Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 hour ago, sne said:

Here's hoping we have our scouting structure and everything else needed in place with Jesus, Juanfran and whatnot.

Brentford had all this in place. Smith ain't going to be able to scout and sign players while at the same time develop the players here and build a working team and have time to go on holiday.

So far so good from the last window.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Sure hope so.

Just hope it's not all players from the lower tiers in England. 

Hopefully that French guy is a sign of what's to come, we need a mix of ages and experience.

I think will be a mix of both

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I don't want to see anyone older than 30 coming in, and no loans. Lets build properly for the first time since we got relegated.

I think thats club policy now. All January signings in mid 20s and hungry for different reasons

I’m not against all loan signings, if we managed to get Tammy back on loan, I wouldn’t turn that down. It wont happen obviously, but you get my point.

I’m also not against loans with some sort of option to buy...option, not obligation.

But on the whole yeah, young players with a point to prove.

• Like 1

Biggest challenge is going to be to get a striker who can do the business for me. 

We've had such an atrocious record with them.  For the first time though we haven't got the money to spunk up mega bucks on someone who has scored a few.  We need to find an unknown gem instead like every other team has had to do in this league. 

Very excited to see what the crew come up with summer .... I can see one name signing  along with a bunch of untested unknowns ....and that excites me .... we have spunked/wasted too much ££€€$$ on supposedly “ known”. Quantities I embrace a change and different approach .. let’s hope it’s more successful than Lamberts foray into this market ... Helenius ... Tonev.. but also on the plus side pre-injury Okore, Vlaar and Benteke 

Ps:

I do feel for poor helenius who will be forever known as the player who had his shorts pulled down 

Edited by thabucks
Spelling & grammar

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

Biggest challenge is going to be to get a striker who can do the business for me. 

We've had such an atrocious record with them.  For the first time though we haven't got the money to spunk up mega bucks on someone who has scored a few.  We need to find an unknown gem instead like every other team has had to do in this league. 

In this league average strikers do well too like Daryl Murphy, Cameron Jerome, Billy Shatp etc. Problem is we buy players for big money who lose that hunger with wages we pay

• Like 1

Chelsea have 42 players out on loan. We should be using the Terry connection to tap into that.

Might pick up a gem who faded into obscurity like Marko Marin, now at Red Star Belgrade, his transfer fee there was 700k!

I wouldn't be surprised if Smith tries to reintegrate Hogan, maybe the whole point of sending him out on loan was to get some more playing time (not that I think he's playing much) ready for next season when the team will be geared more towards the way they played at Brentford.

Really hate saying it, but I think Jack will go. For him and us as we can use the money on the rest of the squad.

With the January window having been so quiet, I wonder if some time was spent setting up deals/talks for the summer. We're going to need an influx of players early on in the window.

21 hours ago, Zatman said:

In this league average strikers do well too like Daryl Murphy, Cameron Jerome, Billy Shatp etc. Problem is we buy players for big money who lose that hunger with wages we pay

Billy Sharp isn’t average, wherever he’s been throughout his career, he’s scored goals

On 27/02/2019 at 23:06, thabucks said:

Very excited to see what the crew come up with summer .... I can see one name signing  along with a bunch of untested unknowns ....and that excites me .... we have spunked/wasted too much ££€€$$ on supposedly “ known”. Quantities I embrace a change and different approach .. let’s hope it’s more successful than Lamberts foray into this market ... Helenius ... Tonev.. but also on the plus side pre-injury Okore, Vlaar and Benteke 

Ps:

I do feel for poor helenius who will be forever known as the player who had his shorts pulled down 

Villa have had their shorts pulled down over several recent transfers.

I don't think thats going to happen again with Smith in charge. I'm looking forward to the summer transfer window to see a new hopefully much younger squad develop.

• Like 1

On 28/02/2019 at 03:20, A'Villan said:

Chelsea have 42 players out on loan. We should be using the Terry connection to tap into that.

Might pick up a gem who faded into obscurity like Marko Marin, now at Red Star Belgrade, his transfer fee there was 700k!

They way things are we may need all 42 of them! 🙂

• Haha 1

We've got:

Goalkeepers

• Kalinic
  • Nyland
  • Sark

I think we're okay there.

Right back

• Guilbert
  • Bree
  • Elmohamady

Again, no panic.

Centreback

• Chester

Cupboard slightly bare.

Left back

• Taylor

Erm...

Defensive midfield

• Bjarnason
  • Tshibola
  • Gardner

I have a feeling they'll all leave in the summer.

Central midfield

• McGinn
  • Lansbury
  • Grealish
  • Hourihane
  • Doyle-Hayes
  • Ramsey
  • (Bjarnason)

Right Wing

• (Elmohamady)

Left Wing

• Kodjia 
  • Green

Centre Forward

• Hogan
  • McCormack
  • Davis
  • Hepburn-Murphy
  • (Kodjia)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Billy Sharp isn’t average, wherever he’s been throughout his career, he’s scored goals

He's average in the fact that he's not good enough to play any higher than this level.

So based on that, I think we need (in order):

1. Starting CB (Mings please)
  2. Starting Left back
  3. Back up CB
  4. Right winger
  5. Defensive midfielder
  6. Left Winger
  7. Back up Right winger
  8. Back up CB
  9. Striker
  10. Central midfielder
  11. Back up Defensive midfielder

I don't think we can afford to go out and buy those (at least) eleven players - I think we need to be looking at trying to get as many young and hungry as we can afford, four or five on loans and a couple of out of contract players with a little experience.

It's a big ask.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

So based on that, I think we need (in order):

1. Starting CB (Mings please)
  2. Starting Left back
  3. Back up CB
  4. Right winger
  5. Defensive midfielder
  6. Left Winger
  7. Back up Right winger
  8. Back up CB
  9. Striker
  10. Central midfielder
  11. Back up Defensive midfielder

I don't think we can afford to go out and buy those (at least) eleven players - I think we need to be looking at trying to get as many young and hungry as we can afford, four or five on loans and a couple of out of contract players with a little experience.

It's a big ask.

We have the option to buy Hause for £2/3 million i believe. He looks promising, i can see Smith wanting to bring him in permanently. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

We have the option to buy Hause for £2/3 million i believe. He looks promising, i can see Smith wanting to bring him in permanently. 

Yep, I'd look to buy Hause and Mings - I think they match what the squad needs and they both look a good fit for the club. 

I seem to remember there being an option in the El Ghazi deal too.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

He's average in the fact that he's not good enough to play any higher than this level.

You think he’s average? No-one’s taken a chance on him, wherever he’s been he’s scored goals throughout his career, I’d take him here in the Summer