New Music 2019

Xann

12 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

kinggizzard_infest.jpeg

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Infest the Rats' Nest

(I like them evoking the spirit of early Slayer on some tracks 😁)

Awesome awesome band! They can certainly mix up the way they sound and already amassed a pretty big back catalogue. 

Personal fave is the Quarters album.

btw - thanks for the Nothing suggestion a page or so back. Great stuff! 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Would not have put this as your sort of thing?

It's not really.

I sit in my cloud and listen to all sorts of stuff.

Then chat with people in other clouds about music.

With so much niche retro music going on, picking out the sound of now isn't quite as straightforward as it used to be.

A lot of new is old.

47 minutes ago, blandy said:

... that one Dave posted was shite 😋

Shut it, you white boy, Indie saddo :D

• Haha 2

On 16/08/2019 at 14:20, villa4europe said:

not tracking over the oasis debate...Liam Gallagher's released the 4th song from his new album, one of us

I really liked his 1st album, felt like he had has place, beady eye was a bit shit, noel is hit and miss, not much good new stuff about, Liam did about as well as he possibly could, saw him twice on the tour, big show at old Trafford (that wasn't his fault but was shit, horrible venue) and acoustic at the union chapel (which was incredible) saw as you were, loved it, watched the new interviews, don't mind them (noels recent interviews are better) then the new music started coming out...

it feels tired, its a mixture of veiled and not so veiled pops at noel which is shit and then whereas the 1st album for me he got away with it this time the writing team is overly playing to his voice, giving him too much "shiiiiiiiiiiine" bollocks, even once which opens really really well then runs out of ideas and ends badly, one of us is boring, its too Liam playing to his crowd for its own good, might change my mind when the complete album comes out but at the moment its really not grabbing me

the disappointing thing is the latest couple of setlists look a bit tired too, even the MTV acoustic show in Hull didn't look great (hope that gets a release though, I like the idea of MTV unplugged coming back) roll on February when the new tour comes to town 

It will be great to hear his attempt at Sad Song, assuming MTV don't cut it.  As for the songs off the new album, I've liked all four.  It's a difficult balance for him not being much of a songwriter, he'd probably have to wait another 5 years before he has half an album's worth of material as good as As You Were so he has to get people to help out, which then results in slightly soulless pop-rock.  As long as he keeps releasing stuff so he can go on tour I'll take it.

5 hours ago, Designer1 said:

kinggizzard_infest.jpeg

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Infest the Rats' Nest

(I like them evoking the spirit of early Slayer on some tracks 😁)

I listened to it at the weekend and they are a band I have a number of albums by (Inc a couple of valuable early albums)

Thought it was a bit shite tbh, the Gizzard try to be Thee Oh Sees was my take on it. 

20 hours ago, cyrusr said:

Anyway, the collaboration album between Pijn & Conjurer "Curse These Metal Hands" was released last week and its a cracker: 

Sounding like early Baroness/Mastodon, it is rather... 

This has also lead to possibly my most favourite band tee.

No photo description available.No photo description available.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Knew they were midlands but didn’t know they were Villa? How do you know that?

They said it on a podcast I used to listen to and there are occasionally little clues on Twitter. 

From Rugby or thereabouts. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ChrisVillan said:

They said it on a podcast I used to listen to and there are occasionally little clues on Twitter. 

From Rugby or thereabouts. 

Even more reason for everyone to listen to them then! Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Crushing. The last two minutes are almost Whitehouse-esque.

Spoiler

Earphones and high volume required, embrace tinnitus. 

Album out yesterday. Can't think of any other albums out yesterday, so that's probably the best one for 30/08/19 🤭

Black Futures' "Never Not Nothing"

Image result for never not nothing

Were the secret act at the inaugural Radar festival in Guildford last month, and (with maybe the exception of Rolo Tomassi) the best show of the weekend (more than anything as a welcome break from the 5th consecutive growly djent act, hoping the line-up is a bit more diverse for Radar #2). 

Live they were somewhere between NIN, Devo, Ministry and that bit at the end of Return Of The Jedi where the Ewoks are having a party (though it does lose a wee bit of that sense of fun on record sadly).

Â