Bratislava

Demitri_C

Going vienna next week with the Mrs and am going to do the day trip to Bratislava (seems long enough as looks quite small) 

Had a look and old town seems  to have a few things to do but other than that is there anything else to do or see? 

Edited by Demitri_C

We did a day trip from Vienna as well.

Unfortunately it was pouring down on the day we went so we didn't make it to the Castle but I've heard it's worth doing.

The UFO Bridge was ok, nothing to write home about. Probably worth it for the sights.

27 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

We did a day trip from Vienna as well.

Unfortunately it was pouring down on the day we went so we didn't make it to the Castle but I've heard it's worth doing.

The UFO Bridge was ok, nothing to write home about. Probably worth it for the sights.

Was there  much to do in the old town? 

Also I know this sounds like a stupid question but did you need to take your passport? 

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Was there  much to do in the old town? 

Also I know this sounds like a stupid question but did you need to take your passport? 

No not really. We went in September so also outside of the Summer season. It's worth a day trip at the least as the train journey doesn't take long.

We took passports with us but didn't need them. I think they are checked on the rare occasion.

Old Town is nice but not anything special, can see in 20 minutes. UFO tower is good, can see 3 countries at once. Didnt go to the castle

Think is a free walking tour which friends said was good

I’m sure it’s changed a lot since the Wild West days when I went there in the 90’s , but It’s the only country in the world (out of about 116 I’ve been to ) that I’ve had a problem in

got done by corrupt cops who took money from us , they spotted the Austrian number plate on the car making us targets for a shakedown  (only time it’s ever happened to me )  , had my credit card cloned by the petrol station ( one and only time )and was verbally abused and nearly attacked in Mcdonalds  for being a foreigner ( he was your typical all mouth no trousers type so I think the attack threat was very small tbf   ) .. even the hotel tried to charge us twice and our room got broken into whilst we were out( one and only time it’s happened to me )  , most likely by the receptionist but I can’t say for 100%

that said , a few days later when coming back through we stayed at a small hotel on the outskirts ( had no desire to go back to the capital and there was a wedding reception going on and the couple invited us to join them for eating and drinking and partying as we were the only other guests at the hotel

So , yeah have fun :)

like i say  it was a long time back and I know many people who have been  recently and say it’s a nice place and have no problems , think we just caught it on a bad day in an era where it wasn’t exactly a tourist hot spot 

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/03/2019 at 10:40, tonyh29 said:

I’m sure it’s changed a lot since the Wild West days when I went there in the 90’s , but It’s the only country in the world (out of about 116 I’ve been to ) that I’ve had a problem in

got done by corrupt cops who took money from us , they spotted the Austrian number plate on the car making us targets for a shakedown  (only time it’s ever happened to me )  , had my credit card cloned by the petrol station ( one and only time )and was verbally abused and nearly attacked in Mcdonalds  for being a foreigner ( he was your typical all mouth no trousers type so I think the attack threat was very small tbf   ) .. even the hotel tried to charge us twice and our room got broken into whilst we were out( one and only time it’s happened to me )  , most likely by the receptionist but I can’t say for 100%

that said , a few days later when coming back through we stayed at a small hotel on the outskirts ( had no desire to go back to the capital and there was a wedding reception going on and the couple invited us to join them for eating and drinking and partying as we were the only other guests at the hotel

So , yeah have fun :)

like i say  it was a long time back and I know many people who have been  recently and say it’s a nice place and have no problems , think we just caught it on a bad day in an era where it wasn’t exactly a tourist hot spot 

So did the day trip to Bratislava and have to say you were right big tone about it in terms of size. We did old town wss nice but not really much to see. We did the main things in about 3-4 hours. The ufo bridge was nothing to look at. Castle was nice. 

Loved the food there though. Didn't find the people too bad so I think you just got unlucky. But I owukdsay you can't do more than two days there, there really isn't much to do there. 

Oh and the women are hot 

• Like 1

Â