Pokémon Sword and Shield

Chindie

It's classic style Pokémon. On Switch.

Rumoured for ages, it's the expected 3d entry in the franchise, with new Pokémon again and new environment. 

It's on first glance perhaps not the leap people expected. It appears to literally be a standard Pokémon game, just in 3d. They do say they are challenging themselves to try new things with it but it on the admittedly brief look here, it doesn't seem like much is changing - it seems like it might have some element of stealth when entering the tall grass? Perhaps this is a way of letting you travel through grass without worrying about random battles, or maybe there's an extra layer of difficulty in catching some Pokémon types? Or it's just an animation... The feeling isn't helped when you consider that the additions they made to the series over the years are very much fluff added to an undeniably great foundation.

Still, it's Pokémon. And while they might be getting tired, and the Pokémon designs getting more feeble, the games are fundamentally excellent.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Somewhat on topic… I’m pumped for the new Diamond and Pearl remakes. An updated version of a classic Pokémon game.

Sword and Shield were okay but the huge focus on the Wild area or whatever it was called got boring after a while. I have more fun breaking out the original Pokémon gold on GameBoy color than I did on Sword

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Tayls said:

@Chindie  do you have much of an interest in the trading card game at all? Any experience of collecting or ordering Japanese cards? 

Unfortunately not. One of the geeky things that's completely escaped me thankfully.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I totally thought you’d be all over Pokémon! 

Oh I like the games and have played a lot of the series and rinsed a few of them. But I never really got into the cards. I had a few as a kid when they were first a thing, but I've never got into it beyond that. I know it blew up again over the last few years but I literally know nothing about it.

Â