Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yep, I'd look to buy Hause and Mings - I think they match what the squad needs and they both look a good fit for the club. 

I seem to remember there being an option in the El Ghazi deal too.

Can both play LB and CB too.

I think withe the amount of positions we need covered, we will get quite a few which can cover more than one position adequately.

19 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

You think he’s average? No-one’s taken a chance on him, wherever he’s been he’s scored goals throughout his career, I’d take him here in the Summer

He was at Southampton back when they first got promoted back to the Prem and they shipped him out on loan because they obviously didn't think he'd cut it in a higher league. Don't get me wrong he's very good at this level but at 33 he's exactly the sort of player we need to stop signing.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

He was at Southampton back when they first got promoted back to the Prem and they shipped him out on loan because they obviously didn't think he'd cut it in a higher league. Don't get me wrong he's very good at this level but at 33 he's exactly the sort of player we need to stop signing.

I think you are correct, we need to think long term and we seem to be doing that with the signing of Guilbert

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IwishIwasalivein1982 said:

I think it's highly likely we're going to sign Maupay from Brentford

I get a bit worried about that kind of signing.  As talented as he is (and bit of a bell end really), it seems to me that for Championship players, having a big fee adds a new pressure that they struggle to handle.  We have been stung by that before and hopefully Suso has done a bit more research in finding the next Maupay from France or wherever.

On 01/03/2019 at 17:00, sir_gary_cahill said:

You think he’s average? No-one’s taken a chance on him, wherever he’s been he’s scored goals throughout his career, I’d take him here in the Summer

So had McCormack mate. We need to change our approach, which it looks like Smith is doing judging his Jan signings

• Like 1

On 02/03/2019 at 12:28, sharkyvilla said:

I get a bit worried about that kind of signing.  As talented as he is (and bit of a bell end really), it seems to me that for Championship players, having a big fee adds a new pressure that they struggle to handle.  We have been stung by that before and hopefully Suso has done a bit more research in finding the next Maupay from France or wherever.

I agree with this. I think it's a huge benefit to be absolutely new to this league, especially when you have to play in front of a Villa Park crowd who, well.. can be quite hostile. Coming in here with a big reputation from another Championship club is difficult enough, then you add the pressure of playing for a big club and the fact that our team isn't even close to being settled and winning week in and week out. I think McGinn has worked out well for several reasons, one of them is definately that we didn't have huge expectations of him. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Unpopular opinion, but I'd rather we keep Hogan than spend the type of money Brentford would want for Maupay.

I'd rather not sign Maupay and not keep Hogan.

• Like 4

Even if we might need a complete overhaul I doubt it'll be that big. 10 new players in would be more than I expect, even if we sign some of our loan players like Mings, Hausse and El Ghazi and count them in. Ay leasy if we don't reach promotion, which I highly doubt. We'll see.

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d be surprised if we didn’t sign Hause and Mings. I reckon both are expected to be permanent moves.

El Ghazi and Carrol I’m not so sure on.

I reckon El Ghazi would have more of a chance than being signed permanently than Carroll.

El Ghazi would largely depend on price as above a certain level we could probably do better. ( Above 3 - 5 mill)

You have to wonder if a preseason with us and being settled would bring out more consistency in the "Good Elghazi".

I feel Carroll was probably a 4th or 5th choice signing from a list if i'm honest.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I reckon El Ghazi would have more of a chance than being signed permanently than Carroll.

El Ghazi would largely depend on price as above a certain level we could probably do better. ( Above 3 - 5 mill)

You have to wonder if a preseason with us and being settled would bring out more consistency in the "Good Elghazi".

I feel Carroll was probably a 4th or 5th choice signing from a list if i'm honest.

From what I remember El Ghazi was 2m loan fee and another 6 to make it permanent. Euro's that is.

Might all be paper talk thou.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SirSteveUK said:

If Maupay moves in the summer,  it will be to a lower PL club or one of the promoted clubs 

Ligue 1 is the most likely destination, from what I hear.

• Thanks 1

On 01/03/2019 at 17:48, OutByEaster? said:

So based on that, I think we need (in order):

1. Starting CB (Mings please)
  2. Starting Left back
  3. Back up CB
  4. Right winger
  5. Defensive midfielder
  6. Left Winger
  7. Back up Right winger
  8. Back up CB
  9. Striker
  10. Central midfielder
  11. Back up Defensive midfielder

I don't think we can afford to go out and buy those (at least) eleven players - I think we need to be looking at trying to get as many young and hungry as we can afford, four or five on loans and a couple of out of contract players with a little experience.

It's a big ask.

how many of those roles could we realistically fill with u23s or other academy players?