Christchurch terror attack

Chindie

9 minutes ago, coda said:

Another repulsive attack. The perpetrator sounds like a strange mix of infantile memes and mass murder. The streaming of it and letting his little online clique know beforehand, it's so modern and disturbing.

That's the thing, they're not infantile memes. Their whole purpose is to attract young people and put a whole veneer of 'it's just for the lulz' over an insidious ideology.

• Like 3

Before you all get too depressed about the modern world, bear in mind that this is all a spit in a bucket compared to 17th Century Europe, where the religiously sectarian Thirty Years War resulted in at least eight million deaths. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yep, and the Spanish in Central America, european settlers and early U.S. over in the States. Victorian anarchists. 

Khmer Rouge when I was younger, they were unpleasant on a big scale. Smaller scale, there were pub bombings and the IRA and nail bombs in gay pubs. Mau Mau rebellion. Red Army Faction. ETA. 

It is not unprecedented, from killing millions to killing dozens there's nothing new.

Just better quality pictures.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mottaloo said:

I watched a short video clip of his live stream and really wished i hadn't (serves me right). 

This is appalling. Black, brown or white....slaughter is slaughter. A soft target, a place of worship. What next ? A revenge attack on a church/synagogue/other public gathering ? Probably. That's what this piece of filth doesn't realise. "Doing his bit for the Christian white folk ?" Not in my name but sadly there are going to be plenty of those who are thinking "yeah, see how you lot like it !".

I'm fairly effing depressed about it.

This was my thought too. It’ll add fuel to those plotting a revenge attack... and we go round again and again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peterms said:

If you look at the white nationalist community of the American South over a long period of time, your list would be pretty accurate, recognising that you would need to substitute "lunchings" for "beheading", that chemical weapons as we know them hadn't yet been devised, and that an equivalent Christian term for "Caliphate" would be required.

There is a direct line of descent from the people who did these things, their ideology, and the white supremacist ideology now in play.

I don't think you can compare giving victims afternoon tea with a beheading  :) 

but  typo fun apart , I suppose in answer to the more serious point  you could take my last statement and amend it to

the right wing nutters haven't re -regressed to that level ...yet

Edited by tonyh29

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I don't think you can compare giving victims afternoon tea with a beheading  :) 

but  type fun apart , I suppose in answer to the more serious point  you could take my last statement and amend it to

the right wing nutters haven't re -regressed to that level ...yet

Well, they're not living in war-torn regions for starters so of course the scale would be different, but the ideologies are almost identical.

36 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Yeah, absolutely.

Welcome to HitlerTalk...

🙄

Willkommen Zu Hitlersprechen

where the vegans and vegetarians will be last up against the wall

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I see he says the reason for the murders was to show the "invaders" that they can't conquer "our lands" and replace "our people".

And he was born in Australia to parents of "English, Irish and Scottish stock".

That would be the same Australia which the English, Irish and Scots invaded, conquering the land and displacing the people living there.

Everybody should sod off back to the now dead stars where their atoms were forged .

Let the dolphins have it.

• Like 3

I see he says the reason for the murders was to show the "invaders" that they can't conquer "our lands" and replace "our people".

And he was born in Australia to parents of "English, Irish and Scottish stock".

That would be the same Australia which the English, Irish and Scots invaded, conquering the land and displacing the people living there.

Not to mention that he's an Australian, shooting people in New Zealand.

Shocking, dreadful news.  New Zealand would have been one of the last places in the world I'd have imagined something like this happening.

Absolutely horrific. I’m sure you’ll have some idiots thinking it’s a good thing. Three blokes down my yard were celebrating it. Celebrating innocent people getting killed eh. To the people that done this, you have more blood on your hands than you think. I **** hate the human race at times. 

• Like 1

I've been to New Zealand a fair few years ago now, but I found it a rather racist (and sexist) place to be blunt. Not openly. But it's right under the surface.

The Maori had deep rooted issues with the settlers, The white people were often appalling in their treatment/opinions on Asians and Everyone seemed to make a scapegoat of the Bangladeshi's was my opinion on how it appeared when I left.

Not that it isn't also populated by some of the most lovely people I've ever met, but it's not all Sheep Farming and Bungee Jumping.

Â