Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Steer played in a team that were on long winning streak and dominating the ball for large parts of game, he was tested on few occasions and yes he passed them tests but this is a way different league, we are gonna be without the ball for large parts of games and at times our goal is gonna be under serious pressure, think that bit of top flight keeping experience butland gives ya would stand to us in the second half of a season  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Steer played in a team that were on long winning streak and dominating the ball for large parts of game, he was tested on few occasions and yes he passed them tests but this is a way different league, we are gonna be without the ball for large parts of games and at times our goal is gonna be under serious pressure, think that bit of top flight keeping experience butland gives ya would stand to us in the second half of a season  

Don't think many teams will do that to us to be fair. There's a few obvious candidates but outside of them I reckon Smith with an even more talented group of players will create a side that will manage the ball very well indeed.

EDIT: On the Steer point though, keeper is a crucial position and as I've said in the Butland thread, having 3 good keepers battling for 2 match day places is where we want to be at.

Edited by romavillan

3 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Mings and Etheridge?

Dunk is a proven Premier League proven centre back, he’s been Brighton’s best player for a couple of years now I think. Mings has only played a handful of games in the top division. The fact that Bournemouth were willing to loan Mings out to The Championship with us backs up my claim I think. Dunk has played for England, Mings hasn’t. 

Etheridge had a good season for Cardiff last season but it was his only season in the Premier League, he’s not proven like Butland is I think which is why there is a gulf between the 2 fees for the 2 goalkeepers. Butland is proven in the top league

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Like 3

If I was Turnbull, I wouldn't dream of going there now.

Trying to bully him into signing.

Have a look at John McGinn and Andy Robertson to see how it goes when you come to England if you're good enough.

I doubt there’s truth in the link to Dunk, but I hope so. Class player. Also it weakens one of our relegation rivals.

I’ve always thought one of the smartest things Man City did once they got bought was to weaken the rivals around them. They took Barry and Milner from us in back-to-back years, Lescott from Everton, Nasri, Adebayor, Clichy and Toure from Arsenal, Tevez from West Ham. It didn’t always work out for them but it certainly affected the clubs those players left. There’s FFP now and football has gotten a lot more expensive since then, but the more we can do to hurt our rivals the better, I think.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

I appreciate what Jed Steer did, and will forever be grateful for it, but I'd prefer not to have him as our No. 1 option when we head to Tottenham in August.

100% agree

44 minutes ago, Thats2 said:

I doubt there’s truth in the link to Dunk, but I hope so. Class player. Also it weakens one of our relegation rivals.

I’ve always thought one of the smartest things Man City did once they got bought was to weaken the rivals around them. They took Barry and Milner from us in back-to-back years, Lescott from Everton, Nasri, Adebayor, Clichy and Toure from Arsenal, Tevez from West Ham. It didn’t always work out for them but it certainly affected the clubs those players left. There’s FFP now and football has gotten a lot more expensive since then, but the more we can do to hurt our rivals the better, I think.

Absolutely no chance we're in for Dunk IMO, he might well be a good defender, but he's the type to treat the ball as if it were a grenade when it's at his feet. He's not what Dean Smith looks for in a player, even a centre half, so I'd be extremely surprised if we're in for him, just doesn't fit the mould. 

• Like 2

While we're here, we should be hoovering up players like Bayliss and Turnbull for £3m a piece.

Have a look, if not ready, out they go to someone like Luton or Barnsley for the season.

Maddison signed for Norwich when they were in the PL, straight into their team when they got relegated. Sold for £25m one year later.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 3