Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

We need to spend, it's that simple. Football prices have gone up massively in the last few years and unfortunately to get the quality needed to compete in the Prem costs money. That's not to say we should be reckless, but we do need to invest rather heavily. There are players who will come cheaper with the right scouting (e.g. Guilbert may turn out to be a gem) and over the years we've seen players like Alli, Kante and Robertson sold for less than £10mil and become bargains. But this is generally the exception to the norm and given how sides like City have overinflated prices we will have to spend a fair bit to get proven PL players now. 

I think we can probably be a bit more frugal in certain areas (LB, RW), but a striker, defensive midfielder, goalkeeper and centre back are areas which will make or break our season I feel and because they're in core areas will require some heavy investment. Personally, if we say spent £20mil on Butland, £15mil on Mings, £10mil on Tomori, another CB (Veltman?), £20mil on a defensive midfielder (Gelson Fernandes from Benfica?), £40mil on Gomez that's £105mil. We could then either fill the other positions with loans (e.g. Wilson from Liverpool, Mount from Chelsea)) or loan to buys, or look for cheap bargains on unproven youngsters with high potential overseas. I'm not saying we're going to get all those players listed, or that they're all realistic, but some of them are from the Championship, some of them are top-level players, they're all young or youngish, and they all have resale value. They also are of the right quality that players like Grealish deserve to be playing alongside and should help us stay up. 

The team and squad currently has a lot of holes, there are weak teams in the Prem but right now we are definitely among the weakest, we worked so hard to get where we are and I think to fill those holes we need to invest a certain chunk of money just to stay up and build from there. It's not ideal but it's what is necessary imo.

Completely agree. I would go a step further. Our defence is currently extremely weak.

Goalkeeper - love Steer for what he did for us but as Liverpool have shown, a keeper makes so much difference. Not comparing us to Liverpool just highlighting the differences good keeper makes.

Left back - Taylor was weak in the championship and Hause isnt right for left back

Right back - Guilbert, hopefully right plus Elmo

Central backs - we need to spend for Ming’s plus another

Just there is big outlay

20 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Completely agree. I would go a step further. Our defence is currently extremely weak.

Goalkeeper - love Steer for what he did for us but as Liverpool have shown, a keeper makes so much difference. Not comparing us to Liverpool just highlighting the differences good keeper makes.

Left back - Taylor was weak in the championship and Hause isnt right for left back

Right back - Guilbert, hopefully right plus Elmo

Central backs - we need to spend for Ming’s plus another

Just there is big outlay

I see what you did dere.....

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We need some ITK’s on this thread. Why is nobody tracking Suso’s movements? 

Where are the press conference chair counters? 

Where is the private jet tracking? 

I need rumours!!

ive heard vive_la_villa  fancies blokes 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We need some ITK’s on this thread. Why is nobody tracking Suso’s movements? 

Where are the press conference chair counters? 

Where is the private jet tracking? 

I need rumours!!

I know right, MI5 can track you from space with their sattelites and if you believe the hype they can almost read the time on your watch while doing it.

We can't even track a 5ft 5 Spaniard with a David seaman haircut.......

We need to work on our super powers....

Edited by MaVilla

38 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

We won't finish in top half, we don't have a squad, we need to very quickly understand it's going to be very tough and we should be happy with 17th.

It's a bit early to make definitive statements on where will or won't finish. How could you possibly know that?

We dont have a squad. Correct. Don't you think we're planning to put one together? See how that goes first, yeah?

We might be happy with 17th in the end. We might surprise a few and worry the top 10. It depends on how the season unfolds.

I just dont understand making definitive statements on how we'll do before we've even really begun spending or kicked a ball in anger. To me that's far more absurd than predicting a top 10 finish in a league with plenty of garbage outside the top 7 or 8.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Avin Alaf... Nice.

Cahill too expensive? On a free? Jesus...

He might be asking for daft wages. In which case good luck. Dont think there's anything in it though unless JT has made a case for him.

Edited by Mazrim

4 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

It's a bit early to make definitive statements on where will or won't finish. How could you possibly know that?

We dont have a squad. Correct. Don't you think we're planning to put one together? See how that goes first, yeah?

We might be happy with 17th in the end. We might surprise a few and worry the top 10. It depends on how the season unfolds.

I just dont understand making definitive statements on how we'll do before we've even really begun spending or kicked a ball in anger. To me that's far more absurd than predicting a top 10 finish in a league with plenty of garbage outside the top 7 or 8.

I'll be ecstatic if we build top half squad in the next 57 days. But as it stands I'll be happy with survival and a season with attractive, attacking football in the Prem for the first time in years. I think building up our expectations for top 10 is a recipe for disaster, our lofty expectations - imo - always fuelled some of the negativity at VP and made it a tough place to make a success of the young squads we tried to develop towards the end of Lerners reign.

Maybe I'm being unfair, but Dean himself hinted at Villa Park being a tough place to play for a young lad. (Can't remember who he was talking about, O'Hare maybe).

I'll be as excited and raring to go for next year as anybody, I just don't think it's currently fair for us to be pushing top 10 on a squad that doesn't exist

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Linked to Matt Targett 

...in The Sun. £10m

I don't trust The Sun one bit, but...

I like the look of Targett, it's definitely an area we need to upgrade, fee seems reasonable enough, and he fits the model we are looking for. I don't know enough about Southampton or their squad to know if they'd be willing to sell though.

Just now, Teale's 'tache said:

I don't trust The Sun one bit, but...

I like the look of Targett, it's definitely an area we need to upgrade, fee seems reasonable enough, and he fits the model we are looking for. I don't know enough about Southampton or their squad to know if they'd be willing to sell though.

He made 13 appearances as a starter last year, but by the end of the season Bertrand was first choice (imagine he always was tbh, perhaps he was injured).

Nearly moved to Fulham in January but it fell through 

22 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I can't see it. 140m is a huge amount of money and it would be reckless to spend that sort of money and potentially get relegated. Have we not learned anything form the past few years?

I think it might be half of that. 

People saying we are dead certs for relegation that's not always the case  look at Huddersfield they stayed up. We need  to strengthen no question but I don't think we are that bad a squad. 

I don't think Norwich or staff into are that much better than us either.

I can't see us spending much less than that - if we are buying a new keeper for £20m and we want a realistic chance of surviving comfortably.  When we have spent well in the past we have created value - if properly managed (not letting contracts run down etc) which I think Purslow, Smith et al will do ... Milner, Young, Delph, Downing spring to mind.

I think we could potentially reduce the net amount by pulling in fees for Kodjia, hopefully Hogan, Bjarnason, Kalanic, and, ideally in my world, Taylor and Elmo (I'm sure Bruce will take him for a £1m fee).  Maybe £25m there??

We have to spend £60m to stand still - Mings (£15m), Hause (£3m), El Ghazi (£8m), Jota replacing Albert (£4m) and probably £30m on a striker to replace Tammy and CB replacement for Axel (if you took Maupay and Tomori as suitable replacements).  Then add the £20m we are talking about for Butland.  And that still leaves us short of right back cover, a left back, a DCM, another attacking CM option, striker cover (I believe we need three and assume Davis stays in the mix) and at least another wide option, if not two if we loan out Green which I would.  £60m spend there and you are only (I say only but I think it works) getting the cream of the Championship. 

I am not sure what squad you envisage us going into the season with if we don't do this kind of business?

5 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

He made 13 appearances as a starter last year, but by the end of the season Bertrand was first choice (imagine he always was tbh, perhaps he was injured).

Nearly moved to Fulham in January but it fell through 

Kieran Gibbs would be a decent shout IMO for £3m (as reported the other day).  Not the young and hungry, but relatively cheap and living in the area.  Also brings substantial premier league experience as well - something that we are lacking elsewhere in the squad at the minute.

• Like 1