Cup final two of eight : pre chat the return of fistface

Demitri_C

On 31/03/2019 at 22:48, Junxs said:

A lots being made of Bruce not losing a game yet, but theyve only played 2 team in the top 10 of the table since he took over (won neither)

In fact hes only won 4 from 11, thats a 36% win record playing mostly teams in the bottom half - yes its a decent start for him, but not as good as it's being made out to be by the media.

I’m getting deja vous 🤔

Bruce will set up to not get beaten, and I think that will play into our hands. We will have all the possession and I would think the majority of the chances. The question is can we take those chances. The keeper Westwood has been in cracking form recently so finishing is going to have to be good to get past him. 

Also, SB will be well organised from set plays and will no doubt target the likes of Taylor and Hause. Expect long balls from the back landing on Taylor, SB will put someone who can head the ball at RM. 

I don't see anything other than another win. 

I was happy to see Bruce go when he did because it clearly wasn't working, but he did a decent job for us. The football wasn't great admittedly, but we finished 4th in his only full season here and were one game from going up. Yes we were poor in the final, yes we probably should have finished top 2 with the squad we had, but ultimately that was the first time Villa had been competitive again (albeit in the second tier) since the O'Neill days. Bruce also signed us Abraham, Tuanzebe, El Ghazi and McGinn in the summer and in the main his signings were decent I think. 

I hope he gets respect from the Villa fans, but I want our football to do the talking and to put in a really good performance where we play them off the park. I think we're capable of doing it the way we've been playing. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

They are unbeaten so far under Bruce

Familiar look to it too.  Played 11, won 5 drew 6.  Unbeaten and still managing less than 2 points per game.  And if one was to try and stick the knife in further (perish the thought), in those 11 games Sheffield Wednesday have had the easiest schedule in the entire league.  But yes, strictly speaking, you're not wrong.

EDIT : Slight correction for a re-scheduled game.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Familiar look to it too.  Played 10, won 4 drew 6.  Unbeaten and still managing less than 2 points per game.  And if one was to try and stick the knife in further (perish the thought), in those 10 games Sheffield Wednesday have had the (joint) easiest schedule in the entire league.  But yes, strictly speaking, you're not wrong.

Draws are no good to us. We probably need to win close to every single game for the rest of the season to remain inside the top 6

Just now, villalad21 said:

Draws are no good to us. We probably need to win close to every single game for the rest of the season to remain inside the top 6

Eh yes, I was referring to Bruce's record at Sheff Wednesday.

49 minutes ago, BOF said:

Familiar look to it too.  Played 11, won 5 drew 6.  Unbeaten and still managing less than 2 points per game.

1.91 points per game isn't too far off 2 points per game to be fair ;) and would work out at approx 88 points over a 46 game season.Easily enough for automatic promotion this year

Only Norwich have 2 or more points per game this season

Edited by LakotaDakota

4 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

1.91 points per game isn't too far off 2 points per game to be fair ;) and would work out at approx 88 points over a 46 game season.

Only Norwich have 2 or more points per game this season

Yes that's over 39 games.  It's much easier to achieve 2ppg during a mini-honeymoon run, which they're also not doing.  This is the absolute best they'll do, and they're still not hitting heights, and his penchant for draws is getting them.  Put it this way, Sheff Wed during their Steve Bruce 11 game unbeaten honeymoon run are 6th in the table (we're 5th and it's not our honeymoon).

17 minutes ago, BOF said:

Yes that's over 39 games.  It's much easier to achieve 2ppg during a mini-honeymoon run, which they're also not doing.  This is the absolute best they'll do, and they're still not hitting heights, and his penchant for draws is getting them.  Put it this way, Sheff Wed during their Steve Bruce 11 game unbeaten honeymoon run are 6th in the table (we're 5th and it's not our honeymoon).

They had 35 points from 28 games (1.25ppg) with a -12 GD when he took over so they are definitely better than they were i guess. It will more than likely be a tough slog of a game but we will get chances. Just need to hope someone has their shooting boots on this week. 1-0 win with the ball bouncing off someones arse will do

59 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

1-0 win with the ball bouncing off someones arse will do

Not for me.  Drunk Brian backed Villa -1.  So 2 goals off the arse please :thumb:

• Like 1

This is the toughest of our next 5 fixtures. If we could win this then its rotherham and Bolton away and Bristol city and millwall at home. 13 points out of that lot would be great. 

Really looking forward to this one, not yet been to Hillsborough so a new ground for me as well.

Would go with the below team, don't think it need's changing from the weekend. If we can nick an early goal it would take the pressure off and then allow us to take the game to them. If Bruce sets them up to sit back as he usually does we should easily have enough to break them down over the course of 90 minutes.

Steer

Elmo  Hause   Mings   Taylor

Whelan

McGinn   Grealish

El Ghazi   Abraham   Green