• El Ghazi
    • Abraham
    • Adomah (El Ghazi 64)
    • Kodjia (Abraham 72)
    • Whelan (Grealish 86)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/03/19 at 23:59

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Very dirty, scrappy game. Not an amazing performance, but a very comfortable win. 3-1 flattered Forest.

I wrote us off weeks ago, and suddenly we're 2 points off the playoffs. Interesting. 

Honorable mention for Lolley, who's the only Forest player that isn't shit. 

21 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

" weeks ago we thought the season was over and Dean's head to roll

Now the garden is coming up Roses

Get in

Totally agree with you both, as had I.

It's amazing what an important asset Jack Grealish is to us and what a lift he brings to everyone and how we just 'click' when he is in the team.

3 amazing results since his return.

Nice to see opposition fans also acknowledging how good we look as villabromsgrove states below - but this wasn't the case 6/7 games ago

43 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I've just spent an interesting twenty minutes reading both the Forest and Middlesborough fan forums.

The consensus of opinion from Forest fans was that Villa were different class. One fan said we were the best away team he's watched this season. Another was mystified why we are not higher up the league. Most thought that we had a top squad and first eleven.

Middlesborough fans absolutely hate Pulis, and are dreading facing Villa on Saturday. They're currently fifth but don't think they've got a chance of making the play offs.

It's good to get different perspectives.

UP THE VILLA !!!!!!

Nice to see that we look to be back in the driving seat for the play-offs once again.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

Mings giving us solidarity at the back and Grealishs ability to keep the ball make us a potent force.A win on Saturday would put us in a very strong position but we have been here before and we must not get carried away.Forest looked poor .

As regards MON he spent huge sums on some very good players and also spent huge sums on some very average players with long contracts which when Lerner decided he couldn't fund ended up with us in the Championship.

• Like 1

Looking forward to Saturday now, didn't think this was possible 2wks ago, what a difference a settled defence looks! We really do seem to have a solid pair of centre backs working well, gotta sign these monsters!!! Grealish coming back is the icing on the cake.  UTV!!!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

That Forest team stunk of O'Neill. No answer to our football.

Fantastic win.

Christ, Lolley is dangerous.

Just as we were leading up to Xmas, we're the best team in the league.

Someone I think we really need to look at bringing in. 

• Like 1

Having a competitive midfield makes a huge difference. A few weeks ago the midfield was selecting itself due to lack of bodies, now Smith is having to leave a few out and that sends the message that unless you are 100% on top of your game you may not get a start. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Londonastonvilla said:

Mings giving us solidarity at the back and Grealishs ability to keep the ball make us a potent force.A win on Saturday would put us in a very strong position but we have been here before and we must not get carried away.Forest looked poor .

8ae.gif

• Like 1

Great win last night. As much as I think Abraham is a quality player, I thought he had a stinker last night. His hold up play needs to improve if he wants to make it as a good striker in the PL.

A few observations individually.

The usual suspects played well - Grealish, Mings, McGinn.

Hause is playing exactly as my Wolves supporting friend said he would. Decent, strong and reads the game well but has an error in him. I like him, but he does make me nervous on the ball. Perhaps more of a left back? Not sure, but he’s done well since joining.

Neil Taylor was excellent last night. I don’t rate him, I want him gone, but credit where credit is due, thought he was terrific and deserves to keep his place in the team for now.

Green. Probably his best showing in a Villa shirt and you can see he is a skilful player. He still has to do more, but for the first time probably ever, I think he *may* have a future here.

Steer. I do wonder where we’d be now if he had played in place of Nyland from the start...

UTV

• Like 1

A fantastic result and performance. It didn’t feel that comfortable to watch live but I’ve just rewatched the highlights and forest didn’t have a single decent chance apart from the flukey goal, so we breezed it in reality. 

The back 4 look really settled and special mention for Neil Taylor who is showing shades of his early Swansea form now. Dean will have a selection headache when Axel is fit again!

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Great win last night. As much as I think Abraham is a quality player, I thought he had a stinker last night. His hold up play needs to improve if he wants to make it as a good striker in the PL.

A few observations individually.

The usual suspects played well - Grealish, Mings, McGinn.

Hause is playing exactly as my Wolves supporting friend said he would. Decent, strong and reads the game well but has an error in him. I like him, but he does make me nervous on the ball. Perhaps more of a left back? Not sure, but he’s done well since joining.

Neil Taylor was excellent last night. I don’t rate him, I want him gone, but credit where credit is due, thought he was terrific and deserves to keep his place in the team for now.

Green. Probably his best showing in a Villa shirt and you can see he is a skilful player. He still has to do more, but for the first time probably ever, I think he *may* have a future here.

Steer. I do wonder where we’d be now if he had played in place of Nyland from the start...

UTV

Agree with all this. I think we just have to accept that Bricksh#t does have an error per game in him. But hopefully they won't prove too costly if Mings is in the general vicinity

12 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

I've just spent an interesting twenty minutes reading both the Forest and Middlesborough fan forums.

The consensus of opinion from Forest fans was that Villa were different class. One fan said we were the best away team he's watched this season. Another was mystified why we are not higher up the league. Most thought that we had a top squad and first eleven.

Middlesborough fans absolutely hate Pulis, and are dreading facing Villa on Saturday. They're currently fifth but don't think they've got a chance of making the play offs.

It's good to get different perspectives.

UP THE VILLA !!!!!!

very interesting.

The tricky bit is getting all 11 players fired up and functioning.....had Mings and Hause been with us all season, I think we would have been up there.

Unfortunately, we have to rely on top of the table performances from too few of our players to sustain a challenge, hence the comments of "we should be up there".......currently with our players back and Mings & Hause settled in, we look more like the TEAM we thought we was.

I think the top of the table teams particularly those in the play off positions, will be very concerned with our recent returning players and current form.

I think we could still do with better work from the flanks,( they need to show more aggression) but we do have players who can cause teams harm.

Edited by TRO

Absolutely buzzing with last night's result, which was thoroughly deserved as the Forest goal came from a cross (no way the little ginge meant that one) and I think Steer only had a couple of routine saves during the course of the match.

Us on the other hand had several good chances,  aside from the goals.

Tammy should have scored on a couple of occasions, one header wide he should have hit the target and then bringing a fine save out of Pantilimon. Kodjia and McGinn were both unlucky late on too.

I was never fully comfortable watching the game, even with a 2-goal lead, but that was as much to do with the previous game at VP as opposed to how this game was going. We have been involved in lots of games with late drama and i feared the worst when the official held up 7 minutes stoppage time, but i needn't have worried.

McGinn MOTM for me, goals win games and his two put us in a great position, his work rate was second to none as well, but we know that's always a given. The whole defence played well, marshalled extremely well by Mings - What a difference he has made?!

I still feel that our wide players need to do more, at times they get out muscled easily, or give the ball away cheaply , though that said Green showed little glimpses that there is a player in there somewhere - if we got them fully firing then I would fancy us to get a play-off spot & promotion. 

As for the gaffer; I thought the team selection and the substitutions were the right choices at the right times, so great night all round - Roll on Saturday!

• Like 4

Another great result.......well done.

I think the last few games show how important Grealish is to  the side in so many ways. This guy Mings you have brought in is also stabilising the defense so the play off push is back on big time  👍

I also think with Grealish back in, it  is helping your other midfielders especially McGinn as the opposition target Jack to stop him playing allowing the others more space and time.

• Like 3

Â