Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

17 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

15 years before us and u could say same about Villa dads. So are we not a powerhouse or are we a Preston?

We had players in our squad few weeks back born in early 80s

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

So whats the story with how much we have to spend in relation to FFP?  We spend over 100 mill are we going to break it?  

We need about 10 players, we sign 2 for 50 mill that leaves 6 mill each for other 8 which wont get u much in prem. We would be straight back down.

wouldnt worry about it now.

We passed the last 3 year rolling cycle (barely i think), we are now in the Prem and the next 3 years our finances go up by a minimum of 170m to 200m, probably more once everything else is taken in to account.

Spending 100m to stay on the Premiership gravy train  is probably small change compared to going back down again.

I would imagine we are looking quite healthy now, we only have half a squad due to releasing numerous players whose salary over 12 months adds up to at least 17million a year , the money drainers (McCormack/Richards) are off the books, and anything we add now is pretty much our choice, so we have a good level of control over finances now.

All looks rosey from what i can see, but maybe someone who knows FFP inside out could confirm or deny.

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

It's difficult finding someone who is can play on the left and the right at the same time during a match though. 

Shame on you for forgetting the mercurial talents of Super John McGinn. 

Edited by villarocker
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

So whats the story with how much we have to spend in relation to FFP?  We spend over 100 mill are we going to break it?  

We need about 10 players, we sign 2 for 50 mill that leaves 6 mill each for other 8 which wont get u much in prem. We would be straight back down.

Well, in theory, any money spent on a player would see an equivalent amount on the books as a capital asset (converting cash to a "thing" that has value on the books, such as a player, training facility etc), which would depreciate over the life of the contract, so if we gave everyone a four year contract (I know we haven't) but a £100m spend would actually show as a spend of £25m (deprecation) in year 1 with £75m of capital assets owned. So if we had £100m FFP headroom not counting salaries, we could in theory spend £400m.....

Thats a very simplistic view but is the basis of why i would not be too worried if we spent well over £100m from a FFP perspective.

Cashflow is another issue, but i dont think that will be a problem for our owners...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Whats that got to do with the dads argument you brought up?

I suppose if those players were alive when we won the European Cup then its a good chance their dads are old enough to remember it.

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Collymore suggestingvtaylr and Elmo won't be good enough for premier league. I agree.

I'd shot Taylor off. Elmo as a squad player only for me.

I dont think they are good enough either but they could probably still do a job if called upon. 

• Like 1

I don't rate Elmo or Taylor and want better first team options, but I don't think it's wise to get rid of them for two reasons. 

1) We need squad depth.

2) It's a mistake losing too many of the people that got us promoted. Keeping a bit of a core and develop bit by bit will get you much further much faster IMO. 

• Like 4

We need a CB x2, LB, DCM, WInger and then a number of squad options. Increasingly it also seems we are getting a new keeper too.

I see it as:

GK ?

Guilbert,  CB1?      CB2?    LB?

DCM?

Jack           John

El Ghazi                           Winger?

Wesley

Now if rumours are to be true

• GK = Butland
  • CB1 = Mings
  • CB2 = ???
  • LB = Targett/???
  • DCM = Philips/???
  • Winger = ???

That is a lot of unknowns, especially when you consider we probably need another 2/3 squad options in there as well like Hause and Jota!

10 minutes ago, Qwpzxjor1 said:

How did we go from having like 6 right backs (and none of them playing right back) to having one, who everyone agrees isn't really a right back and isn't good enough?

Guilbert?

18 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Elmo is criminally hard done by on here. He was great during the run in and probably our best player across the three playoff games. I find it bizarre that there's such a strong sentiment for Steer to keep his place while people would bin Elmo. I'd happily have him as back up next season.

Because he can't defend well in the championship, he'd get roasted in the PL every game. He's an excellent crosser, and was a huge part of our winning run because we were on the front foot for 75% of our time on the pitch since Jack came back v Derby in the 4-0.

Hopefully Fred Gilbert will be solid but he'll need to offer something going forward as well in Dean's side. Doubt he'll be as good a crosser to be honest so hopefully his general play will make up for it.

• Like 1