Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Food for thought: Alan Nixon suggested that there are few signings until July as players contracts run until the end of June, so why incur tens of thousands in wages in a dead period for the sake of getting them in early?

i note our deals are mainly activating loan triggers that were due to expire.

• Like 1

"So the young bull said.. 'Lets run down there and **** a cow' and the father bull said: 'No son, lets walk down there and **** them all..'

Or something.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Whatever happens it can’t be worse than this...

1zg6gxi.jpg

Our last Premier League match day squad 😱

I’d have Gueye and Grealish from that squad. The rest are terrible. 

We deserved to go down. 

18 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

It is. It's a huge risk and gamble. I know a lot of people feel this team needs a lot of surgery. I don't. The team knows each other indie out and we have a lot of experienced premier league players probably more than the other two promoted clubs.

We need to additions no question but I think 140m would be crazy and suicidal for our future. Let's build a quality side but let's do it properly.  First step is stay up and then slowly establish ourselves as a pl club again 

From what I've just read moments ago is that were trying to complete at least four signings that by looking at it sounds as though we could breach top ten in first season.

I don't know how they do all this number crunching to come to that conclusion but if they can make that happen and those four signings were to cost 140m then I wouldn't be so against that idea.

Pulling massive moves like that are always risky, the good thing is our Owners are the third richest in English football and can back those kind of plays. As I said I think we need a balance between big money signings and bring in some gems from the championship that will fit together lovely. I trust Smith, he has the ability to turn crap into gold, so question here is can he turn wine into water and go that extra length and turn this league upside down and go one better than wolves.

Being a Yam Yam myself, I hope Smith can stick it to the premier and Wolves this season I really do. 

Big rebuild but need to be smart.

I do not even know what our cap on spending is either, a question I've asked alot over the past season and no one could seem to answer.

Another question I have is what our club was worth before we got promoted, what is it worth now we've been promoted and will our club worth go up ten fold if we survive and do a top ten finish lets say???

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

We still have just under 2 months left before the transfer window closes .... but .... we have less than a month before the players are back for pre season training. I don't expect all our signings done in the next four weeks, but we need the nucleus of our first team and bench in place in order to gel as a unit before the big day on August 10th. Given the number of players who have either been released or returned to their respective clubs after loans, we are working to a much tighter deadline than normal.

The Majority must be I'm place for September the 24th no matter what for:

Can't wait for fifa 20 and it's fifa street return as can do 3v3, 4v4 with or without keepers, more control in games has been announced and a chance for me to really give ultimate team a go with VILLA as a premier club.

Edited by Dave-R

The club has already told us that they have a plan in place, they won't get every player and will have to compromise in some cases, this has already started. So the spend is irrelevant, they've already set a budget and are acting on it.

I believe to stay up it was vital that we were able to keep the spine of the team, this has already blown up as Tuanzebe and Abraham are unlikely to be coming, maybe something will happen late in the transfer period, but unlikely. 

History already tells us that in most cases only the team that finished first in the Championship stay up the following season. I would argue that although we had ups and downs we were as good as any team in the Championship in the final 3 months of the season.

Keeping that spine would have made the job just that little easier, but Smith will now have to start again with a relatively new squad, and again history tells us that Smiths ways take a little while to develop amongst the playing group, and we can't afford a slow start in the PL. It will be easier with a pre-season but when we're looking at possibly 6-7 new first 11 and another 5-6 squad cover, it won't be easy.

I have no doubt we will sign the right players, but the job isn't easy and a lot of work behind the scenes will need to occur for all the stars to align into Villa staying up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

We deserved to go down. 

Jordan Ayew was a very skilful player and could be good too, I'd probably take him as a bench option now. That squad also contained Veretout and Amavi (the latter was injured for most of it), but we never got to see them develop into good players because the team was so disjointed. But yeah the rest were awful - and Grealish at that time was far too immature and unprofessional compared to what he is now. So out of all of them only Gueye performed anywhere near to an acceptable level and people didn't really notice it because everyone else was so bad. 

I remember when we brought Richards in thinking what a signing on a free, how wrong I was there. His career was over about three years before that.

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

From what I've just read moments ago is that were trying to complete at least four signings that by looking at it sounds as though we could breach top ten in first season.

I don't know how they do all this number crunching to come to that conclusion but if they can make that happen and those four signings were to cost 140m then I wouldn't be so against that idea.

Pulling massive moves like that are always risky, the good thing is our Owners are the third richest in English football and can back those kind of plays. As I said I think we need a balance between big money signings and bring in some gems from the championship that will fit together lovely. I trust Smith, he has the ability to turn crap into gold, so question here is can he turn wine into water and go that extra length and turn this league upside down and go one better than wolves.

Being a Yam Yam myself, I hope Smith can stick it to the premier and Wolves this season I really do. 

Big rebuild but need to be smart.

I do not even know what our cap on spending is either, a question I've asked alot over the past season and no one could seem to answer.

Another question I have is what our club was worth before we got promoted, what is it worth now we've been promoted and will our club worth go up ten fold if we survive and do a top ten finish lets say???

We need to spend, it's that simple. Football prices have gone up massively in the last few years and unfortunately to get the quality needed to compete in the Prem costs money. That's not to say we should be reckless, but we do need to invest rather heavily. There are players who will come cheaper with the right scouting (e.g. Guilbert may turn out to be a gem) and over the years we've seen players like Alli, Kante and Robertson sold for less than £10mil and become bargains. But this is generally the exception to the norm and given how sides like City have overinflated prices we will have to spend a fair bit to get proven PL players now. 

I think we can probably be a bit more frugal in certain areas (LB, RW), but a striker, defensive midfielder, goalkeeper and centre back are areas which will make or break our season I feel and because they're in core areas will require some heavy investment. Personally, if we say spent £20mil on Butland, £15mil on Mings, £10mil on Tomori, another CB (Veltman?), £20mil on a defensive midfielder (Gelson Fernandes from Benfica?), £40mil on Gomez that's £105mil. We could then either fill the other positions with loans (e.g. Wilson from Liverpool, Mount from Chelsea)) or loan to buys, or look for cheap bargains on unproven youngsters with high potential overseas. I'm not saying we're going to get all those players listed, or that they're all realistic, but some of them are from the Championship, some of them are top-level players, they're all young or youngish, and they all have resale value. They also are of the right quality that players like Grealish deserve to be playing alongside and should help us stay up. 

The team and squad currently has a lot of holes, there are weak teams in the Prem but right now we are definitely among the weakest, we worked so hard to get where we are and I think to fill those holes we need to invest a certain chunk of money just to stay up and build from there. It's not ideal but it's what is necessary imo.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The problem was we couldn’t defend. Every game we lost with Sherwood in charge was by 1 goal. Then when Garde took over it got even worse. You keep conceding shit goals the confidence soon drains out the team. Our back four and keeper were a complete shambles. 

For me it was all down to Richards. My memory is of him being out of position for a huge number of goals. Never a CB. What a disaster. Worst signing ever along with the other dozen... 

Replacing Benteke with Gestede didn't help either. What a terrible idea. 

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, thunderball said:

Food for thought: Alan Nixon suggested that there are few signings until July as players contracts run until the end of June, so why incur tens of thousands in wages in a dead period for the sake of getting them in early?

i note our deals are mainly activating loan triggers that were due to expire.

Or we could give contracts that start on July 1.

3 hours ago, Dave-R said:

The Majority must be I'm place for September the 24th no matter what for:

Can't wait for fifa 20 and it's fifa street return as can do 3v3, 4v4 with or without keepers, more control in games has been announced and a chance for me to really give ultimate team a go with VILLA as a premier club.

I wouldn't be too convinced by FIFA's gameplay claims. It basically changes with a new console generation and you could argue it's still recognisable from fifa 08.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Personally I love this thread this summer!  I don’t care if someone posts wild and ridiculous speculation, it’s part of the enjoyment for me.   Imagine how depressing this thread would be if we’d lost at Wembley?  We’d be suggesting Lee Cattermole as an option or worse.

Let’s all enjoy the suggestions/links and discussing them.  Best transfer thread in years.  I’m still hoping for a Darren Bent style VT meltdown!  :flag:

Totally agree with this. It is a joy. Also imagine how bad it would have been if we had gone up last year! We would have been skint and trying to build a squad to compete. Dinobruce and Xia would have been all over Sturridge and the like, saddling is with a load of crap players on massive long contracts with no chance of ever off loading them. 

This year, even if we do spend big money, it will be on players who’s value will probably increase and will remain saleable assets. We are in a really strong position for the first time in years. With some careful investment and a bit of luck, we can easily finish in the top 10. We really have the momentum. I just hope the fans stick with it, come what may. The relationship between the team and the fans for the final third of the season was amazing. The best I have ever known. That’s worth 10 points in itself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave-R said:

...and go that extra length and turn this league upside down and go one better than wolves

We won't finish in top half, we don't have a squad, we need to very quickly understand it's going to be very tough and we should be happy with 17th.

Couldn't give a toss about Wolves, they aren't a massive rival, it's only developed because Baggies and Blues have been shite (for both us and wolves). They've done well, fair play to them, they were in a much better position going up than we are. We won't finish above them and I'm not particularly bothered about doing so either. I want us to survive and any talk of top 10 finishes is absurd.

If we get to Game 1 and have spent £200m I'll allow myself the thought but even then I'd be looking at QPR and Fulham as examples of what can happen when you bring in so many players and spend loads of money. Building a squad is the important thing this year. Not how much money we spend.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

We deserved to go down. 

i actually wouldn't take the grealish from that era myself...this was the jack that was unconscious in tenerife and nowhere near the player we have today. i also have very different memories of guaye and to this day dont see what the fuss is about. i wouldnt take a single player from that squad. we're stronger than that team in every single area already and the transfer window is still young

• Like 1