• El Ghazi
    • Abraham
    • Taylot (Elphick 67)
    • Carroll (Grealish 71)
    • Green (El Ghazi 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/03/19 at 23:59

It was an excellent game, working as a team, good positioning, movement off the ball, players responding to criticism and fans / players harmony restored.. and that worldy from Jack to cap it all off.

BUT.. All this seemed to flow from the return of 1 player, granted he's arguably the best player in the division but it was fundamentally just one player that seemed to unlock all the negativity, the frustration of the fans and the arse flapping of some key players we've had to endure during Jack's absence (Hourihane had a great game, as did Whelan, who kept everything ticking over in the middle of the park and both have had stick lately).

My concern is the psychological impact that losing Jack had on the squad, and what would happen again if he got hacked to bits on Sunday by the Neanderthals at the Sty..  Equally, Jack seems to unify a lot of the apparent "negativity and cliques" that we've heard being alleged based on the remarks of Elphick and others lately. 

The other key learning point for me was seeing Mings and Hause work together as CBs when Elphick went off - having two agile, committed units (albeit both lefties), that were both comfortable on the ball just highlighted to me what we've been missing for a long time - they had the physical attributes and technical abilities to ensure Derby would not get past them, these are the type of defenders we need more of in the Summer.  Which makes me worry about playing Taylor at left-back against the noses, let's hope Elphick's injury isn't as bad as it looked...

Can't complain overall, it's a win that was long overdue, everyone is happy and we still have McGinn to return so we can at least sense some positivity now even if it does look a tad too late for the play-offs (hope I'm wrong about that!).

• Like 4

A very welcome good win. Grealish goal was liquid football.  Hourihane and Whelan bossed the midfield, though they were not pressed for the whole game. Carroll looks like a Smith player straight away, another left footer as well.  You can only beat what is in front of you but I would say that was one of the worst away performances I have seenn since we have been in the championship, and that includes Rotherham. I can't see how Derby can get a top 6 spot playing like that. S

4 hours ago, Pelle said:

I knew Jack was important to us, but not that important. The whole team was at another level today. Brilliant, even though derby were poor. We made them look poor.

Whelan motm for me. Hourihane close second, Hausse 3rd, Jack 4th, Tammy 5th, and then the rest of the team on a close 6th.

And that goal. Wow! I just stood up screaming and couldn't believe my eyes. 2nd to McGinn.

Me too....He seemed to inspire them all.

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

A very welcome good win. Grealish goal was liquid football.  Hourihane and Whelan bossed the midfield, though they were not pressed for the whole game. Carroll looks like a Smith player straight away, another left footer as well.  You can only beat what is in front of you but I would say that was one of the worst away performances I have seenn since we have been in the championship, and that includes Rotherham. I can't see how Derby can get a top 6 spot playing like that. S

I do take your point.....when we can win games, when we are being pressed....I will know we have turned the corned.

3 hours ago, Darth Villa said:

It was an excellent game, working as a team, good positioning, movement off the ball, players responding to criticism and fans / players harmony restored.. and that worldy from Jack to cap it all off.

BUT.. All this seemed to flow from the return of 1 player, granted he's arguably the best player in the division but it was fundamentally just one player that seemed to unlock all the negativity, the frustration of the fans and the arse flapping of some key players we've had to endure during Jack's absence (Hourihane had a great game, as did Whelan, who kept everything ticking over in the middle of the park and both have had stick lately).

My concern is the psychological impact that losing Jack had on the squad, and what would happen again if he got hacked to bits on Sunday by the Neanderthals at the Sty..  Equally, Jack seems to unify a lot of the apparent "negativity and cliques" that we've heard being alleged based on the remarks of Elphick and others lately. 

The other key learning point for me was seeing Mings and Hause work together as CBs when Elphick went off - having two agile, committed units (albeit both lefties), that were both comfortable on the ball just highlighted to me what we've been missing for a long time - they had the physical attributes and technical abilities to ensure Derby would not get past them, these are the type of defenders we need more of in the Summer.  Which makes me worry about playing Taylor at left-back against the noses, let's hope Elphick's injury isn't as bad as it looked...

Can't complain overall, it's a win that was long overdue, everyone is happy and we still have McGinn to return so we can at least sense some positivity now even if it does look a tad too late for the play-offs (hope I'm wrong about that!).

good resume, one I endorse.....Like your point about the CB's.....Have thought it for a long time.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, chappy said:

I was out and missed it all. Need to go out on more Saturday afternoons!

Same. I was busy and only seen the scoreline late on. I've also only watched the highlights just now too.

So, Dean Smith couldn't get a tune out of these players but Jack can?  I say Jack for player manager!      Smith Out!

18 hours ago, TRO said:

Me too....He seemed to inspire them all.

I can't help but think this.

In the highlights I just watched we looked like Brazil with our passing and movement. I thought the uploader had posted the wrong game at first. 

Just such a massive difference like we seemed to look transformed.

If we we're to miraculously make the play-offs this season it will be through guidance and leadership of Jack Grealish - not Dean Smith.

If that is the difference that he makes to this football team then any talk of selling him is crazy.

5 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I can't help but think this.

In the highlights I just watched we looked like Brazil with our passing and movement. I thought the uploader had posted the wrong game at first. 

Just such a massive difference like we seemed to look transformed.

If we we're to miraculously make the play-offs this season it will be through guidance and leadership of Jack Grealish - not Dean Smith.

If that is the difference that he makes to this football team then any talk of selling him is crazy.

I don't want to **** on our chips, but, if we can win when we are playing teams that compete hard against us and we still do the business, I will be happy.

Derby by all accounts played like we have been playing, standing off and failing to compete....its the worst trait in this league.

If we want to get out of this league, burying the likes of Derby and Wolves last season is great.....but its winning against the scrappers that gets you up....We need to add consistency to our game.

Jack is Jack and on form there is no one to touch him in this league....but Mings and Hause are "men for all seasons", they add steel and resilience which is crucial..... every dep't now has a class player in it.....The trick is holding all together as much as is possible and building for next season.

• Like 1

On 03/03/2019 at 11:28, OutByEaster? said:

Incidentally, we now have 61 league goals this season - we got 72 last season and we've got 11 games to go - it's been another very good season of goalscoring.

You are right....but we are not tight enough in defence to go up, or haven't been.

Its winning against teams who want to play ugly and disruptive where we struggle.....Teams who let you play, we will beat them all....unfortunately this league has got very well known for not having technically gifted players so the default, to the basics, if you can't beat them ..stop them.....that's where we struggle and have done for years, under many different managers......sadly teams who press , harry and get in you face with high intensity, negate our talent too easily.....we have to snap out of this and compete.

just as one element......I think the centre Backs have been an issue for us for years....John Terry and James Chester are accomplished CB's.....but I think Mings and Hause are more uncompromising....John in particular was a technician, but more of a sweeper and an organiser for me, James was less dominant in the air.

I think Mings and Hause are starting to create a sold platform, for our players with guile to flourish, shame they are just on loan......Teams are all about the right mix.....just hoping we can get it right for next season.

Â