Villa Kit 2019-20

AvfcRigo82

33 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

The price they charge for clothing these days they bloody well better be sewn on! 

I am sure they will be, Leeds gear was sewn on last year.  Jack is either wearing a sample or a player issue track top!

1 minute ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I promise you I do have a job and I do actually do some work sometimes... but... this is fun!

iaq50FR.jpg

The black one and this latest white one are beautiful mate.  Really good efforts.   Almost disappoints me when the real shirts get released because mock ups like these are better.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lexicon said:

It's hard to work with such a crappy logo. I imagine that's actually nicer than we'll get too because you've kept the kappa logo to a minimum, whereas I'm anticipating it to be plastered all over the sides of the kit.

Kappa are well known for the repeating logo pattern, but they have done some kits recently where the logo is less prominent, see Leeds kit last year.

From what I've read on here Fanatics will actually be putting together the designs and Kappa will be signing them off, they may demand the logo be more prominent but fingers crossed they won't.

There will be separate guidelines for how the Kappa, W88 and our crest are allowed to be used so there are going to be some restrictions, I don't know what these guidelines are so it's easier for me to come up with something nice, it's going to be more difficult for the actual designers.

Edited by Teale's 'tache
Spelling

4 hours ago, Uncle Albert said:

I think our badge is dreadful, looks so cheap, kind of badge a newly found mls team would have. 

I wonder when this fascination with hating our badge will fizzle out?

It seems that unless we go back to the circular badge from the 80s, there will always be a section of fans that have issues with it. No matter what it looks like.

I like our badge. I can see why people would prefer the circular one, because that one's as sexy as it gets, and it represents a bloody successful time. But even looking from those people's points of view, I don't see what's wrong with the current one. It's fine. Looks good. It's not ugly.

It doesn't look anything like an MLS Philadelphia Bang Bang Cowboy Warriors type badge. It's also way better than a lot of British clubs' badges out there. Everton with their walnut whip ffs? Leeds with that monster of a badge a couple of years ago? Watford have a bloody moose on theirs, West Ham have a couple of daft hammers and Bournemouth's looks like a chap from Moana doing some Ronaldinho tricks  :crylaugh: I could go on.

There are loads of terrible badges out there, but ours isn't one of them. 

IMHO, of course. :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I look at other clubs when they modernize their badge and don't see how we would return to the 80s round badge, seems against all these trends and reasonings that everyone else is following

im still pissed off about the star though, should be on the top

As a designer who has on occasion had to design logos, I think our crest is fine.

It's not amazing, it's not terrible.

Changing it will be a headache though, when you consider how much it is used, how many sizes it is used in, how many different colours it might sit on, it's an incredibly difficult design.

Even once you have a design in place it's a mammoth task to go around updating everything. Not to mention the number of people that will be peeved that any recent merchandise they've purchased is instantly out of date because of the change.

In logo design, in general it's best to really simplify things down, it makes it easier to use at small sizes, easier to re-colour, easier to recognise at a glance. Look at Juventus' recent update, simple but effective that's the key. It sounds easy, but believe me it is not!

That's why we reduced our name down to AVFC on the crest and lost the 'prepared' part, it was simplifying it down.

I wouldn't be a logo only designer by trade, it's incredibly tough.

I could have a go at doing us a new crest if people wanted though?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teale's 'tache said:

As a designer who has on occasion had to design logos, I think our crest is fine.

It's not amazing, it's not terrible.

Changing it will be a headache though, when you consider how much it is used, how many sizes it is used in, how many different colours it might sit on, it's an incredibly difficult design.

Even once you have a design in place it's a mammoth task to go around updating everything. Not to mention the number of people that will be peeved that any recent merchandise they've purchased is instantly out of date because of the change.

In logo design, in general it's best to really simplify things down, it makes it easier to use at small sizes, easier to re-colour, easier to recognise at a glance. Look at Juventus' recent update, simple but effective that's the key. It sounds easy, but believe me it is not!

That's why we reduced our name down to AVFC on the crest and lost the 'prepared' part, it was simplifying it down.

I wouldn't be a logo only designer by trade, it's incredibly tough.

I could have a go at doing us a new crest if people wanted though?

And I think this is the issue - you are a professional and are looking at it from the industry point of view. You mentioned merchandising, simplifying, using different colours. I'm sure there are a million things fans are not aware of when it comes to these, it must be a hell of a job.

I get that, but majority of the fans simply want a round shape crest that looks something along the lines of this:

Image result for aston villa round badge

What is so hard about that?

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

I wonder when this fascination with hating our badge will fizzle out?

It seems that unless we go back to the circular badge from the 80s, there will always be a section of fans that have issues with it. No matter what it looks like.

I like our badge. I can see why people would prefer the circular one, because that one's as sexy as it gets, and it represents a bloody successful time. But even looking from those people's points of view, I don't see what's wrong with the current one. It's fine. Looks good. It's not ugly.

It doesn't look anything like an MLS Philadelphia Bang Bang Cowboy Warriors type badge. It's also way better than a lot of British clubs' badges out there. Everton with their walnut whip ffs? Leeds with that monster of a badge a couple of years ago? Watford have a bloody moose on theirs, West Ham have a couple of daft hammers and Bournemouth's looks like a chap from Moana doing some Ronaldinho tricks  :crylaugh: I could go on.

There are loads of terrible badges out there, but ours isn't one of them. 

IMHO, of course. :rolleyes:

I say it every year in these threads, since they made the little tweaks to our badge it's far far better. They may have been small things, but stuff like making the lion bigger, taking the extra writing off and giving it a white outline has made it look far cleaner.

When it's on a kit with that proper 3D raised effect it looks pretty nice

Is it an amazing crest? Nope

Would I change it in an ideal world? Yeah probably

But I don't think it's a huge issue. And it certainly isn't as bad as it used to be or as people like to make out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

And I think this is the issue - you are a professional and are looking at it from the industry point of view. You mentioned merchandising, simplifying, using different colours. I'm sure there are a million things fans are not aware of when it comes to these, it must be a hell of a job.

I get that, but majority of the fans simply want a round shape crest that looks something along the lines of this:

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Firstly, this doesn't scale down very well, having the text not straight but lining in a circle means it jumps around as you resize it down, also as it gets smaller you wouldn't be able to make out the details of the lion, it would become a bit of a splodge(technical term 😉). So for example, imagine you want to put this crest on something as small as a zipper on a coat, you wouldn't be able to make out any of the important details.

In the current badge the AVFC is straight and larger so legible at a small size, and the lion is also bigger so the details can be made out at a smaller size than the one above.

I'd also put forward that the yellow line against the sky blue background doesn't sit well, especially on a digital screen, the colours end up bleeding in to each other.

It looks nice, but that's only half of a designers job, it also has to work practically.

One of the posts above is correct though, if you look at some of the other clubs they don't play by these rules either, Sunderland being an example, that crest is no good for being part of a brand, it's way too detailed and out of date.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Teale's 'tache said:

crest

Yes please.

Round please.

@pablopicasso made one on here when Randy took over and it was miles better than the one we ended up with. 

Current one is a real honker, horrible. Don't mind "prepared" but when it was on the last version it was a different font on the same background looked like it was made on clipart.

7 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Firstly, this doesn't scale down very well, having the text not straight but lining in a circle means it jumps around as you resize it down, also as it gets smaller you wouldn't be able to make out the details of the lion, it would become a bit of a splodge(technical term 😉). So for example, imagine you want to put this crest on something as small as a zipper on a coat, you wouldn't be able to make out any of the important details.

In the current badge the AVFC is straight and larger so legible at a small size, and the lion is also bigger so the details can be made out at a smaller size than the one above.

I'd also put forward that the yellow line against the sky blue background doesn't sit well, especially on a digital screen, the colours end up bleeding in to each other.

It looks nice, but that's only half of a designers job, it also has to work practically.

One of the posts above is correct though, if you look at some of the other clubs they don't play by these rules either, Sunderland being an example, that crest is no good for being part of a brand, it's way too detailed and out of date.

Bit like this?

Bildresultat för luke 77 logo

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Bit like this?

Bildresultat för luke 77 logo

Yep, in my opinion this not a good logo for a brand to have. But that is just my opinion, where logo's/crests are concerned you are never going to make everyone happy, everybody seems to have a strong opinion on them and all you can do is try to please as many as you can whilst creating something that can actually function for it's intended use.

Edited by Teale's 'tache
Spelling
  • Like 1

Â