Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Where's the rest of the article? :D 

EDIT: 

Aston Villa are interested in Cordoba’s Andres Martin, reports Cordopolis on Tuesday.

They’re not the only ones. Barcelona, Real Madrid, Sevilla and Rayo Vallecano are also said to be keen, the first three initially for their second teams. It’s only Sevilla out of those who are thought to have made a proposal for the 19 year old attacking player.

Last season he played 32 matches in Spain’s second tier and scored seven goals, whilst also contributing four assists. He played in a variety of attacking positions: Striker, and left and right wing.

Eintracht Frankfurt have also been keen, and Cordoba plan to raise a relatively large fee.

We’d not seen Aston Villa interested reported previously, so did some digging. Last week, ABC Sevilla covered interest from the newly promoted Premier League club.

Jesús García Pitarch was said to have visited Cordoba personally to watch the player.

That report also credited Borussia Dortmund with interest, so it’s clear this could be a big transfer battle.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/aston-villa-set-tussle-barcelona-sevilla-spanish-winger/

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Seven goals and four assists in thirty games for Córdoba CF's first team, and has already been linked to Real Madrid and Barcelona. Sounds like he might be a bit too good for someone we'd buy just for the u23s.

Edited by useless

I think the owners will spend whatever Smith deems necessary, within reason, of course. They've said he's got a job long term even if we get relegated next season. With that in mind, it all depends on what the owners' aims are for next season.

I'm assuming it'll be that they will wish to stay up and if they've put pressure on Smith to do that then of course they are going to have to spend quite a bit - £100m at least probably. If they've asked Smith to be careful with spending and to do the best job he possibly can, Smith will obviously then have one eye on relegation and the wage bill of the squad if we went down, so would probably then only spend maybe less than £50m thinking we can handle that amount safely if we went down. 

Who knows what the thinking is at all levels? We will just have to wait and see. Personally, I think that what Fulham did will not put them off spending that kind of money. It's how you spend it that counts together with what you need in your team. If we are looking at 10 players of which 5 need to start, maybe they accept that the rebuild will cost £100m+. 

Edited by villarocker
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

In this thread many people have stated how much they think we can spend and how much they think we will. I've seen pretty much as you've stated, as low as £50m and as high as £140m.

With that context in mind I think it's fair enough to then say a signing as large as say £20m would be a significant dent in any of those possible budgets. I don't see why that point would be dismissed just because we don't have an official figure to work off. We don't have all the information on many subjects but we can still discuss them and speculate.

Maybe I should of stated in the context of the thread before my post, I just didn't think it was required. Certainly myself and others could be a little more specific in our language, but it's the internet, what can you do? 

No worries my Post wasn’t directed at you and I wasn’t trying to stop the speculation fun.

Id just read several posts where big assumptions were being mad3 and it seemed a bit daft.

Onwards and upwards !

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I know what you mean - historically, when you want a good CB you go to Italy.

When you want the brain on the pitch in CM, you go to Germany.

You want a tricky winger - you go to Spain.

You simply don't think of England as a place where good keepers come from 😂

Gordon Banks and David Seaman say Hi!

1 hour ago, Teale's 'tache said:

In this thread many people have stated how much they think we can spend and how much they think we will. I've seen pretty much as you've stated, as low as £50m and as high as £140m.

With that context in mind I think it's fair enough to then say a signing as large as say £20m would be a significant dent in any of those possible budgets. I don't see why that point would be dismissed just because we don't have an official figure to work off. We don't have all the information on many subjects but we can still discuss them and speculate.

Maybe I should of stated in the context of the thread before my post, I just didn't think it was required. Certainly myself and others could be a little more specific in our language, but it's the internet, what can you do? 

Leaving aside the fact we don't actually know whether the budget is somewhere between those figures, we have absolutely no idea if there even is a budget at all, if it's £140m then £20m is nothing really. That's quite an important point to note. 

I have no problem speculating over players who will cost well in excess of that. Guilbert, El Ghazi, Jota, Hause and Mings would cost in the region of £30-35m should all be completed. If they wanted to they could double that haul and then blow an absolute £50m wad on a striker for all it matters in reality, it makes very little difference to us *how* the money is spent. Only that the quality overall is on point. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

That Andres Martin link is interesting. With the volume of players we are going to have to sign, including some for the B team. Perhaps a good idea would be to get a lot of promising talent in, to fill squad and B team up, then let them compete for places with the addition of a few "safer" (more expensive) signings to make the spine of the team. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

The Gibraltar & San Marino national teams have international experience but i would fancy a decent non-league league team against them. Playing a few mostly friendlies & qualifiers for shit nations in half-empty stadiums means absolutely nothing

Yeah buts that’s not case is it. Kodjia and Elmo would have played at a good standard for acn. Hogan is shit but still gets game time as Conor for Roi. Kalinic I Croatia’s usually number one for them.

Then you have Chester who was part of a very good wales side as is Taylor. Mcginn getting time, for Scotland now. 

Who have  sheff United and Norwich got?

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah buts that’s not case is it. Kodjia and Elmo would have played at a good standard for acn. Hogan is shit but still gets game time as Conor for Roi. Kalinic I Croatia’s usually number one for them.

Then you have Chester who was part of a very good wales side as is Taylor. Mcginn getting time, for Scotland now. 

Who have  sheff United and Norwich got?

Kodija couldn’t even get in our championship side. Elmo turns 32 in September. Chester has publicly admitted his injury means he may never be same again.  Taylor was probably our weakest link last season. Kalinic couldn’t get in the team and Hogan is shit. 

Yes they are all have caps but I’m struggling to see how that means anything for next season. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 3