Villa Kit 2019-20

AvfcRigo82

7 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

which is what? to sell pencil sharpeners?

To be instantly recognisable, to be memorable, to be flexible enough to work across different media.

It's not my speciality, I'm a web designer but I sometimes have to follow brand guidelines, and occasionally clients want a logo designing. 

You might not like it, but Logo/Brand design is big business, having a professional brand/logo gives you an edge against somebody who doesn't, it's one of the most important tools in marketing. In global football right now being able to market yourself in new markets is very important.

FWIW I don't think our crest is going to change any time soon, but you never know.

Edited by Teale's 'tache
missed a word
  • Like 1

Just now, Teale's 'tache said:

To be instantly recognisable, to be memorable, to be flexible enough to work across different media.

It's not my speciality, I'm a web designer but I sometimes have to follow brand guidelines, and occasionally clients want a logo designing. 

You might not like it, but Logo/Brand design is big business, having a professional brand/logo gives you edge against somebody who doesn't, it's one of the most important tools in marketing. In global football right now being able to market yourself in new markets is very important.

FWIW I don't think our crest is going to change any time soon, but you never know.

Like I said it's been done to death. @NurembergVillan has always made similar points IIRC, coming from the design/manufacturing side of things. It's one of those where your POV is not wrong, but it's also not about people that hold a different view 'not getting it'.

I'm sure we have a thread on the crest. My in site search ability is not capable of finding it atm.

Just now, VILLAMARV said:

Like I said it's been done to death. @NurembergVillan has always made similar points IIRC, coming from the design/manufacturing side of things. It's one of those where your POV is not wrong, but it's also not about people that hold a different view 'not getting it'.

I'm sure we have a thread on the crest. My in site search ability is not capable of finding it atm.

Sorry, I'm reasonably new here so I don't know what discussions have been had on here before, I'm not really sure how we got on to the crest anyway.

I never said people don't get it, everybody has a different opinion and that's fine, the job of a designer is not to change somebodies opinion but to find a compromise that works. Somebody asked for my technical opinion and I gave it, I don't expect anybody to change their opinion based on that, and nor would I want them to.

34 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Firstly, this doesn't scale down very well, having the text not straight but lining in a circle means it jumps around as you resize it down, also as it gets smaller you wouldn't be able to make out the details of the lion, it would become a bit of a splodge(technical term 😉). So for example, imagine you want to put this crest on something as small as a zipper on a coat, you wouldn't be able to make out any of the important details.

In the current badge the AVFC is straight and larger so legible at a small size, and the lion is also bigger so the details can be made out at a smaller size than the one above.

I'd also put forward that the yellow line against the sky blue background doesn't sit well, especially on a digital screen, the colours end up bleeding in to each other.

It looks nice, but that's only half of a designers job, it also has to work practically.

One of the posts above is correct though, if you look at some of the other clubs they don't play by these rules either, Sunderland being an example, that crest is no good for being part of a brand, it's way too detailed and out of date.

Sure, and again, I get that :)

But it could be made easier - lion could be simplified, along the lines of this:

Image result for aston villa retro lion

The yellow line inside could be different and the details that are such a nightmare for designers could be worked on. 

You could even take the current lion, stick it in a round badge, put a star next to it and write Aston Villa under it. 

But for the love of God - this is what the people want as an Aston Villa Crest!

4 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Sure, and again, I get that :)

But it could be made easier - lion could be simplified, along the lines of this:

Image result for aston villa retro lion

The yellow line inside could be different and the details that are such a nightmare for designers could be worked on. 

You could even take the current lion, stick it in a round badge, put a star next to it and write Aston Villa under it. 

I didn't say a round crest was impossible. Some clubs have incredibly detailed crests that don't work for a brand, I just gave some technical reasons why we might not be following that kind of design currently.

3 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Sorry, I'm reasonably new here so I don't know what discussions have been had on here before, I'm not really sure how we got on to the crest anyway.

No apologies necessary I'm not trying to stop people discussing stuff in a chat room. Sorry if it came across as such.

3 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I never said people don't get it, everybody has a different opinion and that's fine, the job of a designer is not to change somebodies opinion but to find a compromise that works. Somebody asked for my technical opinion and I gave it, I don't expect anybody to change their opinion based on that, and nor would I want them to.

As has been a bit laboured maybe, we get all that. No one's knocking the designers or their reasoning. But the people making the decisions make the decisions.

Anyway, found it I think

most people's opinions on it are laid out in there IIRC.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DJ_Villain said:

Really excited to see the new kits. Kappa are arguably my favourite sports brand... Usually nice, striking, eyecatching designs and vibrant colours...

Waaaaaay too positive for this forum ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I really don't like the round badges. Never have. Harking back to former glories. Let's make some new glories..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, limpid said:

I really don't like the round badges. Never have. Harking back to former glories. Let's make some new glories..

Yeah, that claret and blue's a bit old hat, too. Let's have a fresh start and play in red. 

8 minutes ago, limpid said:

The yearly complaint about the badge AGAIN. Every time the new kits are upon us, people whine about the badge.

It's fine. And is a LOT more traditional than a round badge as far as Villa are concerned. In our history, we've had a circular badge for 19 years. We've had 'shields' for at least 110 years. TRADITION dictates it should be a shield. 

I have some slight preferences and tweaks I like the idea of but it's basically fine. The round badge calls are largely from 40-50 year olds clamouring for the past and the retro vibe that the world is currently gripped by. If we went round it'd be about a decade before the next generation wanted the shields back because they remind them of Villa in their youth. 

Also we can't 'reuse' old badges without major changes as we would have lost copyright.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jackbauer24 said:

The yearly complaint about the badge AGAIN. Every time the new kits are upon us, people whine about the badge.

It's fine. And is a LOT more traditional than a round badge as far as Villa are concerned. In our history, we've had a circular badge for 19 years. We've had 'shields' for at least 110 years. TRADITION dictates it should be a shield. 

I have some slight preferences and tweaks I like the idea of but it's basically fine. The round badge calls are largely from 40-50 year olds clamouring for the past and the retro vibe that the world is currently gripped by. If we went round it'd be about a decade before the next generation wanted the shields back because they remind them of Villa in their youth. 

Also we can't 'reuse' old badges without major changes as we would have lost copyright.

Booooo! 

• Haha 2

Our badge is just so recognizable. Wouldn't be able to say the same with the old round badges (looks a lot like Chelsea and a few other clubs). I love it for that reason alone.

I'd be walking the street in a Villa away kit from like 10 years ago that doesn't bear the traditional Villa colours at all, and people with even just a passing interest in the PL since then know it's Villa even though we've been absent from the public consciousness for 3 years.

6 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I wonder when this fascination with hating our badge will fizzle out?

It seems that unless we go back to the circular badge from the 80s, there will always be a section of fans that have issues with it. No matter what it looks like.

I like our badge. I can see why people would prefer the circular one, because that one's as sexy as it gets, and it represents a bloody successful time. But even looking from those people's points of view, I don't see what's wrong with the current one. It's fine. Looks good. It's not ugly.

It doesn't look anything like an MLS Philadelphia Bang Bang Cowboy Warriors type badge. It's also way better than a lot of British clubs' badges out there. Everton with their walnut whip ffs? Leeds with that monster of a badge a couple of years ago? Watford have a bloody moose on theirs, West Ham have a couple of daft hammers and Bournemouth's looks like a chap from Moana doing some Ronaldinho tricks  :crylaugh: I could go on.

There are loads of terrible badges out there, but ours isn't one of them. 

IMHO, of course. :rolleyes:

I wish I'd never said anything now😂

• Haha 1

I'm hoping for a triangular shaped badge with a half oval at the apex. 

Not because I want it, just because it would piss off all the round badge and shield badge brigade who would join together and be happy because it would be so ridiculous. 

dj khaled love GIF

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm hoping for a triangular shaped badge with a half oval at the apex. 

Not because I want it, just because it would piss off all the round badge and shield badge brigade who would join together and be happy because it would be so ridiculous. 

dj khaled love GIF

Yeah, but what about the people's front of the square badge? 

• Haha 1

Â