Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

53 minutes ago, jonjon said:

I can't for the life of me understand why Villa don't/can't,won't buy and develop their own young players, it can't be cheap the way you are doing it, I suppose it's because you are awash with Premiership money and can't be asked.

Jack Grealish says hi. 

Most teams don’t bring through many from their youth, haven’t you brought players in yourselves? 

The youth team has had a complete overall recently, but even then it takes time and you are still going to get one or two from there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Jack Grealish says hi. 

Most teams don’t bring through many from their youth, haven’t you brought players in yourselves? 

The youth team has had a complete overall recently, but even then it takes time and you are still going to get one or two from there.

Yep - we are in arguably the toughest league in the world - which attracts the best players from across the globe. The idea that you will have half a dozen such players in your back yard is a non starter for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonjon said:

I can't for the life of me understand why Villa don't/can't,won't buy and develop their own young players, it can't be cheap the way you are doing it, I suppose it's because you are awash with Premiership money and can't be asked.

Someone give this guy a medal.

He's cracked football, all we need to do guys is develop our own world class players from within the Aston area.

Can't believe we'd never thought of that before.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Someone give this guy a medal.

He's cracked football, all we need to do guys is develop our own world class players from within the Aston area.

Can't believe we'd never thought of that before.

Chelsea has one of the best youth academies in Europe and loaned out 43 of them last year. How many of those will ever break into the Chelsea first team?!

The pressure for short term results is so great in the Premier league that it's difficult to nurture youngsters, who will take a while to develop. 

I think the buy back clauses are a good halfway house. Someone else develops the players and, if they turn out to be good enough, you buy the finished article back at a discounted rate. 

Does nobody else see the irony here?  Brentford got rid of their academy because they produced **** all over the years, and now this clown is berating Villa for not developing our own???

• Like 1

Back to transfers with Leao a no goer I wonder if that’s why the sudden link again to Benrahma and tenuous links again to Butland ... maybe the funds allocated will now be spent on those two perhaps ?! 

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Back to transfers with Leao a no goer I wonder if that’s why the sudden link again to Benrahma and tenuous links again to Butland ... maybe the funds allocated will now be spent on those two perhaps ?! 

Leao going to Inter then?

Just now, romavillan said:

Leao going to Inter then?

I don’t know but the calibre of teams in for him reportedly now ( and wolves ) I don’t like our chances if we ever were in the running .... Mendes will place him where best suits Mendes .... 

1 hour ago, jonjon said:

But, you just did ask. :D We have done very well with developing our own players over the years. Players such as Brian Little, Gordon Cowans, Lee Hendrie and currently Jack spring to mind, but you are lucky if you get 1 or 2 top quality players in a decade really (unless you are Brentford). We needed a lot of players at the same time, so had little choice other than to pay the big bucks. I hope we can continue to produce one or two gems in the coming seasons. 

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

The consensus was we had agreed a fee for Butland and Stoke then decided they wanted more, we didn't want to go any higher and so we've been looking at alternatives.

If Stoke are now willing to drop back to the original fee then I would think we are still interested, but that's a big if.

Benrahma, it seems we've been interested all window but I'd imagine his injury complicated matters, perhaps meaning we've looked elsewhere. A fee won't be easy to agree with Brentford, so we'll have to wait and see if anything comes of it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John said:

But, you just did ask. :D We have done very well with developing our own players over the years. Players such as Brian Little, Gordon Cowans, Lee Hendrie and currently Jack spring to mind, but you are lucky if you get 1 or 2 top quality players in a decade really (unless you are Brentford). We needed a lot of players at the same time, so had little choice other than to pay the big bucks. I hope we can continue to produce one or two gems in the coming seasons. 

We've also produced plenty of Premier League/Championship level players through the academy like, Barry, Cahill, Gabby, Hitzlsperger, Vassell, Samuel, Davis, Clarke, Ridgewell, Bannan, Whittingham, Hogg... it's not like our academy doesn't produce players. Like you say it's lucky if you get 1 or 2 really good ones a decade. Look at Liverpool, Who broke through their academy between Gerrard and Sterling? Not many at all.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

We've also produced plenty of Premier League/Championship level players through the academy like, Barry, Cahill, Gabby, Hitzlsperger, Vassell, Samuel, Davis, Clarke, Ridgewell, Bannan, Whittingham, Hogg... it's not like our academy doesn't produce players. Like you say it's lucky if you get 1 or 2 really good ones a decade. Look at Liverpool, Who broke through their academy between Gerrard and Sterling? Not many at all.

Barry and Hitzlesperger? We signed Barry as a 16 year old from Brighton, think the fee after tribunal ended up being around 500k - Hitz, well we got him from Bayern Munich on a free when he was 18. What qualifies as academy products? Those who have worked their way through from schoolboy up or someone we snapped up as a 16/17 year old? Sorry to be a pedant!!

Edited by DeadlyDirk
  • Like 1

Sterling was a QPR youth player. I think Liverpool bought him at about 16 when he was already recognised as a serious talent.

Just now, Sam-AVFC said:

Sterling was a QPR youth player. I think Liverpool bought him at about 16 when he was already recognised as a serious talent.

I know they paid a decent amount for him but there's always movement between the Academies, we bought Barry from Brighton and nicked Hitzlespeger from Bayern for example. I think as long as they've spent a decent amount of time in your academy before they break through then it's fair enough to class them as through your system as your coaches/training will of had some impact.

If you ignore Sterling then between Gerrard and Alexander-Arnold they produced very little.

I know they paid a decent amount for him but there's always movement between the Academies, we bought Barry from Brighton and nicked Hitzlespeger from Bayern for example. I think as long as they've spent a decent amount of time in your academy before they break through then it's fair enough to class them as through your system as your coaches/training will of had some impact.

If you ignore Sterling then between Gerrard and Alexander-Arnold they produced very little.

I dunno, Fowler, McManaman ,Owen, Gerrard...………… Liverpool have bought through some of the best players the premier has ever seen - up there with Man United

I think a lot of the top flight sides do bring through good players, who go onto to have good professional careers, but it seems in the Prem era Liverpool/Man U have monopolised on bringing through top level legendary club players...……….. 

Id say Villa are one of the more successful clubs at bringing through good quality players who go onto have good careers, if not at Villa...…….. but we have yet to bring through an Owen/Fowler/Gerrard/Scholes/Becks level player  -  maybe Jack one day, but don't think hell hit there heights

Just now, Adbo9 said:

I dunno, Fowler, McManaman ,Owen, Gerrard...………… Liverpool have bought through some of the best players the premier has ever seen - up there with Man United

I think a lot of the top flight sides do bring through good players, who go onto to have good professional careers, but it seems in the Prem era Liverpool/Man U have monopolised on bringing through top level legendary club players...……….. 

Id say Villa are one of the more successful clubs at bringing through good quality players who go onto have good careers, if not at Villa...…….. but we have yet to bring through an Owen/Fowler/Gerrard/Scholes/Becks level player  -  maybe Jack one day, but don't think hell hit there heights

I said since Gerrard, yes they had a good run up until him, but since then very little. United have produced many a player, but since the fabled class of 92? Not so much. They spent big on Rooney, Ferdinand, and Carrick because they'd stopped producing big talent. Both are beginning to bring through genuine talent now, but it's a long gap between early/mid 90's and now.

My point was even the supposed biggest and best academies only rarely bring through top talents that break in to, and stay in the first team.

58 minutes ago, John said:

Brentford don’t produce players through their academy either. They do the same thing we are doing, just one step earlier in the football food chain. 

Our visiting friend is just salty at seeing his team picked apart again to be able to see it (As we were when Man City did it to us).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

Chelsea has one of the best youth academies in Europe and loaned out 43 of them last year. How many of those will ever break into the Chelsea first team?!

The pressure for short term results is so great in the Premier league that it's difficult to nurture youngsters, who will take a while to develop. 

I think the buy back clauses are a good halfway house. Someone else develops the players and, if they turn out to be good enough, you buy the finished article back at a discounted rate. 

I don’t like these buy-back clauses. They’re simply another means of control for the largest clubs, and they’ve got advantages enough already. As it stands the penalty for hoarding youth talent is only to sell them on for a large profit, now we want to weaken it further by giving them a way to get them back if they turn quality? To hell with that.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Barry and Hitzlesperger? We signed Barry as a 16 year old from Brighton, think the fee after tribunal ended up being around 500k - Hitz, well we got him from Bayern Munich on a free when he was 18. What qualifies as academy products? Those who have worked their way through from schoolboy up or someone we snapped up as a 16/17 year old? Sorry to be a pedant!!

See below reply to another poster...

40 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

How far back do you take it? Every player has played for somebody before they join up to the academy, nobody just starts at Aston Villa. Cahill certainly is from Sheffield so we nicked him of a youth team in Sheffield, same with many more.

As I said, as long as they are in your academy long enough for the training/coaches to have had an impact then I think that counts, others may not agree and that's fair enough, I don't think there's any right/wrong answer here.

Edited by Teale's 'tache
formatting