Forum software update

limpid

Question

On 27/02/2019 at 11:18, bannedfromHandV said:

Screen bounces around all over the place for the first 5-10 seconds of logging in or clicking anything.....which for the impatient ones such as myself represents a problem as you end up clicking on everything except for what you want to click on!!

Clear your cookies and cache.

On 27/02/2019 at 09:32, AVFC_Hitz said:

The old site used to show something like this:

Next Unread Topic:

General Chat

Now we dont know which thread comes next. Is there a way to have this back?

Ah. As I said above, it's because not everyone navigates the site by forum / thread. Some use activity streams and these links make no sense to them.

You'll just have to remember which thread you're in 😆 (or look at the URL at the top of the screen).

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Guess that's the end for Gravatar support. Was fun while it lasted 😢

I didn't see this listed in the changelogs, but it does look like all the options to enable this are no longer present.

• Like 1
Just now, OutByEaster? said:

.WebP files don't display for me.

I'm not sure if that's a new thing, or if it's something to do with the generated gifs vs imported gifs - I do know that I'd never seen it before the upgrade.

Do you have an example? The site doesn't render video or images - that's done in your browser. Have you cleared cookies and cache?

I don't know what "generated gifs vs imported gifs" means. Sorry.

1 minute ago, limpid said:

I don't know what "generated gifs vs imported gifs" means. Sorry.

I'm in Safari on Mojave 10.14.3.

The WebP files I can't see all seem to be gifs, I can see the ones that come from the button, but not the WebP ones, I'm guessing that's just two different formats.

Gifs and Mac/Safari have never got on well and WebP is a google thing so it'll most likely be pursuing their Chrome -or-die mission statement I guess?

14 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm in Safari on Mojave 10.14.3.

The WebP files I can't see all seem to be gifs, I can see the ones that come from the button, but not the WebP ones, I'm guessing that's just two different formats.

Gifs and Mac/Safari have never got on well and WebP is a google thing so it'll most likely be pursuing their Chrome -or-die mission statement I guess?

Perhaps it's time to upgrade to something much cheaper 😆

The GIFs from the button are from giphy - they are the same as the giphy embeds used to be, so I don't think anything has changed.

Did you try clearing your cache?

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Never.

I'll give that a go when I've got time to figure it out :)

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/safari-cache-mac-3496193/

There are a handful of situations when clearing Safari's cookies or cache - one of the places where Safari stores website data to avoid having to download it afresh each time you access a site - can help improve your browsing experience.

The first is when sites simply stop working when you access them on Safari. Perhaps Facebook stops updating with new posts, for example, or the images on a site don't appear as they should. If this happens it's likely the cache has become corrupted.

Not a big one, but when I scroll to the bottom of a page, and am about to press 'go to topic listing', the screen 'twitches' down a centimetre or so, and my finger comes down on the 'reply' box. Gets me every time. This is on an android phone. 

Edited by mjmooney
21 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Not a big one, but when I scroll to the bottom of a page, and am about to press 'go to topic listing', the screen 'twitches' down a centimetre or so, and my finger comes down on the 'reply' box. Gets me every time. This is on an android phone. 

Have you cleared cookies and cache? The announcement at the top of the page about this thread is about that size - have you closed it (by clicking the "x").

9 minutes ago, limpid said:

Have you cleared cookies and cache? The announcement at the top of the page about this thread is about that size - have you closed it (by clicking the "x").

Yes, I've closed the announcement. 

Yes, I've cleared the cache. 

Not sure how to clear cookies in android+Chrome... 

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

OK, I've closed the announcement.

i've cleared cache.

i've cleared cookies. 

It still does it. 

Can you try another device, preferably a computer? Are you using Chrome on the Android device or another browser?

On 10/03/2019 at 10:32, limpid said:

Can you try another device, preferably a computer? Are you using Chrome on the Android device or another browser?

No problem on a computer. Using Chrome on Android. I guess I could try using (say) Firefox.