Cup Final Three of Eight. Build Up.

Don_Simon

Here we go then.....

We have nothing to fear and really should expect nothing more than a win. Regardless of a ''decent'' home recored they are in the bottom 3 because they are not very good.

In games like this its all about the application of the team. If the mindset is right i expect nothing more than a win, barring crap ref decisions giving them a dogdy pen or us a red card.

https://www.skysports.com/football/rotherham-vs-a-villa/preview/393034

Opta stats

Rotherham United have lost their last five matches against Aston Villa without finding the net in any of those games.

Aston Villa have not lost away at Rotherham United since the first leg of the League Cup final in August 1961 (W3 D1 L0 since).

All eight of Rotherham's Championship wins this season have been by a one-goal margin.

Since his first league match in charge on October 20th, only Norwich City (67) have scored more Championship goals than Dean Smith's Aston Villa (53).

In their 2-1 win over Nottingham Forest, Rotherham striker Michael Smith both scored and assisted in a league match for the first time since Boxing Day 2014 for Swindon Town against Walsall.

John McGinn has been involved in six goals in his last four league appearances for Aston Villa (4 goals, 2 assists).

6 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Why is Rotherhams ground called the New York Stadium? serious question

A few different reasons according to Wiki.

1. The reason for the name is that the area of land that the stadium lies upon is called ‘New York’ and it was thought that it would be better to name the stadium after history and/or where the stadium is situated, like nearby stadiums Bramall Lane and Hillsborough.

2. Also Guest and Chrimes (the old Foundry site upon which the stadium is built) used to make fire hydrants for New York City.
2a. Chairman Tony Stewart also hopes that the name could bring investment from New York City or further afield, as the New York Yankees chairman had recently said that he wanted to invest in an English football team.

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Never thought I would utter the words this game against Rotherham is huge but it is. We need to keep the momentum going especially with what we have on Saturday. It is all about mental attitude and matching their effort and our quality will then shine through.

I too think effort will be key in this game, with our talent being the cutting edge.

i think it will be a tough encounter and they will scrap for their lives......it will take a real promotion teams approach to win this.

• Like 3

For far too long now these kind of games against these kind of teams have been our Achilles Heel.

But those were different Villa teams, coached by different teams and I have a greater sense of optimism about our likelihood of "showing up" against all teams now. I also have a much greater sense of optimism about our likelihood of putting teams like this away now in a brutal fashion.

We a a very potent team at this level and have a steel and ruthlessness that has been missing. It's like some stupid, misguided sense of sporting pity that we once had has been coached out of them and a mean gene has been bred into them. But Deano did say he wanted Villa to be fearsome by handing out thrashings and feared because of it.

I think we'll do what's needed here. We might crush them, we might grind them down, but I think we'll do them.

1 hour ago, privateer said:

For far too long now these kind of games against these kind of teams have been our Achilles Heel.

But those were different Villa teams, coached by different teams and I have a greater sense of optimism about our likelihood of "showing up" against all teams now. I also have a much greater sense of optimism about our likelihood of putting teams like this away now in a brutal fashion.

We a a very potent team at this level and have a steel and ruthlessness that has been missing. It's like some stupid, misguided sense of sporting pity that we once had has been coached out of them and a mean gene has been bred into them. But Deano did say he wanted Villa to be fearsome by handing out thrashings and feared because of it.

All that is true, but we do have some weaknesses. We still have a tendency to lapses of concentration and making silly mistakes defensively. And we still squander too many chances in front of goal. If we could iron those out we would be well nigh unbeatable, but sadly we're not there yet. Let's not get cocky, there are plenty of banana skins to negotiate yet. 

7 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Fwiw the first thing that comes up when I Google Rotherham is a wiki article about a child sexual exploitation scandal.

And going down the list it's pretty much all about child sex abuse.

Seems like a lovely town, bet they are desperate for something else to put them on the map.

Edited by sne

3 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Hoping for a Rotherham win with Tammy, Grealish and McGinn all getting sent off for fighting each other.

Only Aston Villa get that sort of luck 😉

This lot are bottom 3 for a reason. The only thing that will stop us getting 3 points is complacency. If the attitude is right from the off we win. 

1-3.