!

Jack again provided the quality when we needed him most.

MOTM McGinn - I have no words for his second half performance - never seen anything like it from one player! Just take a moment to let it sink in that he’s not in the Championship team of the season...

My next game is Millwall. Do the business for me in the meantime please boys!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Rotherham United manager Paul Warne told BBC Sheffield:

"There's no shame to us losing to the in-form side in the league. We were excellent first half. We've gone toe to toe with them.

"Their manager gave them a rallying call and they came out flying after the break. We had a few near misses but we just didn't get to the heights we did in the first half.

"Them going down to 10 men didn't actually help us. And their lad was unlucky to go off for handball. That was a bit extreme for me."

FAIR PLAY

And credit to him the way his team played, especially first half.

• Like 2

@adam67 I agree with all that except the noise from the fans.

Second Half was fine.

First half there were only a group on the right singing. I was behind the goal and it was like a morgue. I always sing but I’ve never felt as much out of place doing so as last night ! It was really disappointing given how everyone had let loose after  the Wednesday game.

I’ve only ever sat in the Trinity once, and it was like that. Second half - once we’d scored - fine.

Hoping for a Holte in full voice on Saturday !

11 hours ago, terrytini said:

Just in.

Absolutely fantastic.

I have never seen a Villa team work as hard as in that second half. Every one  of them was outstanding.

And for the Manager to be able to get that level of performance out of them...10/10.

Im as impressed with that performance as any I’ve seen.

First half we were a little laboured. I think with the way we play now it onl6 takes a couple of players to be not quite at it for the system to show the strain.

Taylor and Axel were shaky, Mings was not at ease on the Left. Additionally Rotherham, at home, following a good result at the weekend, were right in our faces. 

I dont share the concerns of some about all that though. It’s perfectly normal for a team to be unable to sustain peak performance.

Whether it’s a World Cup  or the Championship, performance levels ebb and flow, the key is to get the results.

And I will never suggest Hourihane shys away from a scrap again.....he was as up for it as anyone Second Half.

No point mentioning McGinn. I will wait until someone invents a whole new dictionary of superlatives.

Oh how we miss SJM at Easter road, we are not the same team without him. Although the Hibees would benefit were he to move on, please god he goes with the Villa to the Premier League. Clubwise (by that I mean size and potential) surely  only Manchester United are bigger. A point i'm sure is not lost on John.

• Like 4

Â