Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Kodija couldn’t even get in our championship side. Elmo turns 32 in September. Chester has publicly admitted his injury means he may never be same again.  Taylor was probably our weakest link last season. Kalinic couldn’t get in the team and Hogan is shit. 

Yes they are all have caps but I’m struggling to see how that means anything for next season. 

Never seen Chester say that?

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Never seen Chester say that?

Don’t know how to post links and it wasn’t in those exact words but what he said suggests he’s knees problem is pretty serious. 

“I've damaged my body indefinitely,” says Chester. “It's something I'm going to have to manage for the rest of my career.

“Hopefully I can look after it and play for as long as possible. It is what it is, I'm a professional’

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Whatever happens it can’t be worse than this...

1zg6gxi.jpg

Our last Premier League match day squad 😱

Jesus was that our actual final day team??

3 defensive midfielders, some terrible players there.....omg

Edited by MaVilla

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Kodija couldn’t even get in our championship side. Elmo turns 32 in September. Chester has publicly admitted his injury means he may never be same again.  Taylor was probably our weakest link last season. Kalinic couldn’t get in the team and Hogan is shit. 

Yes they are all have caps but I’m struggling to see how that means anything for next season. 

You are a positieve thinker, I like that

Kodjia was barred by a very good Abraham, no shame in that. Elmo will probably turn 33 a year later, being past 30 doesn’t mean you’re finished anymore. Chester’s injury MAY be a problem, it could go either way. Taylor is indeed our weakest link and should be replaced. Kalinic got injured and by the time he got back, Steer was doing a good job. Hogan is indeed shit.

None of them are superstars, but they can all still do a fine job and will have experience frim their international sides.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AXD said:

You are a positieve thinker, I like that

Kodjia was barred by a very good Abraham, no shame in that. Elmo will probably turn 33 a year later, being past 30 doesn’t mean you’re finished anymore. Chester’s injury MAY be a problem, it could go either way. Taylor is indeed our weakest link and should be replaced. Kalinic got injured and by the time he got back, Steer was doing a good job. Hogan is indeed shit.

None of them are superstars, but they can all still do a fine job and will have experience frim their international sides.

I’m realistic mate. The response was to @Demitri_C who mentioned earlier he doesn’t think we should spend big because we have internationals in the squad. I’m pointing out that the fact that are internationals is irrelevant and gave my reasons why I think that.  We need massive massive investment.  I think some of those players above need to be purely squad players if we have a hope of staying up. 

Edit: I whacked £9 on us to get promoted at 25-1 at the start of March so I’d like to think I’m actually a positive thinker.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

Toner, lyden, Westwood, Sinclair, cissokho, lescott, Bunn, bacuna.

3 defensive midfielders playing at the same time......

Jesus no wonder we went down......and veretout etc weren't even picked...

Edited by MaVilla

11 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Spending money hasn’t been the problem and won’t be this summer. Our problems have all arisen from the way in which we’ve spent it. It’s pretty obvious that the lessons have been learned and the new owners and management team have an entirely different approach. 

Even during the first money-ball era, the much derided Paddy Reilly ( I think that’s his name), picked a lot of decent players that have left us and gone on to have good careers. The problem is we were a poorly run club with no coherent strategy throughout the club. That isn’t the case now. We know we need to invest but we now know how to invest and how to make the best of that investment. 

The problem was that Tim Sherwood had no idea how to integrate the French players and get the best out of them and Garde just followed on.  They tried to use Gana as a replacement for Delph when he was a very different player and has since proven what a good DCM he is and they had no clue how to use Veretout.  I remain convinced that if we had used Gana and Veretout as a two in CM behind Jack at 10 we would have had a much better season.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

The problem was that Tim Sherwood had no idea how to integrate the French players and get the best out of them and Garde just followed on.  They tried to use Gana as a replacement for Delph when he was a very different player and has since proven what a good DCM he is and they had no clue how to use Veretout.  I remain convinced that if we had used Gana and Veretout as a two in CM behind Jack at 10 we would have had a much better season.

The problem was we couldn’t defend. Every game we lost with Sherwood in charge was by 1 goal. Then when Garde took over it got even worse. You keep conceding shit goals the confidence soon drains out the team. Our back four and keeper were a complete shambles. 

7 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I really agree with you on that. If we can have a defender on loan, maybe a striker if we can’t afford the quality in terms of buying. With a bargain buy to be a back up and introduced slowly. 

That would give us a chance to identify a proper replacements.

How do we get a quality striker on loan?

6 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

How do we get a quality striker on loan?

You approach a massive club that has lots of quality young players who aren’t good enough to break in to the first team due to the quality of players at the club.

e.g. A Tammy Abraham

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

I have a funny feeling Kodjia will enjoy the PL. Don't get me wrong, I dont want to rely on him as first choice. But he's the type of character that will want to show his quality at the highest level and I'd keep him around. He does have the prowess if he fancies it and if his injuries havent taken too high a toll.

Plus, you know, we need to keep somebody. Every player we let go is another we have to replace. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You approach a massive club that has lots of quality young players who aren’t good enough to break in to the first team due to the quality of players at the club.

e.g. A Tammy Abraham

But there are very few, if any, "quality" strikers that are proven.  Even if we could get Tammy back on loan, he does not guarantee goals at the PL level - as his play off performances show he struggles against better CB's.  Name a couple of "quality young" strikers that it would be possible to take on loan but would come with a reasonable prospect of scoring goals in the PL?

5 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

But there are very few, if any, "quality" strikers that are proven.  Even if we could get Tammy back on loan, he does not guarantee goals at the PL level - as his play off performances show he struggles against better CB's.  Name a couple of "quality young" strikers that it would be possible to take on loan but would come with a reasonable prospect of scoring goals in the PL?

Non of them will guarantee goals but if the potential is there then the parent club won’t sell but maybe willing to loan. For example Sturidge to Bolton or Lukaku to West Brom.

Not that I think we will go down that route anyway. 

56 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The problem was we couldn’t defend. Every game we lost with Sherwood in charge was by 1 goal. Then when Garde took over it got even worse. You keep conceding shit goals the confidence soon drains out the team. Our back four and keeper were a complete shambles. 

Sorry mate, but your comment instantly reminded me of getting destroyed by Southampton in the league and Arsenal in the FA Cup final.

Sherwood was an atrocious manager.

I’ll admit, I started to like the guy when we got some good results and he kept us up with his “Pashun” but he proved how clueless he was after burdening us with trash like Richards, Lescott & Gestede. He has to take some responsibility for part of our decline and ultimate relegation. I think we handed long contracts to tripe like Gardner & Bacuna then too.

As heavily criticised as they were, our “transfer committee” at the time actually brought some quality players in but we did not know how to utilise them.

Garde was treated like crap and severely restricted - we never saw what he was capable of.

At last, we have a decent manager after having put up with so much crap.

B0371A33-BD2C-40DD-B525-74ADA247394B.jpeg