Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 hour ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Still think this talk of paying £20m+ for Championship players is crazy, I've mentioned before it's only happened 5 times before, and 4 of those were proven Premier League players and full internationals that were relegated to the Championship.

Premier League teams don't spend £20m+ on unproven Championship players. Maddison is the exception, not the rule.

Brentford may want £20m-£25m for some of their players, but no one is going to pay that and nor should we.

It's 7-8 million a few years ago. It's just the amount of TV money available that's bumped up the player prices. 

• Like 1

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

Champions League football?

If we ever win the Premiership I will be over the Moon. But honestly, I couldn’t give a **** about the so called Champions League. A plastic manufactured contrived so called Championship that is competed for and sometimes won by clubs who aren’t even domestic Champions, for the sole purpose of making money. That’s about as far from the ethos of the beautiful game as you can get.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, useless said:

You don't win anything by qualifying for the champions league, just the chance to compete in it, if I was given the choice between finishing top four, or winning one of the domestic knock-out competitions, I'd take the latter, even the league cup.

Nah, Champions League every time. If we made CL we could attract top players to the club and would be pitting ourselves against the best. Anyone can win the League Cup or FA Cup as sides like Wigan and Birmingham have shown.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I'd rather win an actual trophy for the trophy cabinet, that's what football should be all about. You can qualify for the Champions League but if you don't win it, then you've got nothing to show for it, other than to say that you took part. As for anyone being able to win FA Cup that's not really true because we haven't done so for over fifty years.

• Like 1

I'd love for this club to win a trophy, of course. But if it was a choice between say winning a domestic trophy and embarrassing ourselves in the league, or not winning a trophy and competing with the best sides in the league and then getting a chance to play Real, Barcelona, Bayern and bring them to Villa Park, then I'd definitely choose the latter. Particularly as we now have owners who would invest considerably if we ever got to that level. 

• Like 2

Well Smith is aiming for the title next season, so I think we're going to need at least seven new players for the first eleven alone, as of the players we own only Grealish, McGinn, El Ghazi and presumably Guilbert will be starters. And on top of that we're going to need some squad players.

54 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

The Italy v Spain U21 game is on and there’s some fantastic talent on display there. If I was a scout I’d be making a list and handing it to Suso. 

The quality on display is mind boggling for such young players.

Those players are already too far gone in terms of reputation. The Italy front 6 would probably cost you £40m each.

44 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

It's 7-8 million a few years ago. It's just the amount of TV money available that's bumped up the player prices. 

The new TV deal has been running for the 3 years we've been out of the division, the same money has been around for those three years. The points from my original post still stand, only Maddison has moved from the Championship for £20m+ who wasn't an established Premier League player and full international.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Not so sure about that. Use Delph as a yardstick. We paid £ 6 million in 2009 if I remember correctly. Right now he'd probably have been a £ 25 million talent. Are you telling me the TV deal is 400% as lucrative? I seriously doubt that cause I remember what they called "The worlds most lucrative promotion" back then and they said it was worth £100 million. Now they are saying £200 million, which to me indicates it's about twice as lucrative. 

The TV deal does not alone explain extreme prices for championship talent imo.  

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Not so sure about that. Use Delph as a yardstick. We paid £ 6 million in 2009 if I remember correctly. Right now he'd probably have been a £ 25 million talent. Are you telling me the TV deal is 400% as lucrative? I seriously doubt that cause I remember what they called "The worlds most lucrative promotion" back then and they said it was worth £100 million. Now they are saying £200 million, which to me indicates it's about twice as lucrative. 

The TV deal does not alone explain extreme prices for championship talent imo.  

That's just one avenue of income. You are forgetting things like sleeve sponsors, the effect social media has had on sports advertisement in the last 5-6 years, the fact that clubs have bigger competition for signatures with more money being around, more kids grow up playing fifa etc.

It's not as easy as TV money is twice as big. Every single factor is multiplied with each season, that's why transfers are getting crazy.

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

That's just one avenue of income. You are forgetting things like sleeve sponsors, the effect social media has had on sports advertisement in the last 5-6 years, the fact that clubs have bigger competition for signatures with more money being around, more kids grow up playing fifa etc.

It's not as easy as TV money is twice as big. Every single factor is multiplied with each season, that's why transfers are getting crazy.

Fully aware of that, but I don't think it adds up to the numbers you are talking here. 

10 minutes ago, useless said:

It's getting to the point where we're going be signing players almost every other day. Hopefully Hause, Mings, Moraes, and Butland will be completed next week.

All of them apart Hause! i don't rate him i'm afraid we can do much, much better! The kid isn't Premier League level there is reason why Wolves want get rid. Before anyone wants have pop at that  it's my opinion UTV

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Fully aware of that, but I don't think it adds up to the numbers you are talking here. 

No one can say for definate that the football market is now worth 3 or 4 or 7.2 times what it was worth in 2009. But it's definately worth a heck of a lot more and will only get bigger.

1 hour ago, useless said:

You don't win anything by qualifying for the champions league, just the chance to compete in it, if I was given the choice between finishing top four, or winning one of the domestic knock-out competitions, I'd take the latter, even the league cup.

girl why dont we have both GIF

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

All of them apart Hause! i don't rate him i'm afraid we can do much, much better! The kid isn't Premier League level. Before anyone wants have pop it's my opinion.

I kind of agree. I was never convinced, but I'm not the one watching him everyday in training. 

From what I've seen, he can be solid as a backup. Not a starter, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong!