Cup Final Three of Eight. Build Up.

Don_Simon

In one man's wise words... we go again!

After beating Forest, Rotherham will be energised, so perhaps this is a game where some changes could be made? 

Either way, clear eyes, full hearts... can't lose.

We've developed a pattern where we're brilliant for the opening twenty or thirty minutes, then lose all our spark. If we haven't beaten you in that first twenty or so, then we're going to find it a struggle. It's a pattern we need to fix, but I also think it's a pattern that might pay off against Rotherham - if we score first and early it'll take the wind out of their sails.

Results Tuesday could make this a really, really big three points.

• Like 1

Would think starting Tuanzebe, connor, adomah and even Kodjia may be a good idea here; Some really need the rest!

In an ideal world we could give a run out to Lansbury and Davis late on too!

We do struggle against the bottom clubs. Breaking them open even with Jack hasn't be easy. 

I'd be tempted to start Conor over Whelan for more of an offensive spark, but we've sacrificed defense for offense against poorer teams before and have been gravely punished. 

I don't know. Tough decision for Dean, but I imagine he keeps the team the same. 

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

We've developed a pattern where we're brilliant for the opening twenty or thirty minutes, then lose all our spark. If we haven't beaten you in that first twenty or so, then we're going to find it a struggle. 

At least it's better than at Christmas when if we hadn't scored 3 we would find it a struggle! 

• Like 1

It's one of those games that we always seem to fail to get the result we expect.

6 wins in a row against teams who bar Wednesday,  were all above us at the start of the run.

Now we play 3rd from bottom... let's keep everything crossed for a win and no injuries, although there's that part of me thinking 1-1 and we score in the 89th minute to equalise purely because we always seem to fold against teams we should beat.

Steer

Elmo  Tuanzebe  Mings  Taylor

Hourihane

McGinn        Grealish

El Ghazi    Abraham    Adomah

Freshen the side up and give Green and Whelan a bit of a rest. Hause is likely going to be out injured so it will be a good game for Tuanzebe to get some match fitness, he looked a bit rusty yesterday.

Would be good to get ahead and bring Lansbury on for Grealish and Kodjia for El Ghazi. All about playing the squad well at this point in the season.

• Like 1

Rotherham battling to stay up, very good result against Forest so we will have to be at it and hopefully see a much better performance than against Wednesday. 

Definitely need some rotation and freshening up - Adomah likely to come in for Green and Hourihane for Whelan. Tuanzebe will start if Hause is out injured. Maybe Kodjia will play but his work rate is questionable and he tries to much to be a fancy dan, so I imagine he'll be impact sub again.

Don't think those changes will make us any weaker to be honest and the way we've been playing (last 30 against Blackburn, most of the game against Sheff Wed) a few changes are needed to get us playing at our best again. 

Rotherham look a threat from set plays, they don't have many goalscorers in their team (think Ajayi their central defender is their top scorer), but they'll make it difficult for us. Hopefully we can come out all guns blazing first half and score a couple, then hopefully see the game out without any nerves. 

32 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

This game has banana skin written all over it. I'm more nervous about this one than Sheff Wed.

Absolutely this...

If ever there was a team that could conspire to disappoint at the least expected moment, it is Aston Villa and this fixture. We have to be wary as a Club (the team and the fans) that this is a tricky fixture, away from home against a team fighting for their Championship lives. We can't go there dancing around all BillyBigBollox (the team and the fans) as our fine form over the last 6 games can all be undone in one moment of unexpected football. We have to treat Rotherham with respect - they are at home and can damage us. We can't go there and expect a cake walk. If we do, we could end up like that portly Wolves fan that BT Sport focussed on wearing that topical bandana, the old gold shirt and even a pair of what looked like keeper's gloves. Nothing looks worse than an image of 'full kit rocket polisher' when your team is falling apart.

Come on Villa... do us proud... But underestimate them at your peril...

Edited by Raver50032
  • Like 3

It goes without saying that we need to be professional here.  Rotherham have found a relatively rich vein of form for someone 22nd in the table.  They are not going down without a fight, and there are 3 teams within striking distance of them and safety.  They've won 3 of their last 6 games having won 3 of their previous 29, and they've only lost 3 out of 11.  Again, for someone 22nd in the league, it's dangerous enough to be taken seriously.  These are the kind of games that can bite you.  I'm confident we'll win.  I just know how football can work sometimes.  Get it done lads.

• Like 3

Some good posts in here giving the respect that Rotherham deserve and I hope the Villa team and management do the same, I am sure they will do.

Attitude is key in games like this, on paper our squad is much superior but we have to earn the right to play then let the football do the talking. 

I would be tempted to bring Kodjia for Green and Hourihane for Whelan, but wouldn't be surprised to see the same eleven as Saturday (with Tuanzebe for Hause if the latter is injured).

Got a hospitality ticket from a match sponsor for this one, with free beer (positive) but in the home end (negative) so hopefully I can control myself when we hit another late winner :) 

Prediction 1-2 UTV

• Like 1